Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training Bike vs Racer

Hi,

Just having a think about putting together a winter bike. Atm I've got a Cannondale CAAD8. I raced on it last season with an upgraded wheel set and I've just changed the crankset to a double, & other bits and was thinking of buying a Kinesis winter frame and putting all my replaced parts on it for a winter ride.

But is my Cannondale alu frame any better than the Kinesis T2 winter frame? I really like the way it handles feels and accelerates but i wonder if i'm missing out on some thing. Should I actually buy a race frame and turn the Cannondale into the winter bike?

And if so any suggestions on a race frame? Had a look at Racelight KR510 & like the look & price of it.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

sam_bennett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aye i'm a student too, although it's my PhD. Apparently i can claim cycle to work so I think that may well be used here  3

Liam Cahill | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am in a similar predicament with the added financial bonus of being a student! I've decided to used my Giant SCR 2.0 as a winter bike and invest around £2300 for the new Ribble R872. Great bike and for that money you get 105 and Cosmic Carbone wheels. I'll be pulling alot of pints to cover it but it looks awesome  1

sam_bennett | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had a look at the article and i agree that alu is very possibly the best option for an amateur like myself. It wont break the bank and apparently (although i don't have first hand experience of this) it's less prone to breaking like carbon fibre in a pile up.

So depending on how the season goes and such i think the t2 could be the best option for what i need. Although i do always keep an eye out for a classic reynolds or columbus frame, they seem to turn up in strange places.

I do like the idea of a fixie but i live in sheffield and that aint conducive. With the hills or tram lines.

Having said all that I may just start saving for a "best" bike, either way when winter comes i will have a solution!

Cheers guys

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go old school and get a steel fixed wheel.  4

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely anything will do for a training bike? Indeed, an old steel racer would work well…

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

IMHO the differences are smaller than the marketing bods would have you believe but you won't really know the answer without riding the other bikes.

If you have your eye on a nice bike as your 'best' bike (another Cannondale, I'd venture) then why not? Otherwise get a T2, fit some mudguards and just ride it knowing your Cannondale will be ready for when the weather improves.

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have a read of the article on here with Dom from Kinesis. The T2 is a 'Race'lite frame and therefore has race bike geometry. I've got one and it doesn't feel like a audax bike or one designed specifically for sportives say. Conversely, its not as rigid as some alu frames. The benefit over the CAAD is the ability to put proper mudguards on (and a rack if the fancy takes you). It's just a nice bike.

Latest Comments