Hydrophobic sprays; the future or available now?

by bikeboy76   February 9, 2013  

Okay, so I have seem plenty of demo videos of ultra-hydrophobic coatings on the internet. They show mobiles that have been treated with special coating to reject all water and still work underwater. New brands like Never-Wet and Ever-Dry seem to be investigating the technology and it does seem viable, but is it commercially available yet?

I can find Nik Wax type sprays for fabrics and car waxing type sprays but not these new ultra-hydrophobic coatings.

The one problem with these coatings might be their resistance to oil, but they should be worth a try. I would love to have a clean frame every day that would repel water mud and salt all winter, especially off rear brake.

Anyone got any idea where or when these sprays could be coming; worth pursuing again in 2014?

4 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Ever-dry is commercially available now (in the US), but I'm not sure you want it yet. The stuff dries to a translucent white coating, not transparent, so unless you have a white logo-less bike it's going to make it look a bit iffy.

posted by bazzargh [144 posts]
9th February 2013 - 18:36

like this
Like (1)

When you've got that self cleaning bike perfected let me know. I want one too.

Ah! Condor

posted by Bedfordshire Clanger [309 posts]
9th February 2013 - 20:33

like this
Like (1)

(Pedantry alert). "Phobic" means "having a fear of". These sprays would have an irrational fear of water at best, and rabies at worst.

posted by The Rumpo Kid [590 posts]
10th February 2013 - 15:25

like this
Like (2)

bazzargh wrote:
Ever-dry is commercially available now (in the US), but I'm not sure you want it yet. The stuff dries to a translucent white coating, not transparent, so unless you have a white logo-less bike it's going to make it look a bit iffy.

Hmm, could call it 'the bone', I am out for a ride on the bone. Sounds a bit iffy, yep.

Really looking for a transparent coating.

Between the S and the LOW

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1196 posts]
10th February 2013 - 16:31

like this
Like (2)