Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What wheelset??

Hi, I'm looking to get a new set of wheels for my Specialized Roubaix Road Bike. The current wheels on are mavic open pro rims and unknown hubs. They have no markings on whatsoever.

The wheelsets I have been looking at are the mavic aksium, shimano RS20, shimano RS30, fulcrum 7, campagnolo khamsin and also mavic open pro rims with shimano 105 hubset.

I'm 74kg and use my bike to commute and also training around the saddleworth area and doing the odd sportif. Approx 75-150 miles per week.

I am so unsure as to what is best and to suit.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ksyriums are solid as a rock and light for the ££ or American Classic 420s are brill at everything!!

If you want something rapid Cosmic SLs.

hugocm13 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lighteight Meilenstein Obermayer FTW!!!!  19

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

What's up with your current set? Sounds like you're just replacing like for like, ie bomb proof winter wheels with bomb proof winter wheels. Why not save up a bit and get something a bit more appreciable for your spring to Autumn riding?

MickeyBlueEyes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've commuted on Fulcrum 7's since Sept 2010, doing similar miles to you, and never had any issues on them. They roll well and never gone out of true. Can't see me swapping them in the near future.

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've used Aksiums and Fulcrum racing 7's including the CX version on my wet weather bike. No problems with hubs, easy to replace cartridge bearings should you get any problems in this area. 1 rear Aksium went out of true fairly frequently but was easy enough to straighten. Personaly I prefer the Fulcrums, I also have a set of racing 3's on another bike.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

For a bike that's going to do some decent mileage I'd suggest the Open Pro build. I like the RS10s and RS20s I've ridden on, but 16 front and 20 rear is a particularly low spoke count. I've also read of people waiting weeks for a replacement spoke. Wheelsmith, Strada, Harry Rowland and probably a bunch of other people would sort you out with something suitable.

andybnk | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have been using campagnolo khamsin's for about 18 months now, they are my winter wheels, pretty solid and reliable still run true after a fair amount of abuse, and bearings still great. My only criticism would be they can be hard to get a tyre on/off, doesn't seem to matter what tyre either, although currently running conti gatorskins. My other wheels are mavics which I love dearly but never tried the aksiums.

ped | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've been really happy with the wheels Strada built for me: Velocity rims, Ambrosio hubs, Sapim spokes. They suggested a wheelset based on my budget, my riding requirements, and my err … 'size'. http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

I know that factory wheels are getting better all the time, but IMHO there's something nice about getting something handbuilt.

(I've no affiliation with them by the way)

the_mikey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can only comment on my experience with (2010 standard model not CX) fulcrum racing 7's, they have been utterly reliable and tough, not the lightest wheels but have given me many thousands of miles of reliable service without needing any attention. They've bounced in and out of potholes, over rocks, bricks, kerbs, even across Ilkley Moor in Yorkshire.

I've just bought another set of these for my mum, I think they're that reliable.

arrieredupeleton replied to the_mikey | 11 years ago
0 likes
the_mikey wrote:

I can only comment on my experience with (2010 standard model not CX) fulcrum racing 7's, they have been utterly reliable and tough, not the lightest wheels but have given me many thousands of miles of reliable service without needing any attention. They've bounced in and out of potholes, over rocks, bricks, kerbs, even across Ilkley Moor in Yorkshire.

I've just bought another set of these for my mum, I think they're that reliable.

What does your mum ride? Cyclo-cross or spring classics like Roubaix?  3

Latest Comments