Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bargain winter gloves that repell water too please??

Ok all you budding bargain shoppers out there, heres a quandry for you.

I done our local (Worthing,W Sussex), winter warmer y`day (09/2) it was v wet, cold & generally horrible  2 . Im wearing sealskinz mtb winter gloves, didnt realise they were`nt that waterproof, also it was impossible to get anything out of my jersey pockets, like food!

So i would like a ;pair of;
waterproof
warm and not too bulky, also a that price means i dont have to sell a kidney to afford them.  1

Thanks

Malc

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

At least im not the only one wearing marigolds,

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simples,

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dear thrift corner,

Are Marigolds and cheap wool mits (a few quid) all that different in terms of waterproof and breathable properties from the Castelli neoprene ones (£40). May I suggest you buy and potato and some ink and print your own scorpion on the back of your marigolds. Then you'd be right 'on trend' with your neon yellow and posh label. Why haven't I thought of this before?

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

There is only one truly waterproof glove and they are not expensive at all.
They are called marigolds (nothing beats them jst get size to fit over cycling glove and no more wet hands eva  4

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll chuck in my two penneth here.....  4

After years of commuting in all weathers and when the weather gets really wet I have yet to find a pair of 'cycling' gloves that keep out the wet, and therefor cold - except my 99 pence solution,,,, though not for the 'Assos brigade'.
I don a thin pair of wooly mits and then on with the yellow marigolds, yep washing up gloves. They are long and go way up inside the sleeves of my night vision jacket (similar colour too) and not an ounce of water gets through those puppies... Dry, really grippy, warm, keeps out the wind and the rain - you can't get any better. For really wet and cold only as they can get a little 'sweaty' if the temperature rises.
A pair lasts a good few months as they start to crack around the fingers, but that's cheap, two pairs lasts me all winter - £1.98 pa.

As I initially stated, not for the fashion guru's but my hands are toasty and dry, can change gears, brake and hang on when the roads get a tad icey.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

mpt68 replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

i do something like that. i have a couple of pairs of disposable rubber gloves in me saddle bag in case of breakdowns. if its too cold i put a pair on under my gloves and they really do make a difference in the cold plus in the rain it keeps the hands warm and dry

arrieredupeleton replied to mpt68 | 11 years ago
0 likes
mpt68 wrote:

i do something like that. i have a couple of pairs of disposable rubber gloves in me saddle bag in case of breakdowns. if its too cold i put a pair on under my gloves and they really do make a difference in the cold plus in the rain it keeps the hands warm and dry

Another top tip: Those thin plastic gloves from the garage forecourt work well in your back pocket/bag for messy repairs or under your normal gloves if it starts to rain heavily and gloves are sodden. Hands get sweaty but stay warm.

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got a pair of SealSkinz waterproof gloves for Xmas of my parents. Said they bought them from Halfords if that is any help errr I hear you all say lol. Basically bought them there in case my brother wanted to return them and he lives 400+ miles away.

I think they are really warm and as far as I can tell they seem to be waterproof.

Colin Peyresourde | 11 years ago
0 likes

One problem is that if your gloves are outside of your waterproof top the water will just run down into your gloves. It doesn't matter how waterproof the outside is if it's circumventing the proofing.

I have seal skins and they are pretty good, though on a truly sodden day they will will be wet - all these things are about how long and how hard the weather conditions are as water starts to seep in ways that are unexpected (water down neck into jersey, water seeping into shoes through air vents).

Ride hard and you do two things, get out of the rain quicker than a slow person, and burn off wetness where when your weather proofing can no longer combat the elements.

I'm being a bit facetious, but I actually think you get what you pay for. If you are going to be hitting bad weather more often then pay for stuff that keeps you comfortable. You don't have to buy Assos's rubber socks, but they may help. Cheap gear will often let you down because it's designed as a inferior substitute.

Gero | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have the Endura Deluge gloves.
They're sold as waterproof but they're not.
Best avoided.

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys, i will now troll through the various sites with a tape measure in one hand, and my credit card in the other!!

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just bought a pair of the deluge gloves. For £15 they have to be worth a try.

phax71 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had a nightmare trying to find a Winter Glove in budget that fitted me correctly.

I've just brought some Winter Gloves from the guys at Galibier .... They have a website and sell via Ebay ..

Very helpful blokes and I'm more than happy with my gloves:

http://galibier.corecommerce.com/Barrier-Grip-winter-glove.html

but they also do these:

http://galibier.corecommerce.com/Mistral-Winter-Glove.html

I've not worn mine in rain yet but they're fantastic in the cold .... you should snage a pair for about £15 ish on the Bay ...

Email them though, they'll advise which is better suited (I'm in no way linked) just a VERY HAPPY customer.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sealskins are waterproof.

No question.

Try UltraGrip

notfastenough replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

No question.

Try UltraGrip

Yeah, I fell for that one too. The weather last weekend clearly had other ideas.  2

robdaykin (not verified) replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

No question.

Try UltraGrip

Sealskinz Ultragrip are wool composite mix outers with a waterproof membrane and a finer knitted inner layer. So waterproof at the skin, but the outer absorbs water and on a day ride can become heavy and clumsier. The other issue is that if they are cold, i.e. you've had them off to fix a puncture, then the membrane slows air circulation and warming and they can be hard to get warm again whilst riding even dry.

That said I'm soon buying my third pair, and haven't found anything more comfy for winter use. on and off the bike.

PS they're only waterproof if the membrane is intact. Turn them inside out and look for signs of wear at the bottom of the fingers, both of mine have gone there first.

02curtisb | 11 years ago
0 likes

I Bought some Planet X Deluge Gloves last week. Not sure how they compare on the bulkey front, i could get into a zipped pocket and unwrap and flapjack on the go, but at £14 im very happy and my hands were dry through some rubbish rain last week!

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

CRC did have some great prices on Campy gloves - not sure how many are left now though.

Latest Comments