Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wiggins Giro victory 2013

Its been well known Wiggo will go for the Giro this year (and more?) but is this an inevitability? A lot of people are talking like he just has to ride it to win it. I certainly hope he is still in form (one night off for SPOTY.) Who are his main rivals and how likely is a win?

Tour de France champion Sir Bradley Wiggins geared for Giro
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21196191

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think that Nibali will ride the Giro (part of his deal with Astana I believe), Kreuziger may ride too for Saxo or Chris Anker Sorrenson. Basso will ride too as far as I know. Pozzovivo might put time into Wiggins in the mountains but he'll get killed in the TTs. Possibly Monfort for RadioShack or someone like Wilco Keldermann for Blanco might have a shout too.

And obviously Hesjedal as defending champ will be the man to beat.

I reckon that it'll be a tough race to win but considerably easier than in other years given that all the big names (Contador, Froome, Valverde, Rodriguez if he gets a team, Van den Broeck, Evans, TJ Van Garderen and the rest) will be going for the Tour in it's Centenery outing.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

It'll be tough for him, won't it? I mean, the climbs on The Il Al Giro d'Italy are brutal, aren't they?

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Seems like people are more concerned about what he calls it than the possiblity he might loose, which is a relief.

Any chance GT might move up to the GC any time soon, do you think he will support the Giro or the Tour?

Sam1 replied to Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Seems like people are more concerned about what he calls it than the possiblity he might loose, which is a relief.

Any chance GT might move up to the GC any time soon, do you think he will support the Giro or the Tour?

G's definitely not riding Giro, sounds like he'll be on to support Froome in the Tour

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well obviously, Brad should have given the interview to the BBC in Italian then. Sorted.

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'the Giro' is also mixing languages, is it not  3

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

It depends on who will be riding the Giro this year. Take away Froome and Contador who will be both going for the TdF then i cant see many really good GT riders about.

You have JRod - will Katusha get an invite ?, Nibali, Van Den Broeck and Kreuziger. Valverde who will probably go for the Vuelta and then the likes Hesjedal, Schleck (TdF).

All fantastic riders but many dont have the teams to back them up.

Kingrolo replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

You have JRod - will Katusha get an invite ?, Nibali, Van Den Broeck and Kreuziger. Valverde who will probably go for the Vuelta and then the likes Hesjedal, Schleck (TdF).

I read yesterday that J Rod has offers waiting for after the Katusha hearing so who knows what races he'll be riding this year. And, er, I think you mean La Vuelta

Stumps replied to Kingrolo | 11 years ago
0 likes
Kingrolo wrote:
stumps wrote:

I read yesterday that J Rod has offers waiting for after the Katusha hearing so who knows what races he'll be riding this year. And, er, I think you mean La Vuelta

Picky picky picky  4

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

As londonplayer says, the "Tour of Italy" does grate - Phil and Paul use it all the time, presumably in the interests of accessibility. And putting my translator's head on, I'll stick with "the Giro" etc (which RCS itself uses in its English communications), in part because when you're saying something like "at the Giro," if you instead say "at il Giro" you're mixing languages and coming up with a nonsensical result (Italian would be "al Giro")  26

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'TBF to Wiggo I heard it on the National news and I thought he was trying to be a little more newbie friendly and to those who didn't know what the Giro was.'

He's more precise than most, of course.
The Tour of Italy, or *Il* Giro. Not 'The Giro'.

HTH  1

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ryder Hesjedal was in great form last year and he was going well in France to until ..... bump......ouch.

Maybe a dark horse? Pozzovivo?! He can climb!

Raleigh replied to veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes
veseunr wrote:

Maybe a dark horse? Pozzovivo?! He can climb!

Love his riding style but I'm sorry, there is NO WAY that the Poz is a clean athlete.  19

Did you watch Trentino last year? The way he'd launch an attack at the foot of every single climb, get caught half way up, attack again and then finish with the leaders...

Classy but...

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

eek! Wiggo calls the Giro the "Tour of Italy". Simon MacMichael will be well unimpressed....

Marauder replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

eek! Wiggo calls the Giro the "Tour of Italy". Simon MacMichael will be well unimpressed....

When I heard that I was a bit surprised too but TBF to Wiggo I heard it on the National news and I thought he was trying to be a little more newbie friendly and to those who didn't know what the Giro was.

Latest Comments