Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

650 Wheel Road Bike

Anybody any suggestions for a 650 wheeled road bike for a 10 year old lad?

Have looked at MODA, FELT but wondered if there are any others I should look at?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

othello | 11 years ago
0 likes

The only others I know of are

* Pro-lite TheOne

* Planet X announced the other day they were doing the Battaglin junior road bikes
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2013/01/28/youth-bi...

Personally I would go with Simon E's recommendation of the Isla Luath 26. Fantastic bikes (we've got 2 of the 24's at the moment). Being 10, he will grow quick and when he is ready for 700c wheels, and the choice widens, you will be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Islabikes Luath 26? As good as anything on the market and unbeatable residual value. Good for touring, racing, even cyclo-cross.

Secondhand you might find a Giant SCR in XXS (39cm) if you're really lucky.

RacePace | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, hadn't thought of Decathlon! Will check out on site, if anyone else has any thoughts on anything else i should checkout would be much appreciated...

Does anyone have a MODA or Felt? I did hear Cannondale did a 650 aswell but I can't seem to see anything on the tinterweb

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll third the BTwin/Decathlon bikes. My daughter raced one for a couple of years from age 10/11. Perfectly fine. Otherwise, check out Islabikes.co.uk for a variety of choices.

philsinclair | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the above, Triban from Decathlon. Bought my 11yo one. Really good value starter road bike. You can mail order to. Smallest is 47" My son has a 48" and was 1m40cm  1

KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes - B'Twin Triban 3 51cm. £299 from Decathlon. The website doesn't say that the smaller sizes come in 650c. Check out the reviews - pretty glowing. My wife's had one for a month now, done maybe 150km now the weather's nice and is very happy with it. It's mostly 2300 with a bit of Sora, carbon fork, alu frame made in Romania, triple ring for the hills, and looks really nice in the flesh. For £299 you can't go wrong. With a bit of handyman-age you can get 700c mudguards to fit nicely too - just put some SKS Raceblade Long's on it, as well as some crosstop levers: http://twitpic.com/bzk9u9

Latest Comments