Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame

Hi Guys

I was looking at the sub £1k Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame and was wondering is it "too good to be true???"

I have heard of a story from my local bike builder of frames breaking & causing accidents. Ribble even being taken to court...

Who out there has a Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame, can you vouch for them plse???

cheers
N

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

fast as fupp | 10 years ago
0 likes

i think your 'local bike builder' may be pulling your leg  16

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

New hanger  1 Frame was undamaged

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's good of them - just to check though, they sent you the correct hanger, or a new frame?

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had no probs with after sales - when I bent the mech hanger, I ordered the 'Stealth' replacement, only to find it had changed and the R872 was a different mounting.

I contacted Ribble and they sent me an R872 as soon as they were in stock and didn't wait until I'd sent back the wrong one or put in a confirmed order for the new one.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

My frame was from Graham Weigh just over the border into Wales, but he reckoned that his/Ribble/Dolans frames were all the same item. The R872 looks a bit different, and as has been said, seems to be the same as the De Rosa R838, but I've had no problems with mine.

Only issues I've ever heard of re Ribble were related to the online customer service rather than the products themselves.

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

PS - I had the 'cheap chinese frames' comment from my LBS when I took my Ribble Audax in for a service last year.

He also refused to fix my Pro-Lite Como's when I broke a spoke and tried instead to flog be a pair of £500 American Classics - bought some Fulcrum 7's instead and haven't been back there again.

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had my R782 since July last year

It's essentially the same frame as the De Rosa R838, except with full internal routing and a reinforced rear hanger for electronic shifting.

Granted I've only dropped my bike once in over 2000km (bent rear mech hanger), but it's been brilliant (and I'm no racing snake) - it copes well with my 100kg bulk and (if the power meter on the TT is to be believed) 200w plus average output.

Don't have the lightest wheels (Campag Sciroccos) but do have carbon Athena 11-speed

Do know of others with R872's or Stealths - none of them have reported any probs

Hope this helps - please DM me if you want more info
Regards
Andy

Latest Comments