Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New tyre time, please help...

Hello

So as we're heading into Spring (no really), I need some new tyres for the year. Light, fast-rolling and durable.
For general riding. Usually ride 23mm, and happy with that.

Recommendations please  1

Not too fussed about budget, within reason  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

pughster49 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Normally always GP4000 rear but go cheaper for the front gatorskin etc, rear tyre has to be the best money can buy. Front sees no where near as much ware. Over time this saves a fair amount.

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good choice Karlos!  3

colinth | 11 years ago
0 likes

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Slick - lighter than GP4000, grippier in all conditions and suprisingly durable. I've been using them for 2 years and have had 1 puncture.

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

I went for the Michelin Pro 4s due to price.

Only done one ride with them (in the dry), but they seem to roll very quickly and cornering was an improvement (on the cheapo bonty tyres that came with my Madone).

We shall see re durability  39

Thanks all.

velo pixie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thought about Conti GP 4 Seasons?

Probably fast enough all year round for most average riders and very durable/puncture resistant. Easily capable of being an excellent all year round choice.

Have got them in 23c and 25c on bikes at the moment, wouldn't bother with 25c as it is physically not much larger than a 23c GP4 Season.

However for what its worth I've also got GP400S on a set of wheels as well  3

Tour Le Tour | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am sure it is a personal choice to some extent. I have tried the GP4000s, and never liked them. Felt less grippy and not particularly fast, to me. Also tried michelin pro-race (although I admit they were still at pr2 when I tried them, didn't even know the 4 was out) at the insistence of almost everyone in my club, who all love them. I hated them. They felt dead. So now I train on Vittoria Rubino Pros, and love them. Feel good, last forever. But of course for race day they get swapped out for Vittoria Open Corsa CX!

dunnoh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I ride on Vittoria Pave Evo. I think they are superb and have saved me from hitting a back of a van in the rain at speed and just caught me from tumbling on mud and leaves just the other day.

chrismday | 11 years ago
0 likes

Specialized Espoir Elite 23c here. Reasonable weight (260g). Despite regularly picking embedded flints and glass out of the tread, zero punctures since fitting them 12 months ago. Recommended to me by the local dealer's pro team who use them as their training tyres.

Slimie | 11 years ago
0 likes

+12* for Conty GP4000S's!

6 months of the wettest, flintyest(?) winter I can remember and only superficial cuts and just one puncture.
Little sign of wear, either.

* Or whatever number it is.

-Simon

cavasta | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Conty GP4000s.

matthewn5 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hate to be the odd one out, but it has to be Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite for me. Not the lightest, but no p***tures in 2,500 miles for me, including a lot of glass-strewn city streets. You can get 2 for £50 at Webster's Cycles online.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I may have to try these Continental GP4000s. I'm also tempted by the Vittoria Diamante Pro Radiale

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Continental GP4000s

The best clincher tyre you can actually buy.

In the world.

Amazing all round capabilities.

Would be surprised if you didn't get them by now :p

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, much appreciated  1

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Conti GP4000S £24 at bike-discount.de

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about Ultremo ZX in 28mm? £22.49 each at Planet X

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow, I have GP 4000s that I bought last summer and they are still going strong. I didn't realize they were such a popular choice so I have to mention them too. They do balance smoothness, speed, cost and puncture resistance very well.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 on what Seoige says about the Ultremo DD's, Done nearly 4000k on mine with no p*******s so far (searches frantically about for something made of wood to knock on!)They roll great and grip brilliantly in the wet and even though they cut up slightly it doesn't affect performance

I also get the threads off the sidewall, nice to know its not just me!

Seoige | 11 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Ultremo DD's, 2 punctures in one year. Roll well and extremely reliable. Got 5K out of them but they do shred threads from the sidewall like a frayed shirt. I just cut them off. It does not appear to affect the performance of the tyre. I am on the new evo corsa now with 320 tpi casing, very smooth and buttery. I have to check the tyre sometimes to see if I have a puncture. Using them with this new Panaracer kevlar belt liner which is not the hard plastic type but more like thin wall insulation(25g each) I hear the Vittorias are not as puncture resistant as they would have you believe so just to be safe.  3 MTW

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks chaps. I've just seen that the Michelin Pro 4s are 40% at Wiggle at the minute (£23.99). And the GP 4000s are £38...Hmmm...being a northerner I may take the tight wad's option  39

cidermart replied to _Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes
_Karlos_ wrote:

Thanks chaps. I've just seen that the Michelin Pro 4s are 40% at Wiggle at the minute (£23.99). And the GP 4000s are £38...Hmmm...being a northerner I may take the tight wad's option  39

I just looked on Wiggle and the GP 4000s are £27.92 (35% discount). Great tyres and all I use.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-road-tyre/

Seoige replied to cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes
Thanks chaps. I've just seen that the Michelin Pro 4s are 40% at Wiggle at the minute (£23.99).

CRC are throwing in some inner tubes as part of a deal around same price 40% off but their valve stem options are limited.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Has to be GP4000s by continental  16

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sure I'll get dissenters, but.. My favourite summer tyre is Michelin pro race 3. Light, v fast rolling, grippy but you'll have to compromise on durability.

You're never get a tyre that excels on all these fronts, though many will claim to.

Factor in that you can buy these v cheaply ( they've been superseded by pro race 4), at 18 quid from CRC at the moment you may as well buy an extra one for when the rear gets inevitable wear.

hotweathercyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Only every Run GP4000S!  16

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

A pair of Continental GP4000Ss will fit the bill nicely.

Latest Comments