Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo is eating my tyres

With all this snow I have been mostly riding a turbo in my garage. After each ride I have a pile of rubber particles (about 1mm in size) on the floor behind the bike. It's a TACX magnetic trainer (usual friction drive setup) - is this a sign of too much/too little tension, tyre pressure, worn turbo or just one of those things that happens with a turbo?

ta

Jimmo

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's why I set my BB up on a tree stump and freewheel it hardcord

giff77 replied to badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes
badkneestom wrote:

That's why I set my BB up on a tree stump and freewheel it hardcord

24  24  24 Pure class.

mbr4dy | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 the Continental Turbo tyre...there is barely a whisper, whereas normal tyres are extremely noisy I find

toetruck | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for old tyres. Cheapest and best option, but if you want to take to the road too, you'd need to have a second rear wheel so as not to be on the road with garbage tyres. If it helps, I use an Elite Chrono Fluid turbo and Specialized Armadillo tyre... there is always a small amount of rubber dust when I fit a brand new tyre, but that stops after a couple of sessions. After that, there is no noticeable wear at all on the tyre. I don't know if it's the roller compound or the tyre compound or a combination, but I've used the same tyre on the turbo for two years and it looks like a new one.

Fringe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheap option is to use your old tyres. Or head down to your LBS, if there anything like mine, they will have a box of old tyres that can be had for a few quid.

adambird | 11 years ago
0 likes

Would definitely +1 the Continental Turbo tyre. Those things are bomb-proof, mine seems to be lasting a lifetime

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Minoura rim one and love it. No wear to anything much.

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simple answer yes, in my expirence, as you have more weight over the rear wheel, as on the road, it wears out quicker so it should work.

MickeyBlueEyes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do turbo specific tyres work as they should on rollers too ? If so would just one on the rear suffice ?

KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get a rim drive one? Loads quieter, no tyre/mess issues. Had a Magura one a while back, worked very well once set up. Anyone know of any downside to them?

Gkam84 replied to KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:

Get a rim drive one? Loads quieter, no tyre/mess issues. Had a Magura one a while back, worked very well once set up. Anyone know of any downside to them?

Yeah, they won't run on disc brake rims  19

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed proper turbo tyres last much longer than your normal road ones.

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

Turbos will shred a normal road tyre.

I bought the cheapest 10 spd wheel I could find, a cheap 10-spd cassette and a Continental turbo tyre, which works fine.

Latest Comments