Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Water bottles

Mrs C says that my water bottles should be replaced frequently on the basis that old bottles harbour nasty bacteria which could make me ill.

I've never seen this advice in a magazine or forum, is she right?

If so it's going to be an expensive and environmentally unfriendly exercise, especially when summer arrives and I'm taking 2 bottles on every ride.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Eg3ftp1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I put mine in the dishwasher about once a month. They've never made me ill.

Tjuice | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dishwasher every time. Been using the same bottles for years.

Either it's fine, or it's slowly killing me, or it's doing my immune system the world of good (like having kids go to nursery for the first time)

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Give them a rinse in cold water after a ride then in the dishwasher every week or so.

foxyloxy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Every ride my 2 bottles get a wash outside,then once a week they get a Milton tablet each,after a good soaking with a milton tab,they get a good flushing with cold water,and are ready for the next rides.SAFE ENOUGH FOR BABIES,SAFE ENOUGH FOR BIKIES!Wash out thoroughly you wont taste the Milton.New bottles 2 yrs ago still looking ok,3 rides per week.Enjoy,FOXYLOXY  16

Spangly Shiny | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bruclens for me. None of chlorine aftertaste you get with baby bottle products.

FMOAB | 11 years ago
0 likes

Btw, baby bottle sterilising tablets for me too. Sainsbury's own brand are a good size for a single bottle and you get about 72 of them for a quid

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i took the spout out of one of my bottles last week.. there was some horrific pulsing green gunk under there, suffice to say they get cleaned properly now every week

doc | 11 years ago
0 likes

In days of old, when riders and teams did not seem to have a limitless supply of bottles with which to litter the place, a standard job was getting all bottles, fill a bath in the hotel with hot water, and empty a large amount of Milton or similar into it and submerge the bottles and lids. Leave for 30 minutes, rinse and scrub clean bottles, no problem with bugs.

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

Plus 1 for sterilising tablets, you can get them for 99p for a box of 64 use them all the time no probs with bottles.

cjk99 | 11 years ago
0 likes

i tend to use something like milton with mine, chuck them in a sink full of water and leave em for a couple of hours to soak

Psycling | 11 years ago
0 likes

I tend to soak mine in very hot water after each ride. Using energy products and not washing them properly could be a bit dodgy. Also as many have mentioned, most can go on the top rack of the dishwasher. That said, if the Mrs is that concerned she won't mind you buying some nice new ones will she!

mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

ubercurmudgeon - you'd be better taking the mud off the outside first.

scranville replied to mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mine live in the freezer.

ubercurmudgeon | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use the sterilising fluid or tablets that all good supermarkets stock for baby bottles. Pop half a tablet in each bottle, another half tablet in an old ice cream tub for the bottle tops, fill them with water, wait half an hour, then rinse out and scrub the mud off the exterior surfaces. Why nobody has launched a "performance" version for cyclists, with the customary 2000% mark-up, I don't know.

FMOAB replied to ubercurmudgeon | 11 years ago
0 likes
ubercurmudgeon wrote:

Why nobody has launched a "performance" version for cyclists, with the customary 2000% mark-up, I don't know.

Have you seen the price of camelback sterilising tablets!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/camelbak/cleaning-tablets-ec006609#f...

mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you not wash them; how often does she throw out chopping boards? Unless they are all scratched up inside they won't be providing anywhere for bugs to hide from cleaning.

Personally I'd be more worried about BPAs, which I'm not about to start worrying about! I've got, and use, some ridiculously old bottles; it's more likely cow and sheep shit washing off the fields and getting sprayed up by your wheels that'll make you ill than the contents of your own bottles.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you get ones with large lids which can be unscrewed and removed completely then you can put them through the dishwasher after each use and the hot water kills the bugs.

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

You're not likely to get much living in them if you only use them for water. If they've got sports drinks in them, then that's lots of food for bacteria. Don't leave them sitting with sports drink or any residue thereof after your ride - rinse them out. A dishwasher will kill anything - as long as the plastic will survive it. The valve can be the trickiest thing to clean properly.

tysona | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely just take care to wash and dry them well? Get a good bottle brush, and there's no reason why they would need replacing any sooner than other plastic containers, tupperware, plastic jugs etc.

Latest Comments