Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Merlin Malt R

Merlin have these bikes for a knockdown price of £499 and thinking of incurring the wife's wrath by buying one.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes...

I want a sportive-esque bike and have about £600 to spend. They're well specc'd for the money. Should I buy a 'bigger' brand like Specialized, Giant or Felt (the ones my LBS carry)or tread my own path and buy the Malt?

I tried a Felt Z95 and a Giant Defy, and they felt pretty good. Hoping to further annoy the missus and drive up to Chorley on Sat to try the Malt.

Cheers in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

sillybigfella | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the advice, but I've decided to go for the Specialized Secteur Sport Triple instead.

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks pretty damn good - better than the £900 Argos (yes, that Argos) carbon bike.

It does say " Although the image shows a double groupset this amazingly priced sale bike comes with a triple groupset. The spec on this bike is fixed as listed above and cannot be changed." - I assume that's ok with you? (I ride a triple except on my fastest bike, and am very happy with it).

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a cracking bike for the money and a reasonable quality fork too.
I agree with notfastenough - go for it and let us know how you get on with it.
Bet there will be a lot of buyers for that puppy - you could just about buy the groupset for that money.
Regards,

Trikeman.  3

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

A merlin with tiagra for 500 quid - id be all over it rather than a giant etc. go for it!

Latest Comments