Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Using Strava on a phone abroad

I run Strava on an HTC Desire C.

When I go to Spain for a week of cycling can I still use it or will the cost be prohibitive. Does the Satellite use cost, or just the netowrk connection when the ride uploads? Can I stop the 3G bit and upload 4 or 5 rides all together when I get back?

Help!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah it does complain about having no internet, but thats just so it can sync as you ride.  3

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Like a right muppet i've always been turning on the internet connection for recording rides. All it does is eat more battery and disturb your ride with notifications for incoming emails and facebook stuff. I did once try without but then Strava complained about no internet connection, probably because it wanted to synchronise activities (i realise now). Just recorded a ride without the internet on, no problem.

Thanks guys! I'll be recording my rides in Holland next week.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Unless you have the battery power to do a round the world strava trip. I doubt you will ever run out of memory, It doesn't take alot to save a ride  3

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great thanks.

Will the memory be big enough to store 4 or 5 long rides and upload when I get back to blighty?

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah just turn off mobile internet and track with GPS. Upload to strava via wifi or wait till you get home.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

On Android there is a setting (in "Wireless and Networks" on my HTC Wildfire) where you can turn off mobile network (deselect the option "use phone for data connnection when wi-fi is unavailable") which should do what you need (but just to be clear I have not tried this myself so cannot guarantee...)

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't know about HTC, but most phones these days have a flight mode...

Switch that on, it will kill all data connections and then just turn the GPS on, it doesn't cost anything.

darth989 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah if its anything like my standard old HTC Desire just turn off the 3G and the GPS on and you should be fine.

Latest Comments