Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The sound of Flex ?

Hello,

I have recently bought a new pair of wheels. For your information i am 1.92 m and weight 95 kgs. Twice the last month I heard a "squak" every time i pedalled off the saddle in order to climd a small hill fast. So after 3, 4 "squacks" i get back in the saddle to avoid any bad incident.

Do you think that maybe i am too heavy for my wheels ? Is it the sound of flex ?

Thanx in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got RS80s - same rim and spokes as your wheels - and I get flex when out of the seat. I thought it was a bit of frame flex, because a mate's got the dura ace wheels and they don't flex for him. He's heavier than me too.

SpeshRider7287 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You will need to get the spokes tightened. Had exactly the same thing on some Zipp 404's a while back and when I re-tensioned them the squeaking had disappeared completely. Also helps to use some DT Swiss spoke freeze.. No need to worry about being too heavy for them as they'll take a lot more than 90kg without any issues. Hope this helps.

kupepe replied to SpeshRider7287 | 11 years ago
0 likes
SpeshRider7287 wrote:

You will need to get the spokes tightened. Had exactly the same thing on some Zipp 404's a while back and when I re-tensioned them the squeaking had disappeared completely. Also helps to use some DT Swiss spoke freeze.. No need to worry about being too heavy for them as they'll take a lot more than 90kg without any issues. Hope this helps.

Thanx for the info ... sounds that you know what u talking about .... and the answers serves my psychology

Will go to my LBS asap ...

SpeshRider7287 replied to kupepe | 11 years ago
0 likes

No worries. As a mechanic I come across this problem quite frequently..
It's usually restricted to new, carbon rimmed wheels but can happen on older wheels too as the spokes stretch/settle into place. Spoke freeze works really well but I'd make sure the shop uses a tension meter to get them spot on, then give them a good caning afterwards. If flex continues to be an issue, just go 1/4 turn tighter on each nipple and repeat the process until flex goes.
Optimum tension can be anywhere between 100khf and up to 200khf (although for liability reasons, manufacturers won't tell you this). If start at roughly 110khf and work from there in small increments until you're happy with the feel. Let me know how you get on pal..

George

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm the wheels I had problems with were Shimano RS80s which are, as far as I'm aware, very similar wheels...  2

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have had a similar problem before... I'm about your height and around 80kg. When I'm out of the saddle one of my sets of wheels flexes so that it was rubbing on the brake blocks. In the wet you can hear it but it happens all the time I think, and it's resulted in some very fast rim wear. What wheels are they?

The other thing that might be worth doing is checking the wheel bearings, make sure there's no play that might be causing the wheel to wobble?

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

At 95Kg it's unlikley you are too heavy unless they are really exotic - check the specs with the manufacturer to see what they say. It could be a variety of other things making a noise - can you try the wheels in another bike? Have you checked the quick release is really tight?

May be worth a trip to the local bike shop

kupepe replied to jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes
jimmo62 wrote:

At 95Kg it's unlikley you are too heavy unless they are really exotic - check the specs with the manufacturer to see what they say. It could be a variety of other things making a noise - can you try the wheels in another bike? Have you checked the quick release is really tight?

May be worth a trip to the local bike shop

They are Shimanoes DA C24

Latest Comments