Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

NOT IMPRESSED

Is there really any need to keep adding these new races at the last minute.....Ok so we lost KBK due to bad weather...so what...it happens....Paris-Nice is about to start and yet fringe races are being added all the time...
People have paid money to enter a competition where the goal posts are continually being moved and in my opinion its getting too much...
We enter these things because we are competitive and so at times you sort of feel obliged to enter races that to be honest if they are not on Eurosport people dont really give a damn about,just so that you dont lose ground on the season long competition...
Its just wrong....

This game used to be fantastic,,,but Im afraid that some people are over complicating it to relieve their own boredom....

At the start of the season once the designated races are picked that should be it...

Well at least thats my opinion anyway....  2

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

as usual

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Enrique. STOP pulling up old posts from the start of the season please. You have your very own thread, which people reply to you in, if you have a problem...please go there  3

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Enrique. STOP...  3

Of course!

But, please realize that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDmslyGmGI

And that you sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBkiBbO4_4

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can somebody with privs either delete or block this thread....The intention of my post was not to stir controversy mainly to say...If you have something that works,then dont mess with it too much.....

And Gkam I have always been in favour of including races of the fairer sex.......I just think that these things should be added close season....In my opinion that way it would seem a bit more professional and organised....

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

In fairness I think STEVESPROs main point is valid, don't dick around too much with races once they're under way.

As others have said the calender itself is still a work in progress so there will be changes to it but once a race, or group of races like the classics, has started we probably shouldn't mess around with them. Obviously there were special circumstances this year but next year hopefully we get the right races in from the start which for me would be Omloop/KBK and the trio of Italian races.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now now kids, play nice. I've tried to be flexible in my approach to races. Things do happen that are outwith my control and so things need to change. Like KBK being cancelled.

The early classics was just called that, it never stated which rides I could or could not add. That's why I put in a couple more.

I guess some people won't be happy that things might be changing to squeeze in the woman's world cup races aswell then  3

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think this thread has gone massively off track....My point was merely an opinion that once the races have been selected at the start of the season,then that should remain as the format for the season...

It does not affect me as I have the time to put in the research if I need/want to....

I just think that it is slightly unfair for some people who do not log onto the site on a daily basis...

noddy69 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It can be frustrating after picking teams to log in a few days later to see the races all changed at short notice. Not everyone is on all the time and teams picked for certain races then get skewed and no points gained at all, but still its only a game.

letsgoup replied to noddy69 | 11 years ago
0 likes
noddy69 wrote:

but still its only a game.

But I feel the same way about fantasy cycling as Bill Shankley felt about football  13 If you read alot of the threads you would think it is life and death  16

It is only a game and I want to play every comp and do my best in every comp. Its not about prizes for me. My main aim is to finish as high as possible at the end of the season- no priizes for that and I don't care either way. Lets face it we know come the TDF the big hitters will come out to play for the bike- They won't be around all year round. I think the hard core are in it for fun. I used to be a competitive runner winning many titles because I trained as hard as I possibly could, because I wanted too. Many people in those races had the ability to be winners but they choose other things in life than training like a dog. Road cc is the same. If you want to dedicate a lot of time to it, then good luck to you. If you don't. Don't complain that it takes too much time to be successful. The level of effort put in is up to each individual. The more you put in the more you get out and this game is no different  26  26

Stumps replied to letsgoup | 11 years ago
0 likes
letsgoup wrote:
noddy69 wrote:

but still its only a game.

But I feel the same way about fantasy cycling as Bill Shankley felt about football  13 If you read alot of the threads you would think it is life and death  16

It is only a game and I want to play every comp and do my best in every comp. Its not about prizes for me. My main aim is to finish as high as possible at the end of the season- no priizes for that and I don't care either way. Lets face it we know come the TDF the big hitters will come out to play for the bike- They won't be around all year round. I think the hard core are in it for fun. I used to be a competitive runner winning many titles because I trained as hard as I possibly could, because I wanted too. Many people in those races had the ability to be winners but they choose other things in life than training like a dog. Road cc is the same. If you want to dedicate a lot of time to it, then good luck to you. If you don't. Don't complain that it takes too much time to be successful. The level of effort put in is up to each individual. The more you put in the more you get out and this game is no different  26  26

Totally agree mate, its addictive  4

Ghedebrav | 11 years ago
0 likes

TBH I like the overall table though. Me and a mate are both looking be top 100 come the season end (N.B. probably won't happen), and it adds an extra layer to the competition as a result.

If you aren't interested in it, don't look at it  1

TERatcliffe26 replied to Ghedebrav | 11 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

TBH I like the overall table though. Me and a mate are both looking be top 100 come the season end (N.B. probably won't happen), and it adds an extra layer to the competition as a result.

If you aren't interested in it, don't look at it  1

I don't think thats quite the angle people are looking at though. I want to finish high overall, but the problem is that the overall contains all races, so to stay high you must play all races, and this is not convenient for all to do. And as we don't want to reduce the number of races as that also keeps people involved, we want a situation where they don't feel obliged to play all races if they don't want to. So I actually like Drheaton's idea in a way, but id still say the majority of the game is WT races.

But we are learning as we go along, as we have introduced a fair few new races compared to previous years, so getting the balance on everything right straight away was always going to be difficult.

But the fact there is no prizes for the overall, does reduce the pressure on people to play.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd agree with what's been said elsewhere, that removing or restricting the 'overall' league would help people stop thinking of it as a season long competition and start thinking of it as a set of different separate races you can drop in and out of.

Just including the World Tour races in the overall might work as these are also the ones with most coverage.

Then people can pick and choose which of the extra races they take part in without suffering in the overall.

Ghedebrav | 11 years ago
0 likes

Really enjoying it so far, no complaints  4

enrique replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

Really enjoying it so far, no complaints  4

Me neither! I love this place!  1

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

my preference would be for races that are televised - I appreciate not everyone has eurosport but it makes the racing more enjoyable if you have a 'vested interest'.

Alan Tullett replied to TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

my preference would be for races that are televised - I appreciate not everyone has eurosport but it makes the racing more enjoyable if you have a 'vested interest'.

I will be glad when I can see something live, but to be honest the cycling season is only just starting. If the fantasy game began with Paris-Nice I wouldn't complain.

sanderville replied to TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

my preference would be for races that are televised

I think prizes should be restricted to races that are on mainstream TV such as Eurosport, Murdoch, ITV, etc., just because it is easier to follow and invest the mental effort in something that is more fun because you can see it. But that's probably already the case - I can't be arsed reading the rules.

Some of the races so far have been difficult to get coverage of - either geoblocking stops me or the feeds are just so crap, e.g. the Omloop where the blurred and stuttering video gave me a headache.

But the fact that a lot of these early comps don't really count for anything means it's just extra fun if you can be bothered. I paid the premium just so the road.cc mob could afford to spend the time on running the game, I know I'm never going to win anything because the riders I choose are all treacherous vermin who would rather lose than earn me points.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

You could even go as far as removing the total overall?

yeah, i can just imagine the silence on this forum if we were to do that.  39

we're not 'continually moving the goalposts' anyway, we're just trying to make the early classics – which has been a learning experience – as interesting a comp as possible. one race got cancelled, so we put another one in. and one we couldn't get information for, so we swapped it out. There's no prizes for this one. It's not like anyone's being done out of a bike.

i'm aware that people are paying money to play, which is why we're trying to make the experience as good as we can. we won't always do everything right and you can't please everyone anyway. but hey, at least you can talk to us, eh?

northstar replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

There's no prizes for this one.

Say what? :o  3

Stumps replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:
Quote:

You could even go as far as removing the total overall?

yeah, i can just imagine the silence on this forum if we were to do that.  39

we're not 'continually moving the goalposts' anyway, we're just trying to make the early classics – which has been a learning experience – as interesting a comp as possible. one race got cancelled, so we put another one in. and one we couldn't get information for, so we swapped it out. There's no prizes for this one. It's not like anyone's being done out of a bike.

i'm aware that people are paying money to play, which is why we're trying to make the experience as good as we can. we won't always do everything right and you can't please everyone anyway. but hey, at least you can talk to us, eh?

Dave, not that it makes any difference, but i'm really happy we have more races. It is time consuming but as you said there are no prizes so it means you can mess about with teams and pick people who might do well instead of going for the usual suspects. Keep it up  1

0 likes

you won't be best pleased that we've made another change to the early classics then, either  39

0 likes

from the spring classics there'll be a separate overall table for the non-premium races only. so you can just do that if you don't fancy the smaller races. there seems to be a reasonable demand for the smaller comps; 93% of the premium players have entered teams for the early classics.

to be honest we're trying to move the game focus away from the overall as much as we can. it's not like fantasy football; you should be able to dip in and out and do the competitions you want to.

TheHatter replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

you should be able to dip in and out and do the competitions you want to.

Totally agree - managing two teams throughout the year is way too time time intensive.

cherrypicked replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think there is quite an attraction to the overall, which is at least part of the cause of this issue.

Dave Atkinson wrote:

from the spring classics there'll be a separate overall table for the non-premium races only.

This is good and maybe this will help people target this as the overall, and just target other competitions of interest. You could even go as far as removing the total overall?

Dave Atkinson wrote:

there seems to be a reasonable demand for the smaller comps; 93% of the premium players have entered teams for the early classics.

I probably wouldn't have bothered with the early classics if it wasn't part of the overall. If it wasn't part of the overall, then a better indication of how many people would get involved might be how many got involved the competitions that were run in a forum thread last year, which from memory was generally up to 10. Well, that is probably exaggerating the other way a little...

I completely agree with

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

People have paid money to enter a competition where the goal posts are continually being moved and in my opinion its getting too much...

The last point at which a competition should be changed is before the series is opened.

It is also obvious to me that a lot of people are out there saying nothing (those who don't necessarily have the time to write comments), and it is only the voices of those who have a lot of time to hang out on the forum who are adding to the debate.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I take your point but I think in this instance its fair enough to add a race to make up for one being cancelled.

Most people are happy for more races to be featured and, given the number of smaller and medium sized stage races that have been featured over the last couple of years, I'd argue that actually the one day races have been pretty under represented in the past with just the biggest races included. Expanding the calendar to take in races like Omloop, KBK and Stride Bianchi is a good thing in my opinion as they are at least as valid as the Vuelta Catalunya or Pais Vasco which are coming up shortly. Each of the one day races has history and relevance above and beyond whether the its on Eurosport or not.

Yes adding races at short notice isn't ideal and yes, where rosters are announced last minute it makes it difficult, but the main issue seems to be that you don't want to take part in all the races but sustain a high overall placing. There's nothing anyone can do abut that.

Personally I'm not fussed by the overall. Its nice to do well but last year I was burnt out during the Dauphine/Tour de Suisse so I just took a break. If you don't feel like you want to race everything then don't  1

Cirage replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not Impressed  39 , not impressed by the original post. I think it's great that you are flexible and looking after all followers, I am not saying you just ignore these self centered individuals, after all if they do not want to partake in a particular event, they do have the option of missing it out. You should be congratulated for finding the time and effort to provide for all.

chiv30 replied to Cirage | 11 years ago
0 likes
Cirage wrote:

Not Impressed  39 , not impressed by the original post. I think it's great that you are flexible and looking after all followers, I am not saying you just ignore these self centered individuals, after all if they do not want to partake in a particular event, they do have the option of missing it out. You should be congratulated for finding the time and effort to provide for all.

I totally agree with this , as a cycling fan I have paid a premium to have some fun with asmany races as iI can , if people wish to moan then don't pay the premium to play!

Also people need to remember , organising a fantasy game of any sort is time consuming so how about you thank them for their time and effort rather than slate them?

STEVESPRO 79 replied to chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dear Mr chiv30.....I have been a member for 83 weeks and 5 days longer than you and so I think that I have a right to an opinion....which I once again state thats all that it was....If you troll through all my forum posts you will see that I have given the organisers of this site far more praise than I have grumbling on various issues during my time on here.....
.....Sport like life is about differences of opinion at times.....we are all entitled to them...

enrique replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

...Sport like life is about differences of opinion at times.....we are all entitled to them...

What beautiful words!  1

Pages

Latest Comments