Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hydrophobic sprays; the future or available now?

Okay, so I have seem plenty of demo videos of ultra-hydrophobic coatings on the internet. They show mobiles that have been treated with special coating to reject all water and still work underwater. New brands like Never-Wet and Ever-Dry seem to be investigating the technology and it does seem viable, but is it commercially available yet?

I can find Nik Wax type sprays for fabrics and car waxing type sprays but not these new ultra-hydrophobic coatings.

The one problem with these coatings might be their resistance to oil, but they should be worth a try. I would love to have a clean frame every day that would repel water mud and salt all winter, especially off rear brake.

Anyone got any idea where or when these sprays could be coming; worth pursuing again in 2014?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

The Rumpo Kid | 11 years ago
0 likes

(Pedantry alert). "Phobic" means "having a fear of". These sprays would have an irrational fear of water at best, and rabies at worst.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

When you've got that self cleaning bike perfected let me know. I want one too.

bazzargh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ever-dry is commercially available now (in the US), but I'm not sure you want it yet. The stuff dries to a translucent white coating, not transparent, so unless you have a white logo-less bike it's going to make it look a bit iffy.

Leviathan replied to bazzargh | 11 years ago
0 likes
bazzargh wrote:

Ever-dry is commercially available now (in the US), but I'm not sure you want it yet. The stuff dries to a translucent white coating, not transparent, so unless you have a white logo-less bike it's going to make it look a bit iffy.

Hmm, could call it 'the bone', I am out for a ride on the bone. Sounds a bit iffy, yep.

Really looking for a transparent coating.

Latest Comments