Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How is UCI Leadership Decided?

If everyone is in agreement that the current UCI leadership is a disaster; what has to happen for it to get changed? Are the current people there for a fixed period of time or does somebody have to bring a vote of no confidence?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about this: We all email/tweet/Facebook the team sponsors, saying unless they pull their teams from the races or organise a go-slow or some other farce, we won't buy their stuff?

We saw how effective consumer power was at killing the NoTW through advertiser backlash - how different is us blackmailing bike firms to do our bidding, for the good of the sport?

No teams, no race, no TV coverage, no UCI cash - right? Surely it would only take one or two farcical major events to bring the UCI to its knees? If it dug in it would only get worse.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

As ever, Inner Ring has done a post that nails the issues.

Saves me having to wade through the UCI Constitution  3

http://inrng.com/2012/09/how-to-replace-pat-mcquaid/

AWP replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

As ever, Inner Ring has done a post that nails the issues.

Saves me having to wade through the UCI Constitution  3

http://inrng.com/2012/09/how-to-replace-pat-mcquaid/

Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

So, although there's a vote in 2013, it looks unlikely that the National Federation members are going to be put off by issues relating to Pro Cycling and drug use. The likelyhood is that they believe McQuaid is doing a good job. The biggest issue for them would be a clear threat of cycling being dropped from the Olympics. What happened to that threat a few weeks ago, did it progress?

Thanks again for the link

Simon_MacMichael replied to AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes
AWP wrote:

The biggest issue for them would be a clear threat of cycling being dropped from the Olympics. What happened to that threat a few weeks ago, did it progress?

Thanks again for the link

From memory, it was former WADA president Dick Pound who said that and therefore it needs to be viewed in wider context of WADA vs UCI (and rumoured future candidacy of Pound to succeed Jacques Rogge as IOC president).

Seem to recall that sources within the IOC itself pretty much laughed it off.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not a clue, but I would love to through my hat in the ring as an independent candidate. From the Road.cc party (similar to the Monster raving loony party....but on bikes)

Latest Comments