Help with new frame or upgrade components

by Ultimateweevil   February 10, 2013  

Hey guys,

I'm after some advice/help re the above. I currently have a ribble new sportive racing which has full campag veloce groupset and khamsin wheelset. I typically ride anything from 75-150 miles a week (in the nicer weather), I mtb in the winter. This year I'm looking to get a couple of sportives in but also start doing TT's so I'm looking for help to decide what I should do.

Do I go with a new frame, say a cervelo s2, scott foil or cannondale super six evo and swap my parts over then upgrade say the wheelset at a later date or would I be better off spending the cash on upgrading the components on my current bike?

Cheers

4 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

You may find you get a better deal on a complete bike than just swapping over your hardware. It also depends on what you want to spend . . . I have a Cannondale Super Six Evo and swapped out the SRAM Red for Campy SR for about 400 Euro's extra when I bought it. In other words decide what you want to do and maybe the dealer can put together a package for you. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get. Smile

mike_ibcyclist's picture

posted by mike_ibcyclist [36 posts]
10th February 2013 - 1:15

like this
Like (1)

you don't mention why you want to upgrade. Do you have to spend $30m in order to qualify for a further $300m?

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
10th February 2013 - 16:08

like this
Like (1)

im a campag man, run veloce and centaur on my bikes. veloce is brilliant and its on its second hard / neglected winter. its amazing

wheels is always a good shout as rolling weight dissapearing makes all the difference

posted by russyparkin [575 posts]
10th February 2013 - 19:42

like this
Like (1)

I'd rather not go down the complete new bike route as my budget is about £1,500 - £1,700 which is why I was thinking of frame then swapping everything over and then upgrading as I go along, plus I like the idea of building up the frame myself as I've done it with a couple of mtbs in the past.

In terms of why upgrade? Well I want something that's a bit more race orientated if I'm getting in to TT's but I still want to be able to cover the miles, although on those frames I know I'm sacrificing a bit of the comfort I get on longer distances on the ribble. I love the ribble but it just doesn't feel as race ready as a few of the focus, treks etc. in my LBS I've swung a leg over.

posted by Ultimateweevil [36 posts]
10th February 2013 - 19:48

like this
Like (2)