Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon or Ribble?

I'm a newbie to the forum but looking for a bit of advice. I have about £1700 to spend on a new bike and have my eye on either a Ribble R872 or a Canyon CF 8.0. The canyon has a slightly higher groupset but unsure about ordering online with regards to sizing. The Ribble place is only an hours drive. Basic specs:

Ribble R872 (Full carbon)
Campagnolo Centaur carbon groupset
Mavic ksyrium elite wheels

Canyon CF 8.0 (Full carbon)
Campagnolo Athena 11spd groupset
Mavic ksyrium elite wheels

Think the Ribble is about £50 cheaper and looks pretty stealthy too, but still really like the canyon and think its lighter too. All ideas welcome. Ideally want as much for money as possible.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

ollie252 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi all, i bought a Canyon SLX last year and absolutely love it. Sizing was a concern but i found this website was great for calculating my size. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

This came up with a 54 frame which fits is perfectly. Canyons fit calculator came up with a 52 which would have had too smaller top tube.

I like to help my LBS when i can but you can't beat canyons value for money.

Dutch25 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the help again. I've measured up my current bike(wilier) and it pretty much fits the geometry of a 56 canyon. Will probably go and check out the ribble as its not that far away but the canyon still seems to be winning with customer service, spec, rideability and general value. Can't really ask for more than that.

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The canyon has a really good frame - really stiff and direct but is actually good with bumps. The bike feels firmer but less harsh than my Allez 2010.

One word of warning though, I could not get the Canyon to fit me - I have a 58cm Allez and a 60cm Canyon Ultimate CF. The canyon feels odd as in I cannot get enough pressure on the handlebars in corners so I have not feel of what is going on. It is smaller so I will at some point try an even longer stem but if it does not change anything I will sell it.

Even after all that I would go with a Canyon again as technically I was pretty impressed with the frame. Just absolutely make sure it fits you within the 30 days.

veseunr replied to koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes
koko56 wrote:

One word of warning though, I could not get the Canyon to fit me - I have a 58cm Allez and a 60cm Canyon Ultimate CF. The canyon feels odd as in I cannot get enough pressure on the handlebars in corners so I have not feel of what is going on. It is smaller so I will at some point try an even longer stem but if it does not change anything I will sell it.

I have heard that elsewhere too with the relaxed CF geometry. No problem with the CF SLX though with it's slighty racier set up ..... more ££ though!

Giusto | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for the Canyon.

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have an R872 with Athena and Campag wheels. I'm 6'1" with inside leg of 32", 110mm stem - the largest frame fits me fine (the 54.5)

The R872 has FULL internal routing

I've done about 2K kms on mine since July last year and the only problem I had was when I dropped it and bent the rear mech hanger. My first major ride on it was the Exodus and I was as comfortable as you can expect to be on a ten-hour ride.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave and Mattyb. I'm pretty sure that a 60 is my size.

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dave,
I thought it was comprehensive too .... but if you play with the numbers, only leg length seems to effect the calculation.

Sangharaja1 replied to Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats not good if that's true,
I might ask about that cause you got to trust these online only guys
Anyway bike is fine despite that
Dave

Littlesox | 11 years ago
0 likes

No brainer.

"The Ribble place is only an hours drive".

You will see it referred to on this (and other sites) as Local Bike Shop.

You will also read good reviews of Ribble products

No dilema as far as I can see

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Canyon. Great bikes.

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 182cm but have a 31" inside leg so quite a long back and bought the 58 based on top tube length. The 56 would have been fine in the legs as my saddle is not too high on the 58 but I would have needed a really long stem to get the reach which would have upset the handling. See if you can compare top tube lengths between your current bike and Canyon. My bike was a 2012 version and I know they have changed sizing for 2013 so things may differ now.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Canyon. Everytime. They are quality machines.

Mattyb, how tall are you? I'm 1.88m and I'm going to buy the Canyon 60cm frame. That's what the Canyon calculator tells me is my size but I'm nervous that it will be too big.

Sangharaja1 replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi London player
Im a 183cm and the Canyon calculator gave me a Large 58cm and I worried it was too small. I have just bought an Ultimate AL 9 Di which is a beauty.
If anything it is a shorter bike (shorter cross bar) to what I am used to. So to a relative newbie cycling for a year (I am 55 years old) it is a bit nerve racking
I was persuaded by the return in 30 day policy ,Bike radar best bike in 2012, German engineering (the high quality aluminium frame) and then the goodies eg the Mavic Kyserium wheels and of course the electronic shimano Ultegra Di2.
Must admit Ribble bikes look great too. I think for me it was down to confidence in the support you get from the company
when not seeing the bike and attracted by the specs of the bike.
Dave

Dutch25 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the help, especially with the sizing. Wish I knew more about the Ribble to properly compare, no one seems to know much about the R872. As much as I would like to have a Canyon SLX, don't think the funds are gonna stretch to it. Canyon winning at the moment!

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Canyon .... but I'd go for an SLX.

As above with size calculator .... only seems to take leg measurement into consideration.

Sangharaja1 replied to Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Bobby boys
I found on the website a more comprehensive calculator
which gave me more confidence when ordering
height, torso length, arm length, shoulder width and weight.
Dave

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't really comment on the Ribble but I love my Canyon. Bought it as a frameset and built it up with my existing Ultegra and wheels, much stiffer, lighter and more direct than my old Planet X. As far as buying online, you can compare geometry with your current bike or even the Ribble to make sure reach and stack are roughly the same. I'd take the Canyon size gizmo with a pinch of salt as it seems to only take inside leg in to account, I needed a 58 for the top tube length but the Canyon calculator recommended a 56 which would definitely have been too small.

Latest Comments