Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fantasy Directeur Sportif Challenge

Not sure if you've seen it but in case you lot haven't, I've challenged TERatcliffe this year to pick a squad of riders and try and run a 'proper' fantasy team through the season.

We'll both be blogging about it through the year and the first posts are up (/blog).  Anyway, you lot are free to pick your own squads too and keep us all informed of how you're doing either on here or in the blog comments.  I've set up a league and if you've got any questions, let me know.

EDIT

If you want to take part the list of rider values you'll need is here http://db.tt/1rO7IFhq and check out my post here /content/blog/74271-big-unveil for rules etc.

RUNNING UPDATE:

World Tour Points - 1037 total / 851 based on top 5 riders

Fantasy points total: 2583

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

115 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Right guys two races this weekend, Flanders Sunday followed by Pais Vasco Monday.

No Gilbert makes it easy for me with exactly 9 riders for Flanders, I have you with 8 Dan and an exact 9 for you too Rob.

Just about to look at Pais Vasco teams now

Also will send you out the spreadsheet after Roubaix/Pais Vasco have finished next weekend

0 likes

For Pais Vasco I have exactly 9, Dan has 8 and Rob you have 12 to choose from so just let me know your final lineup when you decide

TERatcliffe26 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

My Paris-Nice is going ok so far, Bouhanni and Kittel hav picked up stages, Kelderman showed well in the prologue and both Westra and Quintana are looking strong. The only downside is my first major injury of the year losing Bouhanni.

My Tirreno-Adriatico team is:

Cavendish
Demare
Cancellara
Vanendert
Vanmarcke
Nordhaug
Sammy Sanchez
Andy Schleck

Looking strong with the leaders jersey after the TTT and a good chance of a result today. Overall though it's a much weaker team than my PN team with no real GC prospects in there.

You have Devolder too

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Man, how could I forget such a superstar...

He got you 1 point yesterday  3

Simon_MacMichael replied to robdaykin | 11 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

Sudden daft thought. If Sky seriously want to win a Classic they should get Wiggo to ride as a DS in one of the Spring races.

Too dangerous with the big season goal of the Giro round the corner?

One of the reasons G missed the Classics altogether last year was the risk of getting injured and screwing up the team pursuit - yes it can happen in any race, but the risk is perceived as greater in the Classics.

Simon_MacMichael replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

What I'm most curious about is which big hitters will be going to the Vuelta? Most of the proper out and out GC contenders are down for the Giro or TdF and I'm not sure how many, other than perhaps Nibali, will look to ride the Vuelta.

Last year was a little different since by this time we knew Contador was out of Giro and TDF and would be back for Vuelta.

Otherwise, yeah, it's difficult... some riders who will pick up injuries in months ahead will ride it (eg Wiggins in 2011), other riders who blow in the Giro say and are looking to rescue season, then it's also an opportunity for some teams to give a younger rider a chance to lead them in a Grand Tour (as should have been the caae with Froome in 2011).

robdaykin (not verified) replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Westra and Roche haven't performed as I'd hoped either

Can't comment on Westra but Roche is Mr Consistently just outside the WT points... He's turning in top 20 rides daily but seems to be riding within himself. The fact he and Sorenson are getting to the line together implies to me that maybe he's just riding to see how everyone else's form compares. Doesn't seem to be pushing himself too hard. At least I'm hoping it's tactical, and not just lacking an extra gear. I was hoping he'd be riding more like Dan Martin is this year, and it was a toss up for me which one of the two I picked. I'm not unhappy with him though.

TERatcliffe26 replied to robdaykin | 11 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

E3 Prijs:

Hushovd, Schar, Cancellara, Rasch, Appollonio, M Iglinsky, Cattaneo, Dowsett,

Depends on the weather, but I have no great hopes despite a long list of good riders.

I know we're not doing the Criterium International, but I've high hopes for that with TJ, Roy, Roux, JTL, Voigt, Schleck, Xandio, Riblon and Talansky riding which to me looks like a really strong line up. Should also see how TJ and Cadel are getting on, which is a major influencer on my TdF team leader decision. Let's see some fireworks  19

I hope Tejay wins as he is in my squad on a different fantasy game where the teams have budgets and contracts and he is my highest paid rider

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I cant remember, are we doing E3-Harelbeke? I'm kinda hoping so as Cancellara is smashing it  4

Yes we are

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Hurray!

You got 94 WT, 66 fantasy
Rob got 80 WT, 64 fantasy
I got 60 WT, 49 fantasy

robdaykin (not verified) replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've been sat waiting for Fuglsang to do something. . . . but it looks like he's been talking to Roche about how to stay just high enough in the GC to not get fired without actually earning any points. Still always tomorrow, on several fronts.

For Gent Wevelgem I make mine:

Cav, Rasch, Appollonio, M Iglinsky, Hushovd, Schar, Cattaneo, Dowsett, Cancellara

though opinions vary over whether Rasch or Puccio are riding for sky. The fantasy game is the only place I can find listing Puccio instead. Can;t see Rasch winning though, so it's moot.

Meanwhile TJ 3rd today in the Crit, with Cadel 45 seconds back in 74th, just ahead of Bouhanni. That looks good for TJ as (joint) leader.

0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

which presumably fits in the 150 points, hence dropping Westra rather than say van Rensburg?

Speaking of which are we using the 150 points limit? I've only been taking it into account on the non premium races where I'm setting up on the girlfriend's account, I haven't bothered adding up otherwise. It did affect PN since that was why I dropped Iglinsky.

And are we doing the Classics purist? I.e. whoever we pick today limits who we have in Tour of Flanders and Roubaix?

No the 150 points doesn't apply as we already picked the squad on a tight budget, and many races we haven't had full teams or only just full teams

No not purist, its easier just doing it separate, and it makes it better for WT points anyway, as real teams pick individually for each classic.

0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

Fine. The 150 would have meant you dropping 1 or 2 riders today, which is not exactly fair, given you only have 7 anyway. Albeit possibly 7 of the top 10.

Maybe we should have made it clearer at the start. Also Ive left your Iglinsky points in, both WT and fantasy, so I presume they were not in your 1234 (so you had 1275 before I started scoring). As a presume you would have picked him else. I had to do your overall total slightly differently as I didnt have the rider breakdown scores (for your riders that were not in either mine or Dans team) pre Catalunya.

(removed my email address now Ive just got yours) I will be able to send the spreadsheet to you, as I do Dan, with all the scores on, after every couple of events

robdaykin (not verified) replied to robdaykin | 11 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

Sudden daft thought. If Sky seriously want to win a Classic they should get Wiggo to ride as a DS in one of the Spring races.

I've just watched the Crit highlights from ITV4 last night, and at the end they announced are going to do highlights programmes of Roubaix and LBL on the race day. LBL of course, according to Mr Boulting being one of Wiggo's targets for this season.

I nearly fell off my chair...

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

Started off thinking WT only, then got distracted trying to work out the points breakdown, and forgot WT in the process of disappearing up my own orifice.

If we're doing it for WT points as the first priority, you have 19 teams worth of riders. Just becomes a question then of how you choose or allocate riders. If you want to give people choice, then you need less than 19 teams. Even 1
less gives some choice. The fewer the more choice.

I agree we need more than the handful of us already doing this, and to attract players it probably needs to be simpler than the spreadsheet I'm doing, and I suspect you guys are using. I don't mind the effort, since I'm learning a lot about the sport doing this, which makes it worthwhile to me.

The auction/draft mess and 60 riders are too complex and too many. We'll see how many riders we each get into each WT race this year, but I don't think at 28-30 you will fill your roster for every race, unless you pick heavily along the lines of a current WT team lineup, or are very good/lucky. For example I've been over for TdU and PN, but I'll be short for Tirreno, and I'm guessing for other races to come.

As for picking, if we can't just do as we did this year and we have to avoid overlaps, then we need some way to make it a fair process. How about I get first choice, since I'm going to come last this year  1

If we had say 12 team slots, what about each of us taking 1/12th of the riders available, so we split all the WT riders between us? Ignoring values, other than as a guide to 'quality'. Or is that what you mean by draft. I'm never sure how drafts work, since in NBA, the only sport I follow that does drafts (that I know of) it's a mystery to me how it works.

I still think a random allocation of the top n riders to teams could work.

Anyway got 9 months to iron this out, so no hurry. Anyone has a light bulb moment, please illuminate us all.

0 likes

I think if your doing it as a draft rather than an auction per say then your way seems far too complicated and far too restrictive.

I don't quite get your first point  39 532 riders of WT means all the others are non-WT therefore in the main will not be selected if we are sticking to WT races, so obviously if you had 15 teams you are not leaving much choice for people if its a draft and made them pick certain riders within certain price brackets etc

0 likes

alright, 19 WT teams with say 28 riders each gives a pool of 532 riders in total. In the preseason spreadsheet there are 1394, worth 9644.8 points in total.
There are 10 riders worth 30 or more, 40 worth 20-30, 261 worth 10-20.

So if we say 15 teams, each with 3 star riders worth 20+ points, and 10-12 worth 10-20. with another 15 or so under 10, then the 300 points is a little generous, say 280 points to pull things down, giving a total of 4200 points used.
If we say each team must have say 3 neo pros that brings us to 30 riders per team. Careful selection of non WT riders will help too because some of the Pro level teams like Caja, Netapp etc are getting invites and turning in good performances, expanding the available pool of riders.

At most I reckon you could have 20 teams, but you'd need to pull the points down, and someone would not have 3 'top' level rider over 30 points, so 15 seems fair, with maybe a random pick of one of the highest value 'star' riders when you sign up to avoid argument, and challenge you to build a team round that high cost rider.

My current team has 1 of those 30 point + riders, 5 at 20-30, 7 at 10-20 and just 5 at 3 points only and I'm pretty happy with the breakdown. The only observation is that sprinters are pricier 'cos these values come from the Fantasy game, not the WT points. If I picked again, I'd have a couple more 3 pointers to afford another well known sprinter. All my riders are WT, and I have a little overlap with all 3 other teams.

The other observation is that we don't pick the actual riders in each race, so maybe it would be an idea to have 20 teams, each allowed 450 points, and 60 riders. That would use 1200 of the riders and hopefully each team would get 9 in each race, being required to declare up front. 450 points is 30 riders at 300, 30 for 150 more, averaging 5 per rider.
To sort out who gets which riders, there are loads of ways. The fairest I can think of so far is everyone is assigned a top rider. You then have a pot of 'money' and can bid for the next 5 riders. Winning bid signs. Then new pot of money for next 5 and so on. Giving 12 rounds of drafts in total. Maybe that's too many, maybe 10 riders per draft for 6 rounds, or 12 for 5. First rider assigned avoids the inevitable bidding wars for Sagan or Wiggins or Cav. Or do bidding for riders over 10, and neo pros only, riders 3-10 in value sign for first offer after the bidding rounds complete.

Thoughts?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fair point, there's a balance to be found between having enough teams to ensure that every team isn't full of stars and not so many teams that everyone is limited to having mostly cheap riders and can't field full/strong teams for most races.

We'll see how this year goes (the current format doesn't seem amazingly popular with only about 5 of us taking part) and have a look at the end of the year.

Personally I like the idea of picking a squad and running it for the whole year. It's finding a format that works for as many people to enjoy as possible.

0 likes

I think what you would find then is you are making it too restrictive, for example we've picked teams our teams with no other people picking and I still don't have a full team for P-N, so I think if you tried to employ the 150 credit rule it wouldn't work. By all means a credit limit on the overall to a degree (probably 700 id say, see why further down), as if you look at our teams, we don't have an awful lot of stars, but we do have a fair amount of 3 credit riders, and then when you think 10 teams, thats alot of 3 credit riders gone, without there being much choice.

Your talking very similar to the game I play on PROFSL, basically you have a budget and contracts. So its a bidding draft, which means you can stop as high as you want to go, and contracts can role over 2/3 years spreading cost out etc. So thats where trying to employ other limits when values are already set becomes very difficult. I think if you are using set values and say you couldn't go over 700 credits, so you effectively couldn't go out and have 30 guys of 25 credits it would work anyway as over 10/12 teams you would get a big enough spread of riders that people would think, oh Cancellara has gone (25 credits) your next pick, i want a classic guy who finishes high, so you go Santambrogio (8 credits) so it would all work out anyway

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

If it were a proper draft you could credit limit it, if you end up with more than the limit after the draft then you have to release some riders and pick up whoever is free. Either that or do trades. It could be a strategy, don't use of your limit in the draft and see who gets released after.

You could even keep it persistent over years, you get to give 10 riders a three year contract, 10 a two year and the rest one year. Whoever drops out of contract ends up in the following years draft.

Also if we forced the 150 credit limit on each race it would force teams to plan and to pick riders at a variety of price points. That would hopefully encourage planning rather than trying to load up on high value stars. Anyway, the more teams there are the more the high value riders would be spread around. 150 team limit also has the benefit of meaning all scoring can be done in game  4

Was thinking most fantasy races but maybe doing similar to this year where we do year end rankings based on accumulated World Tour points for your top 12/15 riders. Much easier to work out and covers you in case you don't pick someone in the your squad who goes on to win something.

Just thinking aloud really, it could be fun but don't know how many people would be interested.

0 likes

It depends what races on the actual calender you were using, as to what riders you deem valuable. The more races the more teams. But id say possibly 10-12 is about right to make it somewhat competitive. But doing a draft means you wouldn't be credit limited

0 likes

Yeah, no poaching, Talansky signed with me this season :-P

Just looking over my spreadsheet, and after an encouraging start, there's a huge hole with the early classics where I just have one or two riders entered per race. Seems like not many of the guys I picked for Classics are doing the early ones.

Then I hit Paris Nice, and Tireno and 22 out of 27 are in there.

Seems I may have misjudged how this part of the year works with the stage races and the one days. Having said that I've never really bothered with any races before April/May time, so it's all learning this year.

Next year, I think I need to review my balance of GC vs sprinters. Kittel, Cav and Appollonio aren't enough to cover the range of races and finishes. GC riders may be better for WT over the year, but my team goals are less aligned with WT points and more crowd pleasing ones and top 20 in GC doesn't float that many boats compared to a Sagan salute.

Maybe need to be haunting the u23 races and continental teams looking for the next fast gun.

drheaton replied to robdaykin | 11 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

Yeah, no poaching, Talansky signed with me this season :-P

Out of interest, thinking ahead to next year (already), how many team do you reckon we'd need to make a workable draft league? ie every rider exists once and can only sign to one team, we have a draft in the off-season then run a squad through the year in a draft league.

I was thinking somewhere between 12 and 24 but without going over the numbers (which I can't as I'm at work at the minute) I don't know how it'd work.

robdaykin wrote:

Just looking over my spreadsheet, and after an encouraging start, there's a huge hole with the early classics where I just have one or two riders entered per race. Seems like not many of the guys I picked for Classics are doing the early ones.

Then I hit Paris Nice, and Tireno and 22 out of 27 are in there.

Seems I may have misjudged how this part of the year works with the stage races and the one days. Having said that I've never really bothered with any races before April/May time, so it's all learning this year.

Next year, I think I need to review my balance of GC vs sprinters. Kittel, Cav and Appollonio aren't enough to cover the range of races and finishes. GC riders may be better for WT over the year, but my team goals are less aligned with WT points and more crowd pleasing ones and top 20 in GC doesn't float that many boats compared to a Sagan salute.

Maybe need to be haunting the u23 races and continental teams looking for the next fast gun.

For me this was the hardest part of picking my team, trying to get a balance between the classics, the sprints, the mountains and GC. I think I've done ok so far (thanks to some young GC stars) but I'm not sure I can sustain it through the year and I reckon I might have too many classics guys.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, no point trying to force the purist thing on it. Pick a team per classic making whatever changes you want in between.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Yeah, no point trying to force the purist thing on it. Pick a team per classic making whatever changes you want in between.

All good makes it easier in the spreadsheet as I can do a new tab for each race then

0 likes

One question, how are we doing the classics? Just each race individually?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

aw crap  20

I'm not entirely sure where I've pulled that from...

Better make it:

Roche
Westra
Kelderman
Quintana
Boonen
Bouhanni
Kittel
Tiernan-Locke
Barguil

then.

Actually, I'm not too upset because I actually really wanted Barguil in there.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here

He's listed on Cycling Fever and in the game.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Here

He's listed on Cycling Fever and in the game.

I mean being in your team, I don't see him on your blog or in the initial list of your riders you sent me, and he isn't in my spreadhseet

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got quite a strong squad for PN with 13 riders in total.

GC:
Roche, Westra, Kelderman, Quintana, Talansky

Sprinters:
Bouhanni, Kittel

Classics:
Boonen, Gilbert, Tiernan-Locke

Wildcards:
Barguil, Lutsenko, Cattaneo

So... my team will be:
Roche
Westra
Kelderman
Quintana
Talansky
Bouhanni
Kittel
Tiernan-Locke
Boonen

My quandary is over whether to pick Boonen or not. It's a toss up between him, Gilbert, Barguil and Lutsenko. Barguil/Lutsenko could do something interesting as neo-pro's whereas Boonen/Gilbert are getting ready for the classics. Boonen won a stage last year but I don't see him as being in the same form as last year...

Bah, Boonen it is.

Oh, and for TA I've currently got 9:

Cavendish, Demare, Sammy Sanchez, Jelle Vanendert, Cancellara, Vanmarcke, Nordhaug, Betancurt, Devolder.

Not nearly as strong but not terrible.

Pages

Latest Comments