Merlin Malt R

by sillybigfella   January 21, 2013  

Merlin have these bikes for a knockdown price of £499 and thinking of incurring the wife's wrath by buying one.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes...

I want a sportive-esque bike and have about £600 to spend. They're well specc'd for the money. Should I buy a 'bigger' brand like Specialized, Giant or Felt (the ones my LBS carry)or tread my own path and buy the Malt?

I tried a Felt Z95 and a Giant Defy, and they felt pretty good. Hoping to further annoy the missus and drive up to Chorley on Sat to try the Malt.

Cheers in advance.

4 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

A merlin with tiagra for 500 quid - id be all over it rather than a giant etc. go for it!

Dodging the saccadic masking

posted by notfastenough [2796 posts]
21st January 2013 - 23:48

like this
Like (3)

What a cracking bike for the money and a reasonable quality fork too.
I agree with notfastenough - go for it and let us know how you get on with it.
Bet there will be a lot of buyers for that puppy - you could just about buy the groupset for that money.
Regards,

Trikeman. Wink

Grunt, puff, pant and groan goes the old man - but he gets there in the end. ;o)

trikeman's picture

posted by trikeman [346 posts]
23rd January 2013 - 12:40

like this
Like (1)

Looks pretty damn good - better than the £900 Argos (yes, that Argos) carbon bike.

It does say " Although the image shows a double groupset this amazingly priced sale bike comes with a triple groupset. The spec on this bike is fixed as listed above and cannot be changed." - I assume that's ok with you? (I ride a triple except on my fastest bike, and am very happy with it).

PJ McNally's picture

posted by PJ McNally [571 posts]
30th January 2013 - 9:36

like this
Like (0)

Cheers for the advice, but I've decided to go for the Specialized Secteur Sport Triple instead.

posted by sillybigfella [1 posts]
30th January 2013 - 17:41

like this
Like (8)