Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Unofficial RideLondon 100

Does anyone like the idea of an meet up and ride of the RideLondon 100 route? I'm a bit gutted about not getting a place and I thought maybe there were a few other people who missed out too. There's no reason however why a group couldn't ride the route the week before.

If you're interested please note your interest here. The basics would be;

• The exact (or as near as possible) route of the official RideLondon 100
  • Friendly, leisurely, non competitive attitude
  • A steady speed, rather than an all-out race
  • Cafe/tea stop about half way
  • Warm feelings of achievement cycling down The Mall

We'd need;

• Detailed information on the route
  • Some way of navigating whilst riding without having to check maps at every junction
  • Suggestions for a cafe/tea stop from someone who knows the area
  • A bit of organisation

We could call it RoadLondon 100.

Current interest;
qwerky, drmatthewhardy, Raleigh, Liam Barr, rbx, djgorey + 1, hairybiker

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the route will not be good if the roads are open.

stealfwayne | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is a good idea so count me in - You (I) could still do the charity thing I think - major A roads will be a risk but no more than normal riding unless as mentioned earlier the group is larger than 10-15 (all stick to single file for them routes, keep em happy) and I think I will be the slowest. But it is not a race is it.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, weirdly enough I made map from the PDF on the official site just yesterday. Because of the numbers, it's mostly A and B roads, so there's no way I'd want to ride the official route apart from on the day of closed roads.

It does look like a pretty easy ride, apart from the distance. Only about 800m of climbing, and that's in one 20km block.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/178177790

MattT53 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. May well be up for it.

qwerky | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd prefer to do it before (one or two weeks) so that when watching it on the telly I'll be able to recognise and remember back.

hairybiker | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm up for it. Could always just join in on the day, no worries about route-finding then  3 Get some fake numbers printed, who's to know  39

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I see it more as a turn up at 8:30 from wherever it starts, everyone turns their Garmins on, one group bombs round, the other plods...

Less of a massive organised thing, too much effort.

Now... if only someone could drive the course this weekend  4

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm up for this and a mate of mine might be too.

We missed out on the Ride London so this would be good.

I might be able to help with accommodation if enough people need it the night before

rbx | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about doing it the week after? In that case the exact route will be known, including the exact GPX files freely available.

And yes, I'd be interested in doing this as well... I'll be in the slowest group.

Liam Barr | 11 years ago
0 likes

I like the idea :). I've been trying to study the map in my excitement for it but I just can't work out some of the roads that'll be used so I think good plan and there wouldn't be anything wrong with two groups so if some start to struggle they can drop back a vice versa.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Definitely up 4.

What would be fantastic.

And I mean... FANTASTIC.

Would be if someone could ride/drive the route.

And make it into a gpx. for garmin.

I mean like... wow.

Shall we contact Rapha, LMNH, Vulpine, MoreVelo and such like?

qwerky | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't envision huge numbers! If enough people are interested we could split into two or more groups (eg faster group and slower group).

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Be careful how big the group gets - our club runs tend to be fine with 10-12 people, but 20 and upwards is too unwieldy and causes problems for traffic trying to pass.

Have fun though! Why don't you get in touch with something like Look Mum No Hands and see if they'll do a deal at the end of the route. Discount cakes or something for your group...

matthewn5 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Quite like this idea.

Latest Comments