TdF 2014 route into London

by alotronic   January 16, 2013  

Don't think this is secret - forgive me if this had been posted before!

London route attached - a tour of NE London finishing... well you can guess where it finishes...

http://allenoleary.co.uk/london-tdf-finish-2014.jpg

A

11 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Why, when Yorkshire wins the right to stage the Grand Depart, does London automatically assume that it has to have a stage ? Really f**ks me off. Let us in the north enjoy what we have earned without wanting to steal some of the glory. Angry Angry

Stumpy

posted by stumps [2062 posts]
16th January 2013 - 16:02

like this
Like (0)

I suspect ASO was largely behind this.

Yorkshire's initial bid was entirely within the region and would probably have needed a rest day immediately afterwards, just four days into the race.

The Scottish bid would have taken the race to other parts of the UK, finishing with a stage within striking distance of the Channel Ports.

That bid, in its final form, would have had the edge over the original Yorkshire bid, and it's likely it was suggested to them that bringing in a stage further south with a finish in London, and no need for a rest day before the race resumed in France, would swing it.

London's the obvious candidate, has shown it can host a stage finish and could get everything in place with the minimum of trouble, and has the transport links.

Just my view, but I think there's more to it than a simple case of gatecrashing.

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [6969 posts]
16th January 2013 - 16:14

like this
Like (0)

I thought you were a Mackem Stumpy? My Dad was from the Northeast and he considered people from Yorkshire to be poncy Southerners.

posted by The Rumpo Kid [590 posts]
16th January 2013 - 16:24

like this
Like (0)

The Rumpo Kid wrote:
I thought you were a Mackem Stumpy? My Dad was from the Northeast and he considered people from Yorkshire to be poncy Southerners.

Remonds me of the scene in Cinema Paradiso (set in Sicily) where the guy from Naples wins the lottery and someone says 'Damn northerners have all the luck'

Smile

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [6969 posts]
16th January 2013 - 16:33

like this
Like (0)

@stumps

Oh, I'm representing London now? Well I live here, and someone I know who works in Lewisham got this picture through and I guess I thought it was interesting. If I had a whole bunch including Yorkshire I would have put them up too. No disrespect intended.

But sadly your view is wasted as I'm an ignorant kiwi and your strange north-south thing means nothing to me. Ah well...

alotronic's picture

posted by alotronic [223 posts]
16th January 2013 - 17:00

like this
Like (0)

alotronic wrote:
@stumps

Oh, I'm representing London now? Well I live here, and someone I know who works in Lewisham got this picture through and I guess I thought it was interesting. If I had a whole bunch including Yorkshire I would have put them up too. No disrespect intended.

But sadly your view is wasted as I'm an ignorant kiwi and your strange north-south thing means nothing to me. Ah well...

You should hear what my mate in Auckland has to say about folk in Christchurch alotronic

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [844 posts]
16th January 2013 - 17:07

like this
Like (0)

The Rumpo Kid wrote:
I thought you were a Mackem Stumpy? My Dad was from the Northeast and he considered people from Yorkshire to be poncy Southerners.

My god a Mackem, I nearly fell of my chair. I'm a Geordie through and through and consider sunderland as a boil on a certain part of your body !!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

What i meant was that after the Olympics and the ToB always finishing in london its only fair we in the north get to see a bit more without having to travel any sort of distance.

No disrespect meant to anyone from London its the powers that be who decide. Personally the Scottish bid seemed to be better but the decision is made now.

As for the rest day scenario - a flight to London from up here is around an hour not exactly a lot more time added to a journey for the riders than flying to France from london ?

Stumpy

posted by stumps [2062 posts]
16th January 2013 - 18:51

like this
Like (0)

Stumpy,
I apologise unreservedly for "Mackem" (Dunno where I got it, I think I recall comments on Sunderland Football Club).
As I'm sure we're all aware, it's about money. Better some of the TdF in Yorkshire and a stage finish in London than it not coming at all. It is, I'll agree, a tough blow for Yorkshire, but luckily they're not the sort of people to carp on about the hardships they've faced.

posted by The Rumpo Kid [590 posts]
16th January 2013 - 19:18

like this
Like (0)

So the stage IS going to start in Cambridge then? Cool. Just goes to show my theory is correct - if you sit on your arse and wait for something for long enough, it will come to you. There's a lesson for the kids.

posted by Thecambridgerocket [6 posts]
16th January 2013 - 22:18

like this
Like (0)

Get real stumpy. Do you really think Yorkshire would have got a look in at all, without the glamour of London to cap things off.
Stop being a bitter twit and be grateful of what you've got, with the added bonus of an additional day in the worlds greatest city.
Being the worlds most popular tourist destination, I would suggest, come down, try, you'll like it.
Smile Cool Smile
p.s. me thinks two smiley faces and a cool(London) face trumps two angry faces. Good will always overcome evil.

Ian of Woodford

winprint's picture

posted by winprint [119 posts]
18th January 2013 - 9:25

like this
Like (0)

winprint wrote:
Get real stumpy. Do you really think Yorkshire would have got a look in at all, without the glamour of London to cap things off.
Stop being a bitter twit and be grateful of what you've got, with the added bonus of an additional day in the worlds greatest city.
Being the worlds most popular tourist destination, I would suggest, come down, try, you'll like it.
Smile Cool Smile
p.s. me thinks two smiley faces and a cool(London) face trumps two angry faces. Good will always overcome evil.

I have been there, i was down during the riots protecting your sorry backsides when you lot obviously couldnt, and frankly i've been to hundreds more pleasing places. The arrogance of londoners knows no bounds as you just proved.

Stumpy

posted by stumps [2062 posts]
18th January 2013 - 14:24

like this
Like (0)