Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy or TCR?? Help

Hi all

I am new to this forum/ site so sorry if I have started this topic in the wrong place.

After a little research I decided to buy a New Giant Defy 1 2013 from the local Giant store. However......I have just seen a Giant TCR 2 Composite 2012 for £300 more.

I am still fairly new to road cycling and have heard mixed opinions about Aluminium VS lower end carbon. The components on both bikes are similar as are the weight although the TCR has Ultegra rear derailleur.

Could anyone help me decide??

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

hugocm13 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you're going to use it for racing get the TCR, the geometry is mor racy with a short head tube and high saddle + aero bodywork on the back. It also has a standard chainset which would benefit flat, short rides or an incredibly good cyclist, the rear cassette also benefits this style as it is an 11-25, not made for hill climbing at all. Personally i also think that the TCR looks better bodywork and paintwork.

The Defy is more suited to longer casual rides due to the tall head tube for a more upright position and the flexable carbon around the rear for more comfort. It has a compact chainset more suited to climbing or a new cyclist who is finding their legs again the rear cassette matches this setup thanks to the 11-28 a great range for all round cyclists. I feel that the Defy is the less attractive bike, the slightly bendy carbon will reduce power transfer and sap your power and the lack of aero bodywork will give the TCR an advantage in a tri as you are not allowed to slipstream.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

They are both terrific bikes. Not much difference in geometry between these two and I doubt the carbon will be that much better than premium quality aluminium. Having said that, Giant's 'lower end' carbon is better than most, they are a massive company with huge R&D and a world leader in manufacturing bike frames.

Upgrade to rear derailleur is a popular way of making a model appear to be a higher spec and is pretty irrelevant.

Visit a shop, have a chat and a sit. I'm sure it won't take you long to decide  1

Dorrica | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's usually my problem!!

Even though I will be using for Tri's and training rides my instinct is telling me to go for the Defy 1. Mainly because I have seen in my LBS, and because of the great reviews it has received. If the Carb/ Alu bit is secondary then that sort of cures my curiosity.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get the more expensive one ALWAYS!  19

gillerz960 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The TCR frame geometry is aimed more at racing, whilst the Defy is aimed at sportives, to be more comfortable but in more upright and therefore less aerodynamic position.

So it depends if you want speed or comfort really, the carbon/alu debate is secondary.

Mountainboy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Things like rear mechs are often upgraded to appeal.

Frame is everything, fit and feel. Both the Defy & TCR are well reviewed, what's your gut instinct?

I was looking to buy a Defy and walked out with a TCR Advanced, I love it. But I'd probably have loved the Defy too, and I might have ridden it more than I do the TCR.

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fit is above everything else - depending which bike feels better, go for that one.

Latest Comments