Forum's Scorum's Mini League

by ray silvester   February 24, 2013  

INDIVIDUAL COMPETITION WINNERS

Tour Down Under: Alan Tullett(Pure Fantasy)
TDU Purist: Gkam84(Up and Doon Hills)
Tour of Qatar: enrique(Team Don Q)
TOQ Purist: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)
Tour of Mediterranean: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)
TOM Purist: TERatcliffe26(Ratcliffe26)
Tour of Oman: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)
TOO Purist: Teratcliffe26(Ratcliffe26)
Volta Ao Algarve: TERatcliffe(Ratcliffe26)
VAA Purist: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)
Early Classics: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)
EC Purist: stevemarks(skidders skeletons)
Paris-Nice: drheaton(Mostly Hopeless)
PAN Purist: Dave Atkinson(Blankety Blanco)
Tirreno-Adriatico: robacairns(Team Cairns)
TIA Purist: NeilG83(Team Sky Blue)
Volta A Catalunya: Jonas Lorenzen(Pharmacie Roulant)
VAC Purist: stepho(Carrick Climbers)
Vuelta Pais Vasco: JAndrewHill(Les Miserables 2013)
VPV Purist: Wig_Billy(Veelers Wheel)

82 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Slightly easier for me, bringing in Contador, Porte, Quintana etc but have to say, if either of us picks a breakaway guy, that could make all the difference.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
2nd April 2013 - 20:54

like this
Like (1)

I'll be gambling on Shrek!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
2nd April 2013 - 22:10

like this
Like (0)

Im gambling on Gorka, but not gambling on henao and contador...well a bit of a gamble on henao, as he may sacrifice himself for porte...

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

...

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1209 posts]
2nd April 2013 - 22:51

like this
Like (0)

120pt+ performances from JAndrewHill and Hugh Lupus saw them take up the first 2 positions in the Forum's Scorum's VueltaPaisVasco and the Basque Country looks to be to JAndrew's liking as he leads the purists as we go into the mountains.

As discussed earlier DrHeaton and TERatcliffe continue their din-dong battle for a top 5 spot and JAndrewHill climbed another spot to 9th in the Forum's Scorum's overall.
Wig_Billy has 540 standard and 391 purist over the bunch.

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 13:00

like this
Like (0)

JAndrewHill wrote:
Whos number one after stage one of the Basque tour Ray?
#itcantlastlong Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

That'll be me.....with the inevitable Wig_Billy leading the purists in the Forum's Scourums VueltaPaisVasco.....but not a bad effort yourself JAndrewHill lying second in both!!

That little burst from JAndrewHill also saw him re-enter the top10 at the expense of NeilG83 in the Forum's Scorum's overall.Wig_Billy now has a 554 lead in standard and 385 in purist.

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 13:01

like this
Like (0)

I reckon this Hugh Lupus guy has got some inside track on my picks, and is matching me pedal by pedal. Its as if he can read my mind.... Big Grin

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

...

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1209 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 19:46

like this
Like (1)

JAndrewHill wrote:
I reckon this Hugh Lupus guy has got some inside track on my picks, and is matching me pedal by pedal. Its as if he can read my mind.... Big Grin

Quite right...i know your every thought, and I know where you live. Devil Devil

posted by Hugh Lupus [31 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 19:59

like this
Like (0)

Bloody hell, Wig Billy's PURIST team are top of the table. That's just taking the piss. Big Grin

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 21:09

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
Bloody hell, Wig Billy's PURIST team are top of the table. That's just taking the piss. Big Grin

Thought the same thing. Unbelievable.

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 21:46

like this
Like (0)

You can blame Txurruka for that. He's responsible for almost 1/3 of my purist score. Surprise

posted by Wig_Billy [574 posts]
3rd April 2013 - 23:23

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
Bloody hell, Wig Billy's PURIST team are top of the table. That's just taking the piss. Big Grin

And that just about sums things up for Stage 3 of the Vuelta Pais Vasco!!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
4th April 2013 - 11:39

like this
Like (0)

A really high scoring stage 4 of the Forum's Scorum's Vuelta Pais Vasco and it needed a 231 from chrisdstripes and a massive 255 from NeilG83 to go 1st and 2nd above Wig_Billy's purist mob.....Wig_Billy obviously leads the purist competition.

The FS overall league is seeing a constant skirmish between NeilG83,silas chime and JAndrewHill for 9th/10th/11th but they seem to be dragging 8th place Jaonas Lorenzen back into the mix.
Wig-Billy has 583 standard and 434 purist over the field.

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
5th April 2013 - 11:49

like this
Like (0)

NeilG83 takes the lead of the Forum's Scorum's Vuelta Pais Vasco thanks to another massive score(257!!)and is currently in the form of his life but chrisdstripes scored 195pts and still dropped 3 places into 4th!! Wig_Billy seems to have tied up the purist prize a while ago.

Alan Tullett has moved up into 2nd spot in the Forum's Scorum's Overall above ray silvester(OUCH)in what looks like a season long battle and NeilG83's Vuelta form has seen him move from 10th to 7th during the time we've been in the Basque Country.
Wig_Billy holds leads of 566 standard and 453 purist.....that's a long way up the road!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
6th April 2013 - 8:37

like this
Like (0)

ray silvester wrote:
NeilG83 takes the lead of the Forum's Scorum's Vuelta Pais Vasco thanks to another massive score(257!!)and is currently in the form of his life but chrisdstripes scored 195pts and still dropped 3 places into 4th!! Wig_Billy seems to have tied up the purist prize a while ago.

Alan Tullett has moved up into 2nd spot in the Forum's Scorum's Overall above ray silvester(OUCH)in what looks like a season long battle and NeilG83's Vuelta form has seen him move from 10th to 7th during the time we've been in the Basque Country.
Wig_Billy holds leads of 566 standard and 453 purist.....that's a long way up the road!!

We haven't even done one Grand Tour yet! It's not over till the fat lady sings!

posted by Alan Tullett [1434 posts]
6th April 2013 - 22:07

like this
Like (0)

If we can use Vuelta Pais Vasco terminology then NeilG83(Richie Porte) got the shock of his life when JAndrewHill(Nairo Quintana) turned in a world class ITT to take the Forum's scorum's VPV.
Wig_Billy coasted in with the purist title.....first post updated to show the winners of a pretty well contested race.

JAndrewHill took his 9th place back as a result in the Forum's Scorum's overall and the peloton were last seen employin binoculars to spot Wig_Billy at 528 standard and 437 purist(both coming down a bit!!)

I absolutely love Alan Tullett's fighting spirit but hey...Alan....I've just seen Susan Boyle gargling(one of the PR cobbles)!!

I actually feel great about my Paris_Roubaix mob tomorrow fielding the following.....and I just realised that they all have rather impressive jawlines!!

The German Sprinter(Yaah)
The Machine
The Swiss Gladiator
The Green Dutchie
'There it is'
The UK Docker
The Divine Norwegian
An Emerald ex-Podium dancer
El-Bow

1 transfer in reserve and luckily I'm in work at 6am so will be right on top of any last minute withdrawals.

My Biggest concern......DeMare!!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
7th April 2013 - 0:49

like this
Like (0)

JAndrewHill wrote:
I reckon this Hugh Lupus guy has got some inside track on my picks, and is matching me pedal by pedal. Its as if he can read my mind.... Big Grin

Call a Doctor? Wink

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
7th April 2013 - 0:50

like this
Like (0)

Once again Alan Tullett and I have differences for our teams in our Forum's Scorum's podium battle.

Cancellara-same
Boom-same
Turgot-same
Flecha-same
Degenkolb-AT has Paolini
Chavanel-AT has Roelandts
Stannard-AT has Offredo
Hushovd-AT has Phinney
Langeveld-AT has Ladagnous

We'll probably both get destoyed by Wig_Billy who'll have something mad like a 1-2-3 of Thomas,Kristoff,Terpstra!!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
7th April 2013 - 1:11

like this
Like (0)

ray silvester wrote:
Once again Alan Tullett and I have differences for our teams in our Forum's Scorum's podium battle.

Cancellara-same
Boom-same
Turgot-same
Flecha-same
Degenkolb-AT has Paolini
Chavanel-AT has Roelandts
Stannard-AT has Offredo
Hushovd-AT has Phinney
Langeveld-AT has Ladagnous

We'll probably both get destoyed by Wig_Billy who'll have something mad like a 1-2-3 of Thomas,Kristoff,Terpstra!!!


I'm just a few points behing you both, and I have Kristoff and Terpstra, so fingers crossed!

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
7th April 2013 - 8:10

like this
Like (0)

Alan is right though, my best score in a grand tour is about 2300 points so with potentially 7000-7500 points on offer from three races a lot can change.

Take that and then amplify it for purist teams because if you make a bad pick it hurts you for three weeks, make some good picks and you could gain 500+ points on you rivals easily. Its not out of the question that someone could make up that ground to Billy by the end of the Giro.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
7th April 2013 - 8:31

like this
Like (0)

i have 7 the same as Alan, where he has Phinney and Ladagnous I have Chavanel and Vansummeren

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3785 posts]
7th April 2013 - 10:21

like this
Like (0)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
i have 7 the same as Alan, where he has Phinney and Ladagnous I have Chavanel and Vansummeren

I was just writing a post saying the same when I saw your remark on the side. Not convinced by Chavanal, did have Terpstra until I changed him to Flecha at the last moment.

posted by Alan Tullett [1434 posts]
7th April 2013 - 11:17

like this
Like (0)

Alan Tullett wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
i have 7 the same as Alan, where he has Phinney and Ladagnous I have Chavanel and Vansummeren

I was just writing a post saying the same when I saw your remark on the side. Not convinced by Chavanal, did have Terpstra until I changed him to Flecha at the last moment.

I had Terpstra too but wasn't convinced by last weeks performance. I think Chavanel was one of them as I equally wasn't convinced by Phinney, as im not sure he will top 10, whereas with Chavanel I think he will either be top 5 or be nowhere.

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3785 posts]
7th April 2013 - 13:16

like this
Like (0)

Angry

My Hushovd in/Terpstra out transfer was a bad one!!

With the overwhelming favourite winning Paris-Roubaix it's no surprise to see makiavelli still leading in BOTH the standard and purist classification of the Forum's Scorum's Spring Classics.

chrisdstripes has knocked me(ray silvester) off the podium in the Forum's Scorum's Overall Sad with silas chime re-entering the top 10 at the expense of Jonas Lorenzen.
Whilst it's all very weel talking about the season being young and Wig_Billy being catchable,the reality is that he extended both leads to 540 standard and 449 purist......maybe we can all mug him in the Ardennes!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
8th April 2013 - 10:08

like this
Like (0)

I'm hopeful about the Ardennes this year, because last year i was slumming it on a beach in Sharm el Sheikh Big Grin so couldn't do research, just picked and hoped from internet bar.

Amstel Gold Race 12
Fleche Wallonne 117
Liege - Bastogne - Liege 31

So fingers crossed for this time round....still gonna be tough though Thinking

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1706 posts]
8th April 2013 - 13:06

like this
Like (0)

Amstel could be a tough one to predict - rider values will be higher than the cobbles, and we've not had many similar races so far this season to go on. Wouldn't be surprised if I don't better my 17 points of last year!

This not-bad-looking team would have scored zero last year (and would probably have been well over 200 credits)...

Rodriguez
Valverde
Nibali
Albasini
Van Avermaet
Chavanel
Boasson Hagen
Paolini
Ulissi

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
8th April 2013 - 15:22

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
Amstel could be a tough one to predict - rider values will be higher than the cobbles, and we've not had many similar races so far this season to go on. Wouldn't be surprised if I don't better my 17 points of last year!

This not-bad-looking team would have scored zero last year (and would probably have been well over 200 credits)...

Rodriguez
Valverde
Nibali
Albasini
Van Avermaet
Chavanel
Boasson Hagen
Paolini
Ulissi

The rider values won't change, they were done based on the classics as a whole.

Only 1 of those is in my team, and he is in both. Ive avoided Sagan

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3785 posts]
8th April 2013 - 15:51

like this
Like (0)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

The rider values won't change, they were done based on the classics as a whole.

Only 1 of those is in my team, and he is in both. Ive avoided Sagan


Sorry, yes I meant that there are more pricey riders in the Ardennes races, so you have to make a few more cheap picks than certainly Paris-Roubaix when you could basically have who you wanted.

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
8th April 2013 - 16:58

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

The rider values won't change, they were done based on the classics as a whole.

Only 1 of those is in my team, and he is in both. Ive avoided Sagan


Sorry, yes I meant that there are more pricey riders in the Ardennes races, so you have to make a few more cheap picks than certainly Paris-Roubaix when you could basically have who you wanted.

But actually having looked at the list, I'm wrong about that, provided you avoid J-Rod and Sagan. Will maybe apply more to Liege...

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
8th April 2013 - 17:00

like this
Like (0)

The Ardennes Classics were a bit of a watyery grave for me last season........17 Amstel,75 Fleche-Wallone,30 LBL so no great expectations for me on the muurs.

Hopefully I can claw some back in the Giro del Trentino and Tour of Romandie to hone some form before a shot at the pink!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
9th April 2013 - 10:37

like this
Like (0)

No good just marking Wig_Billy till the Cauberg today guys......lets attack!!

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
14th April 2013 - 7:55

like this
Like (0)