Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Urinary Incontinence; How Do I Ride Now?

Hi Everyone,

I recently had surgery that has left me with urinary incontinence. Hopefully, this will be a temporary issue.

Does anybody have any advice for me regarding management of this issue?

By the way, I do road cycling and typically wear lycra cycling shorts with a chamois.

Any advice would be helpful.

Kind Regards

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

JamesHalford2k18 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Did you know cycling fitness is gained depending on how you rest and recover? Find out the best method as well as other health and fitness tips by clicking the link!

https://www.probiketool.com/us/ride-faster-and-feel-better-cycling-fitne...

hawkinspeter replied to JamesHalford2k18 | 5 years ago
2 likes

JamesHalford2k18 wrote:

Did you know cycling fitness is gained depending on how you rest and recover? Find out the best method as well as other health and fitness tips by clicking the link!

https://www.probiketool.com/us/ride-faster-and-feel-better-cycling-fitne...

Did you know that JamesHalford2k18 is spamming links? Any chance of banning him?

Chris Moray | 5 years ago
1 like

Hi everyone especially QAEngineer624 in Canada. I too have had incontinence problems after being diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer over a year ago, then a radical prostatectomy, hormone and radiotherapy. This came out of the blue and for a long time cyclist (55 years) it really sucked, especially as I had just retired and had planned some mega audax events and long distant charity rides...   The problem with surgery is that it takes away two of the main means by which you control urine flow and you then have to retrain the pelvic floor muscle. Nearly twelve months later  I still struggle to the extent I didn't want to meet people, or engage in sport, it was just too stressful. I didn't cycle for six months and then gradually got back in to it at a pretty basic level. I started cycling with my club after eight months and usually met them half way on our usually morning rides before getting to our cafe stop. I carry at least two pads and just have to lump it if I leak and wet my bib shorts. It is embarrassing and often humiliating and  stressful, even if my mates are not aware of me peeing. The only plus thing is pressure from the saddle does slow down the leakage, stand up for a hill section and out it comes. I have started to adapt to staying on my saddle for the hills, just shifting forward a bit. After  and hour or two I do get  uncomforatble down below with my bib pad and the incontinence pad; I guess the answer there is to get some padless bibs. It s hard folks and globally one on seven men are predicted to get prostate cancer. If you are in your fifties, get up to pee in the night or get a UTI, get checked out with your GP/physician. QAEngineer, take care and hope you are getting out on two wheels regularly.

DoctorFish | 5 years ago
2 likes

I started reading this with interest not realising the initial post was 5 years old.  Thank you for coming back, resurecting the post, and updating with your current progress.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
6 likes

It is important that these types of issues are talked about. Real people, real problems, good advice for others who might face similar challenges.

Hope you have a great cycling season.

M

QAEngineer624 | 5 years ago
6 likes

Update:

It's now 5.5 years since surgery.

Return to normal has been slow but not complete; there is still residual effects.

The practice is to empty before riding, put on ther shorts and use a light or medium pad.

I wasn't able to ride much last year and this year I'm getting a late start due to home projects and feeling under the weather.

Going to start slow for some short rides and them build up speed and endurance.  The speed and edurance are not effedts of surgury, just personal limitations.

QAEngineer624 | 10 years ago
2 likes

Update:

Well, it's summer and I've had the opportunity to ride outside. With the aid of some 'protection', I am able to ride without much interference from my 'condition'.

My 'condition' has significantly improved but I still need a pad whether on or off the bike.

I'm writing to provide some encouragement to others who have the same issue as I have.

Now, if I can only find more time to get on the bike!

QAEngineer624 | 11 years ago
1 like

Many thanks, Tour Le Tour.

Great idea. Now I'll have a legitimate excuse to wheelsuck and/or ride without friends.

Honestly, thanks. I will look into it - it may be one of many techniques that I'll have to use.

Cheers.

Tour Le Tour | 11 years ago
2 likes

As someone else said, ewww. Sounds pretty unpleasant, so you have my sympathy. Hopefully everything will be functioning again by the time you get back out on the road. On the off-chance that you are still having problems though:

I started a long race a few years back, and kept catching a flash of light of the leg of one of the guys in the bunch. At first I thought it was just bouncing off his deep tan, and then I realised that there was something attached to his leg. It was a very small diameter clear plastic tube, taped on at strategic intervals, leading all the way down to end just below the sole of his shoe, and all the way up to disappear up the leg of his knicks. When I say small diameter I mean it can't have been more than 2mm, and I did think at the time (once I figured out what it was for) "wow, that guy must have great control to avoid having the pressure just blow whatever attachment system he has up the top straight off."

I guess though if it was there for leakage rather than for actual deliberate urination (which it could have been, I didn't stop to ask) the flow is probably going to be much slower so the pressure would be much less. I should say that I quickly moved myself ahead of this guy, just in case, and then there was a split in the bunch and I never saw him again.

So that might be a solution for you. I must say though that you should make sure you have thick enough skin to not be offended if your riding mates send you to the back of the bunch at times, because it would probably still exit that tube at reasonable pressure. I can't imagine having a narrow stream of high pressure urine bouncing off the road right in front of you making for a particularly pleasant riding experience!

1 like

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads-up re Lemond. These lips shall never touch a peach again! I've got enough problems.

I should have mentioned that it is urinary incontinence. I couldn't imagine riding if it was faecal.

Yes, it is humour; I'm from Canada, eh.

-Chris

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ewww.

andylul | 11 years ago
1 like

It's good to see you've not lost your sense of humour (or is it humor)?

You don't mention whether it's bladder or bowel related but I have issues related to ongoing investigations for prostatitis - I actually find the motion of cycling helps!

Let's hope you never have a 'Lemond's Bad Peach' experience, though...

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/243

Hope you get well soon
Regards
Andy

QAEngineer624 replied to andylul | 11 years ago
1 like

Sorry, I amended the title of the thread and clarified the details in my initial comments.

-QAEngineer624 aka Chris

2 likes

Just a thought, yoga could help build the muscles back up in that area? In the name of control and all that.

QAEngineer624 replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
3 likes

Yup. I guess that I've already started that in a way by doing my Kegel exercises.

They took my mojo! I still have my soul, although it's a bit ragged. Damned if they'll take my cycling away, too. Maybe I'll have to visit a Lululemon store for my new kit.

2 likes

Thanks for the advice "notfastenough" and "Gkam84".

I have about two to three months before I can start riding outside [1) I had surgery and it will take a while to recover, and 2) I live in Canada so freezing or significant chilling is a concern!) Hopefully, I can improve my control by April or May. In the meantime, I'll be testing out various 'techniques' on the indoor trainer that my brother is lending me.

If anybody else has advice, I'm all ears.

Ciao,
Chris

1 like

Blimey that's awkward, I'm always nipping to the toilet a few times (and wondering whether that will be enough) before a ride to avoid being caught short. Is it worth either 1. taking a bike lock and riding a route near places where you can find a toilet at short notice, or 2. taking your own toilet roll if in remote areas?

Gkams advice also seems sensible.

I hope it is indeed temporary. Good luck.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
2 likes

Really sorry to hear about your condition.

Really hope it is a temporary issue and that it doesn't last long.

My advice and I don't want to sound funny or anything because this is pretty serious, but avoid bumps.

Make sure you empty your bladder before riding, that way it should lead to less leakage, smaller rides where you take on less fluid might be advisable for a while until the issue is sorted.

Further than that, I have no clue, I don't want to suggest pads, but if you are one who does long rides or offroad, this might be your best bet, your local pharmacy would stock them.

Latest Comments