Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Frame sizing

Hi all, wondering if anyone here could give me a hand? About to purchase a Canyon ultimate CF SLX and having a dilemma over sizing. Given my height I think I am roughly in between the small and the medium frame. I had a bike fitting done a few months ago and was given some optimum size charts - struggling to marry this data up with Canyon's geometry charts.

I was wondering if anyone with some experience in these matters could take a look at my charts and help advise me on the correct frame size to order?

The canyon sizing can be found at https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3126 in case my screenshot is too small!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

I_like_bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

For anyone still looking for Canyon frame sizing - there is an open day in Kingston on Monday 6th May.
You have to book in advance and it appears they have a limited number of frames but beats going to Germany...

Good luck. Love these bikes just don't have the money...yet!

Joel.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/service/news_event.html?nt=3981

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am 6ft2 (1.88m) and ride an XL in a Canyon Ultimate AL. It feels very comfy. I could have gone for the 58 but I have long legs so the 60 is probably better for me. Canyon size calculator recommended the 60 after several measurings. All concluded the 60.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's good news. What size frame did you end up with? Do you have spacers as well? I'm just interested to know whether the bike fitting dimensions turned out correct.

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. In the end I decided not to get the Canyon for a couple of reasons. In February the wait time for one was end of May/beginning of June. I wasn't prepared to wait that long. Additionally I wasn't really comfortable buying a bike without help and advice of a good local bike shop.

I ended up buying a Cervelo R5 instead. Obviously this worked out a bit more expensive to get a similar spec, but I was happier spending the cash at my usual LBS. I also got to try the various frame sizes before buying, something I think is a real issue with Canyon's direct sales. Moreover, any time I need anything fixed/adjusted, its a 10 minute journey and a conversation with someone I know well, as opposed to calling Canyon.

Obviously other's mileage will vary, but for me I'm glad I made the choice I did. The Canyons look fantastic and are clearly incredible value for money, but not for me.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Did you get this sorted? I've had a bike fitting recently, and fit my current bike very well now. However, for reference when I look to my next purchase, I do wish he's stated standard stack and reach figures.

I think I might just create a scale drawing in Visio and work out the stack/reach from there.

From your drawings, the total effective stack height appears to be about 653mm c-to-c. That sounds a bit *too* high to me, even without knowing you, but I would suggest starting with the Specialized Roubaix and seeing what your position is like on that.

jengy | 11 years ago
0 likes

2 things to look at in my opinion, if the fitting is correct..

Top tube plus stem length is about right on the medium, might be 4 or 6 mm over which can be adjusted with saddle position or a 90mm stem instead of the supplied 100 one.

The big difference is the stack height, the height of bars over the bb, 539+114. To get a similar height to your fitting on the canyon it looks like you're going to need about 75mm of spacers and might even need to turn the stem over. So not, perhaps, the frame to do the same thing as the fitting frame - more a low racer than cruiser.

I prefer steel to plastic though, so I think I would get the one in your drawing made !

eoindunne replied to jengy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

I'm looking at a Canyon too and have the same dilemma over my height and S/M, could I check if you went ahead and got one what size you went for? What height/inseam do you have?

Thanks

Latest Comments