Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New road wheels?

Hi, I got a Ridley X-Ride 2011 in December 2012. It was for Cyclo-Cross racing and training so came with Tufo Mud Tubs. However, now the road season has come I would like to use it for road training and racing. The tubs are too expensive to waste the tread on the road and they are also not nvery easy to repair, so I've been thinking about getting some new road wheels for it. I have a budget of <£500. They will be for training and racing so I am looking for something relatively light. I do not want carbon rims because changing brake pads is a faff and I'm looking for clinchers, not tubs!
PS. I saw the Campagnolo Zonda wheels on wiggle which looked good, has anyone ever tried them?
Thanks!  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ur_mum | 11 years ago
0 likes

took a trip to lbs and left with some £330 hope wheels! Lets see how they do...

CliveB | 11 years ago
0 likes

I also recommend the Wheelsmith Race 23s at £450. Had them for about 6 months now and very pleased with them.

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'He says it's also the quietest freehub he's ever owned.'

who's going to buy those then? It's not a good wheel unless it clicks like a good 'un  1

Squiggle replied to andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

'He says it's also the quietest freehub he's ever owned.'

who's going to buy those then? It's not a good wheel unless it clicks like a good 'un  1

The quietest freehub I've ever owned is on my mavics because I stuck some grease on the inside to shut it up!

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

A friend has just bought these:
www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/63-wheelsmith-race23
The look amazing, and sound like they could be incredible value. He says it's also the quietest freehub he's ever owned.
I'll keep tabs on his thoughts on them for the next year or so and probably splurge on a set myself when my RS80s give up.

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

As per the other threads on here, zondas come highly recommended. Light, stiff and reliable for me so far. You could spend more with your budget (eurus can be had for just over 500, for example) but the law of diminishing returns will apply!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes. I have them and wholeheartedly recommend them as quick, light and rigid. Stick on a pair of Conti GP4000Ss and you're away. Shiny Bikes have them for £268

Eg3ftp1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Zondas are great all rounders, I train, race and club ride on mine, and very good value.

Latest Comments