Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Tour de France 3.5 billion annual TV audience *not*

"A worldwide television audience of 3.5 billion people watch the Tour de France annually"

Copied from:

http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-france-the-facts

I've seen this claim repeated several times. It appears to come from ASO.

Does this seem bogus to anyone else? The population of the entire planet is 7 billion. I'd be surprised if half the planet had even heard of the Tour de France, let alone watch it. How on earth did they concoct this figure? Does half the planet even have access to a TV?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes I see what your saying.

Also what counts as someone viewing? For example if im flicking through the channels, leave ITV on for 10 minutes and the TDF comes on, does that count as someone watching?

ubercurmudgeon replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Also what counts as someone viewing? For example if im flicking through the channels, leave ITV on for 10 minutes and the TDF comes on, does that count as someone watching?

The worldwide figure is highly dubious, but this is how viewing figures are done in the UK for traditional broadcast TV, including ITV4 and Eurosport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQPIUCtBxA

cat1commuter replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Exactly. We don't know. We need to see their working out!

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK, an audience of 175 million for each stage sounds more plausible, but most of those will be the same people for each stage, so saying "3.5 billion people" is bogus.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

wont the 3.5 billion be over the course of the whole race? so that means that daily viewing figures would be less than a 20th of that total

Latest Comments