Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

RideLondon100 Ballot - Anyone Heard Yet?

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Prudential_RideLondon___Events/Pru...

" Please note: Postal notifications of the outcome of your Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 ballot application will start to arrive from the 7th of February and certainly no later than the 15th of February."

Nothing in the post from them for me today.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

oceandweller | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well, 2nd attempt & didn't get a place this year either. 'S Life I suppose. Last year I donated the entry fee, this year I didn't, so that doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm not keen to go the charity route, like others posting here it seems too much like asking friends & family to subsidise my hobby. So I'll try again next year, but I'm 65 now & though I've never been fitter than I am now - retired y'see, plenty of time to train, not cycle to work in pre-dawn half light, get home after dark too knackered to even turn on the TV, sleep, do it all again next day, & catch up on chores over the weekend - I do feel time's no longer on my side. Ho hum, not the end of the world however. Off to South Africa in 3 weeks for the Cape Argus. That's on closed roads as well, & the weather's likely to be better than London in August.  1

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not in but I do not remember entering !

foot_loose | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in. First attempt. Not ridden more than 75 miles before so some training needed. Hotel booked for night before. Commiserations to those who have been unsuccessful this time round.

MrLeffe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in ! And out! I got a mag say yes and one saying no......am I in or out? Has any one else had this happen?

wellcoordinated replied to MrLeffe | 9 years ago
0 likes
MrLeffe wrote:

I'm in ! And out! I got a mag say yes and one saying no......am I in or out? Has any one else had this happen?

That's not the RideLondon100 mate! You've been entered in the Hokey Cokey. 'in, out, in, out, you shake it all about ...'

jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got in, but now do not want to do it as I am doing the London Edinburgh London the week before. Can I give my place to someone else?

Leviathan replied to jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes
jayme wrote:

I got in, but now do not want to do it as I am doing the London Edinburgh London the week before. Can I give my place to someone else?

Simple question: have you paid? If not your slot will go back into a second draw (open to those who 'donated their fee' but lost in the ballot.)
If you have paid you have two options: you can just not turn up, in which case you can guarantee a slot for next year by claiming you were ill/injured, but you will probably have to pay again, it just ensures your slot.
Or you could wait and pass your slot onto a friend, however I don't know if they would need ID to pick up your race number as they are not sent out before the race. The registration in on the Fri/Sat before the event.

velo pixie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got in and at the time of entry had completed exactly one prior Sportive. I elected to donate my entry fee for charity.

How did the ballot work? heaven only knows, I'd guess that a given % of places were allocated to those riders who declared that they had completed one of the listed events, a further % to those riders declaring other events and a reasonable predicted finishing time, a further % of those donating their entry fee to charity etc etc

Can't imagine that the ballot would have been a simple first 20,000 selected regardless of experience etc. I thought the organisers were aiming to achieve a spread of all abilities and experience across the field? From what I've read on various web sites and forums, I'd guess they have achieved their target cross section.

I can't be bothered to check, but if the organising body is a publicly funded body then a freedom of information request asking for the details of the ballot process that was used (not planned to be used) should result in the relevant information being released to the person making the freedom of interest request.

Can't imagine its going to be like riding a well executed major sportive, but it hopefully it will be a day to remember.

jollygoodvelo | 11 years ago
0 likes

"I came top 20 in X, Y, Z..."

It's not a race. It's an opportunity to ride the route of the pro race that's later in the day, though clearly most of us will be trying to do it in a minimal time for our own satisfaction...

And 100 miles naturally makes it a challenge to a lot of people - they're doing the Freecycle event for families and children if that's what you want, and it's free.

I'm in.  1

newboots | 11 years ago
0 likes

out of a group of 8 we have 4 places, which seems just above average, mixed ability and mixed donations ticked.
It was clear from the start the predicted numbers and chances was no better than 50 - 50. its a charity event what do you expect, i don't think it will break up before 50 miles in really and get up to speed.

BearstedCC | 11 years ago
0 likes

Praise The Lord I am in.  1

andyspaceman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I'm a club member and have done plenty of events, but it didn't seem to count for me.

Anyhow, I've managed to get a charity place - doesn't hurt to give back and raise a bit of money for a good cause every now and again.

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well the gf got in and I didn't. Our responses were identical on the form, neither of us in clubs but we're regular cyclists and have a little sportive experience. this suggests placed allocated quite arbitrarily although I think the questions about fitness and experience etc might be just to ensure entrants are likely to manage the route

Oh and neither of us donated up front..

I'm a bit gutted but v pleased for her, she says she doesn't want to do it without me but realises its a great opportunity. I'll be relegated to logistics and transport on the day!

Timsen | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not in & having looked at the magazine it looks like a charity ride to me masquerading as something serious. If you've ever ridden the London to Brighton ( I have twice ) you'll know that you're better off out of it !

Dress as a Children's Cartoon Character and you'll have a great time.... take it seriously & I suspect you may be frustrated by the hanging around at the start, people walking up every hill etc....

Leviathan replied to Timsen | 11 years ago
0 likes

'looks like a charity ride to me masquerading as something serious.'

Yes, but I can't be the only one who wants to do it to ride the Olympic course?! (minus 8 loops of box hill, phew)

'take it seriously & I suspect you may be frustrated by the hanging around at the start'

Probably but I hope I will be starting near the front as it is staggered by estimated time.

'people walking up every hill etc...'

No, I will be well gone within a couple of kilometers.

pashda | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was one of the lucky few. Amazed as previous attempts to get in the marathon ballot all failed. For the cynics I didnt tick the box. I agree with most of the comments if they want keen cyclists to take part then let the first 20,000 in. Job done. No hanging around for months to wait for a magazine. sorry for all those who missed out I know I would have been gutted.

kevarino | 11 years ago
0 likes

Magazine arrived.......... I'm out  20

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

Two magazines
One Comiserations - Mine
Second Cogratulations - Girlfriends

She says she doesn't want to do it without me - I bet she does!

hairybiker | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bashthebox - bet you didn't tick the donate box did you? Perhaps you'd like to be charitable and donate your entry to me? There's always one smug t**t  19

bashthebox replied to hairybiker | 11 years ago
0 likes
hairybiker wrote:

Bashthebox - bet you didn't tick the donate box did you? Perhaps you'd like to be charitable and donate your entry to me? There's always one smug t**t  19

That's a little harsh.

Yes, I did tick the box. I'm in - factors that may have swung it my way were being a member of Dulwich Paragon, and having done a couple of Etapes Caledonia.

The event had fifty thousand people going for twenty thousand places - obviously more than half the entrants won't get in.
A mate of mine who's a member of the same club and has done the same sportives as I have is also in, but another friend who isn't in a club and hadn't done any of the noted sportives didn't make it. This suggests that the entry favours riders with proven club and group riding experience.

Totally understandable that people are upset about not getting in, but you've got to appreciate that the organisers appear to have favoured riders who are proven to do well in this sort of event... and if you've met this criteria and still haven't made it in, just understand that 5 into 2 doesn't go.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in, which I'm happy about.

The people complaining about their money being donated to charity - er, you do understand the concept of charity, right? It wasn't compulsory to tick that box. Just shrug in mild annoyance and be grateful your money's gone to good causes rather than being wasted.
I shall ride like the wind for all those of you who haven't made the draw.

0 likes

Got my conciliatory magazine and jersey this evening. Great. Souvenirs of something I'm not going to ride.

So, is there anyone that has got a place that paid in advance and ticked the "donate my entry fee if I don't get a place" box?

If yes, had you ridden one of the Sportives on their list that auto-qualify?

0 likes

Looks like some questions need to be asked, just spoke to a friend of ours who donated her entry to charity, she didn't get in either. Be interesting to find out what proportion of the places on offer have gone to charity - are these deducted from the 20k anyway? Have we all been bidding on 15k places?

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am sure it will be a splendid event, but I do think it was rather cynical way the organisers encouraged people to donate their entry fee when they know there is not the capacity. They allowed the event to be oversubscribed by 30,000, people who would be disappointed (how much money is coming from them?) I am sure they they will declare it a massive success for charity, which might hopefully make it an annual event and give many others a chance to ride in the future.

However, my understanding of the London Marathon is it is an all charity event, so if you can't raise the funds you will have to stump the rest up yourself.

Johnny Bravo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just got home from work to find a "Provisional acceptance" package on the door mat ..... Must pay by 7th March.
I'm in, Happy days.

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

To be honest as it is only 12 miles up the road to the starting place i might just GPX the route and ride it anyway  4

As for the broom wagon i think they will need a snow plough strapped to the front  3

0 likes

Not had anything by post yet either, but the payment website says 'cancelled'. Although I paid back when I registered. And like Hairybiker clicked the check-box to agree for my entry fee to be donated to charity if I didn't get in. I felt pretty magnanimous at the time, but the inner cycnic is now thinking that if nobody who paid up-front and checked that box was given a place, they'd make more money overall by giving those spaces to people who hadn't paid yet.

Now that would be a scandal! Not that I'm suggesting they've done that. But just saying...

Dog72 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in.
Happy about riding closed roads, slightly nervous about the 20k of "experienced cyclists" all giving it full hammer.
Bringing the plasters & Codeine.

jstreetley | 11 years ago
0 likes

Haven't got a magazine yet, but from the website, looks like I am out.

At the end of the day, it was always a ballot though, so I can't say I agree with other comments about whether entering early should give precedence.

I agree the charity route feels a little too much like trying to get your friends/family to subsidise doing a cool event, so for that reason I won't be taking a charity place.

I guess you just have to think of it like the London Marathon, where it regularly takes multiple attempts to enter before you get a place.

0 likes

Both my wife and I entered and we even donated our entry fees to gain an additional chance. Both of us got the magazines this morning - what's the chances of that? Thieving bas****s  2
Mind you, we've both entered for the London Marathon on at least 4 occasions and not got in either - is someone trying to tell us something  39

Pages

Latest Comments