...or at least that's how I feel.
My misses didn't seem that interested in my DIY triumph (as I warmed my feet on her at 1am after getting in from the garage) so I need to brag to more sympathetic readers.
I'm not very mechanically minded so when my cross/commute bike started to grind, squeal, and drop the chain regularly (I was actually looking for safe places to pull in as I moved onto the small ring!) I did the manly thing and trawled fleabay for the parts I needed. With a handful of internet printouts, bike maintenence book, and a thermos of strong coffee I headed out to the garage. In three hours I changed both front and reach mech (nice 2nd hand 105), replaced both cables (a lot of fa**ying around with Sora shifters), shifted a reluctant square-tapered BB and fitted an external BB and new crankset (with correct size cranks). With more coffee (and fig rolls by this time, I was hittng the wall) the setting up of both mechs was easier than I thought. I now know the mysteries of the 'L' and 'H' screws that only comes to the truly enlightened.
I had the chance to go out for a nice test ride this morning; in the sun. What a difference, all noise gone; smooth rolling cranks and fearless shifting. The quick test ride soon extended itself into a 40k jaunt. Part of the pleasure of riding really does come from tinkering about in the garage.