Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Moving down south

I've been offered a job at Stockley Park near Uxbridge, and having accepted the offer I now need to find somewhere to live down there sharpish.

I know nothing about the area, apart from avoid Slough, which I visited with work a few times.

Anyone on the forum live near there, or have any advice about good or bad areas to look in. I'll be renting for the first few months, then buying, so I'm looking for somewhere not too far away for a cycle commute.

thanks

Rob

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rob the name of the shop is Stows and yes they open Sundays (11 to 4) as for recommending them to do that particular (or any other) job, I can't answer that as I do all my own maintenance went on a review site and it had a fifty fifty share of good and bad. I think if you're not a newbie to cycling they're not going to try to recommend duff gear. Good luck.
P.S. try the white horse (but not too many) if you like good ales you'll love it.

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

Any chance of the name of the shop in Slough? And are they open Sunday? And can they remove a sheared bolt and retap? And would you trust them to?

I won't be using or recommending Quest (The Bike Shop, North Harrow) as they made a complete hash of a simple job this morning. And I mean a total Horlicks.

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

LBS in slough is quite good and you could cycle home via Maidenhead (the jewel of the thames)  21 over Cookham bridge then right Hedsor Rd left Heavens Lea then up the slight rise Harvest Hill to woburn common and back home via the White horse at Hedgerley.

0 likes

Oh and while I'm looking Quest are the ones in North Harrow I was pointed to. If they're the best round here, guess I'm going to be riding about 8 miles to the not quite L BS.

0 likes

Raleigh,
I never said there were not proper hills, though the closest one from those you list is over 20 miles away.
I've been here 3 weeks on Saturday, and just moved house, started a new job and am still recovering from being hit by a car a month ago (http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/local/cyclist-injured-police-pl...) so at present flat is fine. I'm not a climber and I've found enough on 1 recce ride to show me there's good riding locally, and that does not have to mean hills to me.

robdaykin (not verified) replied to robdaykin | 11 years ago
0 likes

One observation though. So far the driving round here is more patient and giving me more room than up north. Not totally annoyance free, but definitely less stressful, which is not what I expected at all.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are definitely proper hills.

Essendon Hill
Bledlow Ridge

Then there's the one with spitfires at the top...

Anyway, just try riding the Hardrider's course.

If its good enough for Sean Yates etc.

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

My commiserations.
There is some good stuff if you explore but it is all a little, um, tame. I was in Fulmer for a while so spent quite a bit of time riding around trying to find anything decent. You really do have to get up into the Chilterns to make the most of it. Moved to Beaky and then High Wycombe for a bit more hillage, but the lure of the North was too strong..  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Quest

0 likes

One other question, anyone know a decent LBS? Uxbridge have a Halfords (ahem), there's a small one at Ickenham, but they pointed me to North Harrow. Anything closer? Like Slough, or Denham, or Gerrards Cross?

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

head for lane end on the back roads and you can go up and down the chilterns a bit

robdaykin (not verified) replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now settled in and went out for a ride on Sunday, roughly a loop up to Amersham and back. 35 miles, 1470 or so feet of climbing, roughly equal when I checked to what I was doing in Yorkshire. Surprised how close the climbs are, with a decent leg stretch from Fulmer, only a couple of miles away. The climb from Beaconsfield up towards Penn is rather pleasant. Found one bit that counted as proper climbing in Amersham, which put me in the granny ring for 200 yards, but generally wouldn't need a compact, unlike Yorkshire where the hills tend to be steeper, but lots of long flat sections if you know where to look too.
Though the commute manages about 70 feet in 6 miles... Makes up for it in other ways though. Red light, sprint like hell, red light, sprint like hell, red light sprint like hell, green light, faint in shock... Not to mention speed humps from kerb to kerb.

0 likes

ended up in Iver Heath for the next 6 months, so I can scout somewhere to buy. All looks pan flat round there though, certainly compared to North Yorks.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Are you thinking of living in London, in a town or in a village? How far is far enough for a commute by bike? The outskirts of Slough aren't bad at all especially on the northern fringes. Good luck with the move.

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bring your wallet  19

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's pretty good cycling country, what with the circuit at Hillingdon and the Chilterns (Little Switzerland) very nearby.

Met., Picadilly and Central lines all operate nearby, as well as the Chilterns rail train that goes in to Marylebone, so public transport is pretty easy.

Harrow's nice, anywhere near the school will be expensive though.

Just a list of towns that look quite nice from cycling through:
Rickmansworth
Chalfont St. Giles
Chalfont St. Peter
Marlow
Beaconsfield
Ickenham

Then there's Gerard's Cross, which is quintessential Suburbia. Avoid if you don't want to get bored out of your mind driving down long roads with 60 identical Semi Detached homes with a double bay parking space, garage and rockery in the front garden.

:p

Latest Comments