Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter bike

Good morning everyone. Looking outside the window this morning and the weather over the past year has meant that I'm coming round to the idea of a winter bike with full mudguards fitted. It's likely to get year round use, I'm thinking of either the kinesis TK3 or genesis equilibrium, will prob pick up a frameset and then add the bits in time for winter

So recommendations, experiences and opinions please people

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

lazyusername | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the comments definitely given some ideas to mull over. I think a winter bike is going to involve a reshuffle in the stable hmmmm...

Thanks again

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

If we're talking Kinesis, I'd wholeheartedly recommend their gran fondo (ti if you can afford it but alu version is also good). Unless you're a serious racer it really won't hold you back and you'd then avoid the need for another bike for summer - just swap to lighter tyres and take mudguards off.

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

..and the crosslight comes in a nice green I recall.

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis crosslight? very similar geometry to the T2 / TK3 but its a cx bike so a bit more versatile with the clearance. I use mine year round for commuting, winter, rain, crap roads and occasional racing. Used to have a T2 as well but there was nothing the crosslight couldnt do almost as well with some road tyres on.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use a Condor Fratello for year round commuting and winter weekend riding. It is a fantastic bike and will take a full set of guards. My mate has a Canyon Roadlite as his winter bike. It needs raceblades or similar rather than full guards but it's great value for a winter hack.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

TK3 ... got one and it's a lovely ride.

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Kinesis TK3 in my opinion. I've got a T2 (same geometry, different alloy and not with the new headtube). Light, responsive, comfortable and has mudguard and proper rack mounts. Geometry same as a 'summer bike' rather than a crosser which will probably have a higher bottom bracket and hence centre of gravity.

The Equilibrium is well loved on here but bit heavier and more springy. Depends what sort of riding you do but you cant go wrong with either I think.

netclectic | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not a lot wrong with the equilibrium. As already mentioned above there are no proper rack mounts but other than that it's a good solid go anywhere do anything kind of a bike. Comfortable, fast and looks pretty.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm riding a revolution track fixed gear as my winter bike only 250 new and very little to go wrong.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i just built the Ribble 525 frame up onto my winter groupset.

its a beauty in every sense. cheap/nice to ride/heavy(winter endurance)/looks nice.

CaptainVolvo | 11 years ago
0 likes

I took delivery of a Genesis Equilibrium 10 last week for commuting & winter use. First impressions are very favourable. Comfortable yet still reasonably responsive and stiff. I took some ribbing from friends for getting a steel framed bike but I like it. I like to retro look coupled with modern technology. More in keeping with my age and dignity than a fancy carbon thoroughbred, especially for winter use.

I considered a Cross bike but they were all heavier and over engineered for what I wanted. My commute is 23m each way so a reasonably quick bike was called for.

Only drawback so far is no top mounts for a rack. Solved with P-clips I guess but other than that I'm impressed.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd look at cross bikes too. Why worry about squeezing in tyres between guards when you can have 'proper' clearance. Could even then get something with disc brakes which are most beneficial when its wet eg genesis cdf

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ribble/Quest Audax bike?

They've both become staple frames in Winter builds for racing clubmen over the last few years.

Latest Comments