Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ever thought of a Ti bike?????

Ever Thought of a Titanium Bike?  39
What a question, aye?

In the ‘garage of many bits’ I had a bike (in fact several) for every type of riding I enjoy - commuters, sportives, fast roads, hill climbers, long riders, tourers and weekenders. These bikes were Colnago’s, Specialized Tarmac’s (S-Works), SL3 Roubaix, Allez’s, Boardman Pro Hybrids and a Peugeot.

Sitting there one day (recently) I thought ‘what about if I could get one bike that could do ALL the cycling I love’, does that physically exist??.
It would have to be light, comfortable, fast, climb well, able to take full (proper) mudguards, rear rack for work (200 miles a week – all weathers), be well kitted out and just as important riding through Bristol,,,, as inconspicuous as possible – just look like ‘another bike’ and blend into the background - not ‘here I am steal me’ bling.

I searched for some time, read reviews, did a hell of a lot of research and now completed my first Titanium bike,,,, and it meets everything I wanted – a Sabbath September Ti.
Yesterday I did the third run since completion, great weather, bit windy, sunshine and a little cold. I did a damn good ride and not an ache or blister – she’s gorgeous.
I have NEVER owned a bike that rides so nice, really does. For years I have thought about Ti but never dived in and bought one, until recently, and the frame/forkset are second hand (just in case) with some kit I kept back from the selling extravaganza.

I really wished I had done this years ago instead of spending a fortune on bikes - from the standard ones to really high enders. I have now sold every bike in the stable, can’t believe how much was standing in the garage (which is now a very empty place) both in aluminium and carbon (and ££££) - except for the Peugeot (sentimental and won several races years ago) and my September, that’s it.

Below is a photo of the bike, may not suit everyone or the 'must have the big names to impress' gurus, but it’s a hard one to beat – and over the years I have ridden some bikes.
She has Ksyrium elites, conti 4 seasons, DA 7900 mechs, Ultegra brakes, CK headset, full mudguards, Keo carbons, pump, bottle cages etc etc and still nudges the scales a good tad under 19 lbs (without the extras, just on 16 lbs) which is excellent.

If anyone is considering a look at Ti – don’t hesitate, I would have saved thousands over the years and I still never had a bike as comfortable and as all encompassing as this puppy. Go for one, you won’t regret it for sure!
Regards,
Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Tour Le Tour | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice looking bike! I've got a big trip coming up, and while I would kind of like to take my mountain bike (this trip is the third of a set, and it would surely make it the only MTB in the world to have completed that particular set) I am also thinking that a durable road tourer might be a better idea overall. If I do go down that path, titanium is the material at the top of the list, especially after hearing so many good reports on it!

stealfwayne | 11 years ago
0 likes

I too have a Sabbath September which is Wonderfully smooth and yet fast enough to keep up with the Shorter Rochford boys around my way (well at least for a couple of miles anyway unitl my lungs give out anyway)
No creaking so far.
I really am happy that I have made the leap to TI. As OP stated it's one bike for all reasons and sweasons so the only problem I have now is working out what my N+1 is going to be. Mrs S is slowly getting the bug so perhaps a tandem, TI of course..

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

@Chrismday re creaking - nothing from my kinesis gf ti so far, would have thought that was more an issue with installation than frame itself though.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

700c - thanks!

chrismday | 11 years ago
0 likes

My local dealer, who sells Kinesis frames, commented that they have more problems with creaking from Ti frames than from any other, usually from the bottom bracket.

Any views on this?

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

@Londonplayer - are ti bikes worth it -well comparing all ti frames to one internet retailer like canyon is slightly tricky but that aside, ti bikes fulfil particular criteria better than aluminium or carbon usually can - longevity, comfort, even appearance, but its ti's potential to be a bike for life that's the USP for me. Spending a bit more on the frame and having the confidence in the material, backed up by a long warranty just seemed to make economic sense for me..

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hello Sir!

Repairing? Erm not! Just as bad tbh.

Hospital said no riding as they think it's an underlying hip issue. I am not convinced if being honest but there you go.

I did disobey orders recently and have had 2 sessions of just 10 mins on the Allez strapped to the turbo. It was in hill climbing gear so just spinning but felt great mentally. Less so physically.

Today's a bad one. Such is life. Back to hospital on Monday. Thanks for asking.

Keep enjoying the new bike.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi SD,
how's you repairing??????

I really loved my Tarmacs too, they are great bikes - just my ageing bones are more 'appreciative' of the smoother ride and my reflexes are not what they used to be so a little slacker, slightly slower response is more suitable now. It's weired but I still do the same distances, though at not a great deal of difference in time, thus speed - it just seems 'not so fast' on the Sabbath... Relaxed maybe??? Strange but true.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

0 likes

I must say I pleased I bought a carbon bike but the changes coming in the road bike world (ie disc brakes for eg) makes me think my 'super bike' purchase should have perhaps been Ti.

Plus I have more than enough thinking time recently over riding time.

That said, for a race orientated bike the Tarmac is very comfy.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
are they worth twice the price????

Well I've owned many, many bikes - some of them top line S-Works etc but not one of them rides like my Ti Sabbath for sure.
However, a Ti is NOT the same as top line carbon bikes as ridden in the top end tours. Top line bikes as seen in the tours and racing are specifically for that - racing and winning. They are razor sharp in the handling, as stiff as hell and are seriously expensive, like ten times the price of Ti's in the market and teams get paid for riding the big brands bikes.
Mine was built by some cracking lads up't North, they couldn't afford to kit out a team like Sky for example.

It really is horses for courses - for us (now) mere cycling mortals who don't race for a living but for enjoyment, nothing compares to Ti for comfort and long distance enjoyment - sit back and enjoy the ride and it's not so much about 'keeping this harsh, bucking beast in it's reins'. Nice slack geometery and forgiving 'spring' in the frame..... Loverly.  4

My last bike (before this Ti one) was a top spec SL3 Specialized Roubaix which was a comfortable ride for sure, but nothing compared with the Sabbath and just as fast when needed - sold her due to the massive difference and now my preference for Ti.
As mentioned earlier, I wished I had bitten the bullet years ago and had Ti,,,,, I would have saved an absolute fortune.

Does take a little thinking about but well worth it.

Check out the second hand frames/bikes and you may well pick up a cracker for reasonable money.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

This discussion is very interesting. I'm currently about to buy a new bike. I just need convincing that buying a Titanium bike is really justified by the cost. I could buy 2 Canyons for the price of a Ti bike.

To play Devils' Advocate, if they're such good bikes, how come the Pro Peloton isn't all riding them?  4

broomwagonboy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a September and love it, sold my Bianchi about a year after i got it because I never rode it. Been touring on it and it's fine with panniers.
So glad I got it the frame is not as light as many carbon bikes but I have still got mine to just under 8kgs which is not bad for a do it all bike.

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks lovely Trikeman. I am a much happier cyclist since I bought my Kinesis gran fondo ti so I know exactly where you're coming from.. Mine was an upgrade from the same bike in Al (I broke my last two  2 ) so I've had a good opportunity to compare frame material. So my main priority was a strong, long lasting frame but the increase in suppleness is really welcome. I don't think this came at any expense of stiffness and virtually no weight increase.

Classy looks, all day comfort and security in the knowledge I'm unlikely to snap this frame any time soon!  1

0 likes

That's alright then  3

I am still off the bike! Seeing an expert at the hospital Monday.

Looks like the full sus mtb was a waste of money. Going through all the hospital paperwork I am quite concerned the 'bounce' while pedalling may have even been the culprit. Bet no one has ever had that one
before.

I won't show my father this thread as he has always thought of a van nich.

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have to admit i do hanker after a Ti frame, my wishlist would have the following :-

http://www.baumcycles.com/bikes/corretto

and

http://fireflybicycles.com/bikes/road-titanium

The craftsmanship on these is otherworldly, the quality of the welds.....

d_jp | 11 years ago
0 likes

Glad to hear you managed to get everything together and purchase your Ti bike! Also glad to hear you're enjoying it so much  1

Pierre | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep - I've got a Spin Spitfire III and it's just awesome. I had a Litespeed Archon Ti and I actually prefer the feel and responsiveness of the Spitfire. Looking forward to lots and lots more miles on it.  1

SlowMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

I love my Airborne Valkyrie which is these days known as a Van Nicholas Yukon. It takes a rack & mudguards if needed, is super comfy, helped by the extra length in the chainstays. As mentioned above, I have had it 7 years now and the frame looks almost as good as new. I also regret not getting into Ti sooner, the frame should last a lifetime so more than repaying the upfront expense.

0 likes

Nice bike.

Gutted you sold the stealth tarmac though!

trikeman replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Nice bike.

Gutted you sold the stealth tarmac though!

Hi SD,
however, the S-Works 'stealth Tarmac' is still in the fold, my best riding buddy who had been badgering me for ages got it in the end - he is chuffed to hell with it.

It sold with the previso that if he wanted to sell it in the future then it would be to me for first refusal.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

lbuch | 11 years ago
0 likes

Two bike here. Sabbath Silk Road Alp with Sram Red for summer and like you I have just built a Sabbath September for winter. Wonderful ride - proper comfy - all road bumps ironed out - full mudguards. Couldn't have wished for a better winter ride!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking that a Ti frame might be at the heart of my next bike, but I'm so inflexible that I need a tall headtube (like, 225mm including stack). This means that bikes with normal size tubing look a bit daft, whereas something like a Roubaix still manages to look good thanks to the oversize tubes and the curves from the top to the down tube.

What did you think of the Roubaix? I've noticed some shops still have 2011 SL3 in stock for £1400 - I can't be paying over £2.5k just for an SL4 frameset before I've even started building it up.

ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a couple of Ti road bikes and they are great. In honesty though the are very different to each other. One really cool thing about my ti bikes is that they still look great after a few years of abuse, which never seems to be the case with my other bikes. I use one ti bike for around 10000 miles a year and it is like an old favourite jumper or a pair of comfy old slippers. It has had a couple of groupsets and forks, numerous wheels, pedals and finishing kit, but it always feels nice.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

That looks absolutely brilliant. I love my Van Nic but can't commute on it as it has no rack or mudguard eyelets. I can ride all day on it without a hint of trouble though. Enjoy!

Noelieboy replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

My bike hasn't got any eyelets either but I found that the simple SKS Race blades do the job.
They attach using a rubber band & eyelet system around the fork & seat stays.
check it out...
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/race-blade-mudguards-black-ec012084

Noelieboy replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

That looks absolutely brilliant. I love my Van Nic but can't commute on it as it has no rack or mudguard eyelets. I can ride all day on it without a hint of trouble though. Enjoy!

My bike hasn't got any eyelets either but I found that the simple SKS Race blades do the job.
They attach using a rubber band & eyelet system around the fork & seat stays.
check it out...
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/race-blade-mudguards-black-ec012084

Latest Comments