Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing overshoes for all seasons

I have recently bought my first road bike after getting back into cycling on my maountain bike. Then got some clip in pedals and road shoes (Shimano R191 SPD-SL) Haven't had chance to get used to them yet considering all the snow.

I want to get some overshoes that will keep my feet warm and dry as the shoes have loads of vents, but ones that I can also use in the spring and autumn when its rainy.

So without having to buy two pairs, what would you recommend.... preferably no more than £25.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i use endura neoprene dec-march and on dry butcold day rapha cordura overshoes. and in the summer prendas overhoes as the are very thin and keep the shooes nice  1 have to say i rode in the raphas today and they held up nicely whilst it was sunny but not massively warm.

enduras are on the second dartmoor winter with 6000 miles ish underneath them and they are doing well.

the raphas look amazing and fair play are a sensible price and i see many uses/washes in them easily

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - I feel another modification coming on!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

In the current weather I have duct tape over the vent holes on the soles, then I put my overshoes on.

FWIW, I have two pairs, one waterproof and one warm and waterproof. Wool socks aren't sufficient in the winter otherwise.

Sensible | 11 years ago
0 likes

No the Overshoes don't cover the hole in the bottom of the shoe.

.....Correction. I had BBB Hard Wear Overshoes, not Heavy Duty.

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

I thought its time for me to invest...however, I use road shoes with 2 pairs of socks and today went through a puddle (flooded road) on the way home and got both feet and ankles wet through...does the little hole in the bottom of the shoes get plugged closed with over shoes?

Sensible | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got my BBB Heavy duty Overshoes today. I went for a size 43/44 to use with size 45 Shimano R191 road shoes. Glad I did because they are a perfect fit.

Just got back from a 29 mile ride through some muddy and flooded roads. Feet were warm and dry. Very pleased with my choice.

Tovarishch | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of BBB Heavy Duty Shoe Covers which cope with -5 and very deep puddles (unless the water goes over the top!). Purchased a pair of their ArcticDuty Shoe Covers for when it got cold but can't get them over my shoes and they are the largest size they do!

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's impossible!

I have 5 different pairs...

1) Endura Equipe for dry racing.
2) Castelli Nano for wet racing.
3) Bright yellow Gore softshell ones for cold evening training.
4) Gore Goretex ones for when it's Siberic.
5) PRO H2O for when sets 3 and 4 are still wet from previous ride.

This year I got fed up and bought winter shoes. If I had to give up 4 of the above I'd hang onto the PRO H2O as they were my first and they are good and have lasted several years.

Sensible | 11 years ago
0 likes

.... spoke too soon. Pro New Classic out oif stock and can't seem to get my size anywhere. Just ordered BBB Hard Wear (neoprene and waterproof). Hopefully, I will have some soon!

Sensible | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the recommendations.

However, I went ahead and bought Northwave H2o Extreme and got them delivered today. They seemed very thin material, although well made. I had my doubts about whether they would be warm enough, so sent them back.

I have just ordered Pro New Classic, 2.5 neoprene and they are supposed to be waterproof as well.

There seems to be good reviews/recommendations for Pro kit, and considering that they are really Shimano the sizing should fit my Shimano shoes.

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pro Endure H2O - really really good. Still get your feed wet if without mudguards but Endura Luminate and Planet X Neoprene ones do the same. The shoes are clean though.

But the Pros are always a good fit over the shoe - sit evenly and tights. Tried with MTB and road shoes all fine.

You should be able to get them for around £25, just google around.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just bought some Endura Road overshoes as my Altura neoprene don't keep my shoes dry. Some people have had issues with stitching/zip problems but will see how they go. Pro (now branded Shimano) NPU are among the best but do cost more.

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

the thick neoprene "Pro" ones are good. The only ones I've had that didn't fall apart within 2 months. Quite warm too. Neoprene isn't waterproof, but does greatly slow the speed at which water can go through, and will keep you warm even when wet. The "Pro" ones have the thickest, densest neoprene of the 3 sets I've tried.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't go wrong with a pair of MuddyFox from Sports Direct, someone sent me a pair, still no idea who. But brilliant pair never the less.

Think they were around £12

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got the dhb wind proofs which are pretty good. The neoprene a are too warm and the waterproof ones always let in water and don't seem to last that long.

Latest Comments