Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chamois leather vs foam padding.

I've just received a vintage skinsuit I bought off ebay. It is exactly what I wanted except it has a Chamois leather pad. I have never ridden with this type of padding. I have had plenty of other shorts with a foam padding and some of them have seen better days so I wear them to commute; my newer shorts are saved for the weekend when I am doing +50km.

It is a bit too cold to be wearing my new old suit on its own yet so I wondered whether it is going to feel 'hard' on the back side over a long ride if I am used to foam pads?

It would not be impossible to replace with a foam pad but that would be a lot of fuss.
I've heard they also need to be 'fed' although this one is very flexible.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Zinno | 11 years ago
0 likes

Their are no virtues, shammy takes too long to dry, will shrink if you don't dry it slowly and has no padding. I would take it out and replace it.

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

'Get your skinsuit on' - now I've got a cycling mash up of The Vaccines 'Wetsuit' going in my head.

Sorry I've not got a turbo trainer and it is -1C outside so my motivation is not high.

Anyone got anything to say about the virtues of shammys?

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get your skinsuit on and go out for a ride/use the turbo trainer.

Wear a jacket on top to keep your upper body warm.

Baxter replied to spongebob | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd personally take it out and replace with foam padding.

Latest Comments