Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

straight on hand signal

Am I the only cyclist using the 'straight ahead' hand signal (right arm raised, palm forward), or more importantly, do motorists recognise it? There aren't many traffic lights here in the New Forest but one crossroad in particular is dangerous if you're at the front of the queue with traffic wanting to turn right across you. So far a lightening start and bloodymindedness is getting me across first, aided possibly by the signal I learned in cycling proficiency lessons in the 50's. Wonder how the urban cyclists manage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

One summer's day on the Upper Clapton Road in Hackney, I saw a platoon of coppers in training, bedecked head to toe in fluorescent green on their police issue MTBs, all giving the straight on sign at their leader's signal.
It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the road.

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely a default no signal either left or right indicates you are going straight on?

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

A lot of motorists are clueless to much of the HC! I have found that the hand signal for stopping is appreciated by some motorists. The staight ahead is also useful when moving off from a junction as it prevents you being cut up. But as some have mentioned many are clueless to these signals.

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

I haven't heard of this either and I would be surprised if many motorist have too. If I was in this position then I would try and avoid confusion and just point where I want to go.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I should add that these signals allow you to indicate to the officer doing points which direction you wish to take.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I know it and use it. Not sure if motorists are taught hand signals in case their indicators fail. In fact most will be clueleess as to hand signals given by a police officer on points duty. Though on saying that I observed an officer not so long ago attempting points duty and making a total arse of it.

pepita1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I stick out my arm and point my finger in the direction I am intending to go (e.g. if I'm turning right, my right arm goes straight out to right side of my body). It usually works, although last Sunday some old git was trying to overtake me and turn the same direction as me. I had to throw my arm out in quick succession and glance back at the idiot to get him to acknowledge my intention.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

know of it (it was in the highway code when I learnt !!)
but I've never used it. I do occasionally point when
the driver opposite looks puzzled.

most drivers these days would probably see that as a
"stop" indication .....

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not heard of that before, but strangely have been tempted to point forwards in some way to indicate my intended direction at lights.

mancsi | 11 years ago
0 likes

As a driver when going straight over a junction I tend to lower my back windows and apply my hazards then feather the breaks so my break lights are in time with the hazards. This clearly indicates that I am not turning left nor right!

CraigS | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never heard of it either and wouldn't recognise it as a motorist!

Croydon Cyclists | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, not alone. I use it too, but I wonder how many motorists know what it means. As far as I can see, the "straight on" hand signal is no longer included in the Highway Code.

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never heard of it but your description makes it sound like a Nazi salute! Can't imagine motorists responding kindly to that...

Rob

Latest Comments