Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fantasy Directeur Sportif Challenge

Not sure if you've seen it but in case you lot haven't, I've challenged TERatcliffe this year to pick a squad of riders and try and run a 'proper' fantasy team through the season.

We'll both be blogging about it through the year and the first posts are up (/blog).  Anyway, you lot are free to pick your own squads too and keep us all informed of how you're doing either on here or in the blog comments.  I've set up a league and if you've got any questions, let me know.

EDIT

If you want to take part the list of rider values you'll need is here http://db.tt/1rO7IFhq and check out my post here /content/blog/74271-big-unveil for rules etc.

RUNNING UPDATE:

World Tour Points - 1037 total / 851 based on top 5 riders

Fantasy points total: 2583

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

115 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also, on the automated draft you could specify a GC or PC cap so when you hit that limit on sprinters you ignore the top guy on your list if he's classified as a sprinter and move on to the next.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

My Paris-Nice is going ok so far, Bouhanni and Kittel hav picked up stages, Kelderman showed well in the prologue and both Westra and Quintana are looking strong. The only downside is my first major injury of the year losing Bouhanni.

My Tirreno-Adriatico team is:

Cavendish
Demare
Cancellara
Vanendert
Vanmarcke
Nordhaug
Sammy Sanchez
Andy Schleck

Looking strong with the leaders jersey after the TTT and a good chance of a result today. Overall though it's a much weaker team than my PN team with no real GC prospects in there.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Man, how could I forget such a superstar...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Man, how could I forget such a superstar...

He got you 1 point yesterday  3

My hero.

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

Paris Nice looking good. Stages from Talansky and Kittel, Izagirre got a podium. Other positives are consistent top 20s from Roche, usually in close formation with Sorenson (who I didn't shortlist).

Sadly de Gendt, Gutierrez and JTL have pulled out.

On a broader note, Iglinsky who I haven't shortlisted got a second and Fuglsang has pulled out. Voigt and Roy have both been in breaks, showing the team colours.

So all in all I'm happy. Talansky is developing nicely and van Garderen is looking solid rather than exceptional.

Tirreno has been as expected a bit of a let down. Ok Cav took the jersey in the TTT, but since then we have a problem, seems the guys aren't leading him out, instead some blokes from some O Meagre Farmer Blotto have been mucking about...  1

The other main positive so far is Dowsett. Excellent showing in the TTT and top 20 in a flat stage. Quite pleased with him. Roux has been in a break, showing the jersey, so he's doing the job I hired him for.

The big disappointment was Cancellara who seemed to be towing a load of dead weight round the TTT. In the form of Andy and the rest of Team Wireless House Cat's Road Trip who it seems he snagged on his rear mech and towed round the course.  3

Glad Andy finished Camaiore, but he looked unconvincing at Strada, and he needs to finish Tirreno. Just finish, anywhere in the field. Doesn't matter if he's 20 minutes down, just please finish a stage race.

Looking forward to pouching some WT points though, and hopefully doing some catchup.

Kittel may be redeeming himself, though there seems to be a dearth of top sprinters at Paris Nice. They all seem to be riding Tirreno. And Sagan... As DS I must talk to Cav again about his press conferences. Again.

Now I need to go and sort out JTL for the Classics. Really needed him to finish PN psychologically. Still top 10 at Amstel will make up for it.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

For Paris-Nice as far as WT points go Ive had a second from Gilbert and Iglinsky, a win from Kittel and two 5th places for Ulissi giving me 16 points, Just joping Ulissi can hang in for a top 10 finish and more WT points

As for Tirreno a win for Sagan and a 3rd for Greipel

Will do another blog to go up next weekend I think, so you can check out my team there

Again none of my neo-pros doing anything for me to write about. May do a piece on Kwiatowski, as he has been the best youngster show anything over these two races

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll write up a blog post once TA is finished but Paris-Nice has gone fairly well. Stage wins from Kittel and Bouhanni along with a strong showing from Keldermann in the prologue and an 8th overall from Westra mean that I'm happy but I haven't scored as many WT points as I would have liked.

I'll need to check but after Paris-Nice I think I'm on around 87, it leaves me 6th overall in the WT rankings sitting between Movistar and Radioshack but over 100 points behind Sky in first place.

If Sky win TA too with Froome then my aim of beating them looks to have gotten off to a bad start.

On the bright side, if we take 500 World Tour points as being the amount I need to get in order to avoid 'relegation' (15th place or higher at year end usually guarantees continuation of a license, last year 15th was Saxo on 401 but they under scored heavily so I expect it to be higher this year) then 87 from two and a bit races is strong and I shouldn't have too much trouble getting to 500.

0 likes

I have you on 83 WT points and me on 77. Will email you the spreadsheet after Tirreno anyway

0 likes

errrrm. I am reading the right page aren't I?

http://www.uciprotour.com/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.as...

That is the WT table so far? Because ignoring Iglinsky (4 points) I appear to have 192 WT points from TdU (30) and PN (162) with Talansky on his own worth 92. That puts me 2nd overall, 1 point behind Sky after 2 races, though after 3, nowhere near I suspect. Which b****rs up my assertion that I'd come last.

As for Fantasy 382 points only in PN, so waaaaaayyyyy behind.

TA I haven't been tracking Fantasy Points because it's a Premium competition and I'm using my girlfriend's account (tina's tourers) for this.

I'll look at WT points when UCI post them. Should be easy, I think it's just Cav for me unless Dowsett turns in a fantastic TT tomorrow. Assuming TTT points are awarded to individuals not to all members of the team, so Dowsett won't get WT points for Movistar being 2nd.

Have you noticed that the Fantasy DS league has quite a few teams on it... Of which 2 of us seem to be actively having a go at this.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'm not sure if the others are following the rules or if they just join any league going but its more fun as a forum exercise really, the league is just for keeping score.

I'm lacking someone who can win a race at this point. I'm beginning to think going Wiggins over Froome may backfire, I expected Froome to try and win everything but I thought Wiggins would have at least rode a decent race by now! Unless he wins the Giro and is very strong at the Tour I think Froome may be the better bet both fantasy and WT point wise.

Despite being crap at the fantasy classics they may be my saving grace having Boonen, Gilbert and Cancellara. Although the spectre of Peter Sagan is looming large  39

0 likes

I deliberately steered clear of Wiggins/Froome because I think other riders will sacrifice themselves to stop Sky winning, and both riders have weaknesses.

Contador has already tried riding off the front of the Sky train unsuccessfully so far, but I'm anticipating we will see lots of different tactics tried out to either disrupt, or use the train. I am concerned that Froome is tactically weak (see TA), where Wiggo's mountain time trial may not be able to contain an in form Contador in the high peaks. See Froome clearly being able to ride away from Wiggo on a couple of stages last year.

And whilst Contador and Sky are kicking each other about, van Garderen, Talansky, de Gendt, Roche and Fuglsang should all be sat waiting for an opportunity to pinch a stage or valuable seconds. Which is why I steered clear of Contador, Nibali, Valverde and JRod in favour of having 5 decent chances of a podium instead of 1, 2 or 3 pricier and maybe out of form potential winners.

As for Wiggo winning this year, I think Wiggo last year used the pre-Tour races to get a benchmark for where his and the team training level had reached. I don't think any of the races before the Tour were important to the team to win as races, just as practise for the Tour. That is not to say Wiggo is not proud of winning them, nor to say Sky disrespect those races in any way, but if they had not won them all I don't think they'd have been crying too many tears. This year the Giro is earlier in the year, they have good reference data on Wiggo's fitness and Froome's. The team tactics are proven and are being rolled out to the newer riders, and there seems little need to show their hand before the Giro. And with Porte winning PN, that sends another message.... This guy is a DS in our Grand Tour lineup. Imagine the team leader, and fear us  1 Which may well provoke the kind of reaction I'm betting my season on.

Purely on WT points though Wiggo is going to be worth maybe 3-400 on his own, regardless of win or podium or top 10 even.

All of which aside, didn't Talansky do brilliantly. Some real brave riding there. WIth a slightly different team around him to help more in the mountains he might have beaten Porte. Be interesting if he's racing California this year.

0 likes

As for the Classics... Cancellara, Iglinsky, JTL, Voigt, Dowsett, Rasch, maybe de Gendt could all feature for me, but I too have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of silly celebrations from Sagan. He looks in imperious form.

0 likes

Sudden daft thought. If Sky seriously want to win a Classic they should get Wiggo to ride as a DS in one of the Spring races.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sky specifically set out last year to win races with Wiggins to get him used to being the leader and all the post race stuff that a leader has to do (press conferences, drug tests, podiums etc). As a tour winner Wiggins doesn't need that this year but I guess Sky are doing the same trick with Froome, getting him used to leading races. That was to be expected and I think Froome will be looking to win more races like the Tour de Romandie or Dauphine ahead of the Tour de France. But I expect him to do absolutely nothing after that whereas Wiggins may have a crack at the Worlds TT or the team TT.

I expect Wiggins to try and hit some form before the Giro, possibly at the Catalunya/Pais Vasco/Romandie but we'll see. It really may come down to how well he does in the Tour to see how many points he brings in and whether he was worth it over a Contador/Rodriguez.

What I'm most curious about is which big hitters will be going to the Vuelta? Most of the proper out and out GC contenders are down for the Giro or TdF and I'm not sure how many, other than perhaps Nibali, will look to ride the Vuelta.

0 likes

So after TA, 5 WT from Cav, 1 from Cancellara, which I drop, taking the 5 highest scorers leaving me 197 as a team, keeping me in second, but well behind Sky now, but still ahead of Bianco.

0 likes

Milan San Remo:
Cav, Canc, Gorka, Maxim Iglinsky, Thor, Roux, Rasch, Schar and Appollonio.

Should hopefully get a podium, but Sagan is going to have to puncture to lose methinks.

0 likes

I didn't figure the Vuelta at all in my team selection. I've probably got riders who will be there in Astarloza, Gutierrez and Izaguirre. I didn't even really bother about the Giro specifically, though I'm guessing half my GC roster will do the Giro, the other half the Tour. Particularly with the reversal of the race formats with the Giro being more TT friendly, and the Tour toughening up.

The Vuelta will also attract climbers looking for WT points from stage wins like Martin and Roche maybe. And perhaps a GT sprinter looking to avoid Cav, Degenkolb, Greipel and Sagan, so it might suit Kittel to go there.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

UPDATE: http://road.cc/content/blog/78612-season-proper

Blog update is up and my MSR team pretty much picks itself:

Cancellara
Boonen
Gilbert
Cavendish
Demare
Nordhaug

that's it, only 6 of my guys are racing, but they cover a few scenarios so fingers crossed I can do something.

My team for Catalunya isn't finalised as the start lists are being particularly flaky but it looks something like this:

Wiggins (hurrah!)
Quintana
Roche
Betancurt

Not the strongest squad but the potential for three top 10 finishers. Hopefully it'll be low on fantasy points, high on World Tour points.

0 likes

Im gonna do my blog today whilst the race is on, just haven't had the time this week to get it done

Sagan
Voeckler
Gilbert
Degenkolb
Gerrans
Greipel
Iglinsky
Gatto
Ullisi

Thats me for today and for Catalunya I have just 2 at the moment

Bewley and Gerrans

I also have Kreder down for you Drheaton

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

With Sagan in your team you may as well wait until MSR is done for your blog. I just wanted to get mine out before Catalunya starts and I was up early anyway.

Hoping Catalunya helps me pick up some ground on you as Contador's points have left me well behind after TA. Westra and Roche haven't performed as I'd hoped either so I'm struggling a little.

0 likes

Righto ok.

Also we need to do teams for E3 Prijs as its WT, I have 7 riders for you and 6 for me, so they should pick themselves anyway

0 likes

E3 Prijs:

Hushovd, Schar, Cancellara, Rasch, Appollonio, M Iglinsky, Cattaneo, Dowsett,

Depends on the weather, but I have no great hopes despite a long list of good riders.

I know we're not doing the Criterium International, but I've high hopes for that with TJ, Roy, Roux, JTL, Voigt, Schleck, Xandio, Riblon and Talansky riding which to me looks like a really strong line up. Should also see how TJ and Cadel are getting on, which is a major influencer on my TdF team leader decision. Let's see some fireworks  19

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I cant remember, are we doing E3-Harelbeke? I'm kinda hoping so as Cancellara is smashing it  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hurray!

0 likes

At least I will get 6 WT points from this race, as its been terrible so far, thankyou Gerrans

0 likes

I need your team for Gent Drheaton as you have a choice of at least 10 riders I think

I have 7, Sagan, Gilbert, Degenkolb, Demare, Iglinsky, Nizzolo and Greipel

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm,

Cavendish
Boonen
Cancellara
Gilbert
Vanmarcke
Demare
Devolder
Cattaneo
Van Rensburg

With Westra as my none rider.

0 likes

which presumably fits in the 150 points, hence dropping Westra rather than say van Rensburg?

Speaking of which are we using the 150 points limit? I've only been taking it into account on the non premium races where I'm setting up on the girlfriend's account, I haven't bothered adding up otherwise. It did affect PN since that was why I dropped Iglinsky.

And are we doing the Classics purist? I.e. whoever we pick today limits who we have in Tour of Flanders and Roubaix?

0 likes

Fine. The 150 would have meant you dropping 1 or 2 riders today, which is not exactly fair, given you only have 7 anyway. Albeit possibly 7 of the top 10.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I dropped Westra as I don't see him doing much today and Van Rensburg might sprint if Degenkolb isn't there (or get 5 pts for a Degenkolb win).

Pages

Latest Comments