Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Google Glass - Team Sky

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but the Google Glass announcement yesterday (http://www.google.com/glass/start/what-it-does/) set my mind running.

The fact that one of the colourways is called Sky, and is pretty much the perfect match for Team Sky's blue, makes me think we may get some amazing footage from the Classics, Giro or TdF this year. Why else pick that colour?

Of course what would be more amazing is if Oakley and Google come together to develop a hybrid. Take my money now! The future is here, and I want part of it. Someone in the USA please sign up for the Explorer kit and build a Strava-style app for it. The demo video has turn by turn directions for cyclists in it (through NYC) - let's build on that!

I hope that my prediction is true and we see Wiggins, Froome or Boassen Hagen rocking them in 2013.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

Truly frightening. As for cycling, it would just be more unnecessary technology.

ubercurmudgeon | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bear in mind that Google makes its money from advertising. These gewgaws cost a lot of money now, and are presently ad-free while they are trying to prove the concept, but eventually they'll want to integrate them into their much more lucrative and ongoing advertising revenue streams. So, when these do come to down in price, it'll be because the wearer will have ceased to be the customer and have become the product - just as you are now when you search Google, watch YouTube or use GMail (or use any other free online service: Facebook, Bing, Road.cc, etc.) So be prepared for little popups springing up in the corner of your eye as you cycle along a beautiful mountain pass, saying things like "You have been looking at handlebars a lot today, did you know ChainReactionCycles.com is giving 10% off all handlebars?"

Personally, the human-bicycle combination is transformative enough for me, I don't want a computer with a connection to Google's server farms butting in as well.

As for Team Sky using it, maybe there is a tie up and Bradley will be flogging them for Google in their next promotional video, but not in actual races (unless they do what Garmin did at first and provide dummy units.)

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

So you'd pay $1500 plus tax for a pair?

Even if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't want in at this early stage, don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but no good if you want to wear anything over your eyes.

But they wont be into any racing this year, the UCI would have to approve them first.

It would be cool though and even better if the team car could send messages through them  1

Latest Comments