Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sram Apex upgrade to Red advice needed

Hi,

Currently my groupset is Apex compact set 50/34T 110 165mm crankset gxp , 11-32 PG1050 cassette n Apex FD/RD

Do I need any specific request for my Red Sram 2013 5 pc groupset plus I'm planning to use Qrings n 3d crankset

One of the dealer email this info

Rotor 3D Compact 165mm Crank Set, 110 BCD
Rotor Q Rings Compact Set 50t/34t, 110 BCD

Sram Bottom Bracket GXP ( if you are using this bottom. Bracket with the rotor crankset then you will need a rotor bottom bracket as the SRAM GXP will not work with the rotor spindle. So this quote includes the rotor English bottom bracket)

============================

2013 Sram Red Yaw Front Derailleur

2013 Sram Red Aero Glide Rear Derailleur

2013 Sram Red XG 1090 Powerdome Cassette (what ratio to get?)

2013 Sram Red Ergo Shifters

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Jason.wellington | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget that you will need to get the WiFli rear deraillure if you want to use a cassette larger than 28T. Personally I run an 11-28 with compacts in Red and I can get up 15% + gradients and I am definitely not the strongest rider in the world. The 11-32 will allow you to spin a bit faster up the hills but you will increase the spacing between gears. This may make it a little harder to get the right gear sometimes. It is really a personal preference in the way you wan to ride. There is nothing wrong with using a 32T cassette if that works better for you.

nappe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you have especially short legs? 165mm cranks are quite short. Don't go bigger than a 28 on the back, 32 is for mtb...

Udinese replied to nappe | 11 years ago
0 likes
nappe wrote:

Do you have especially short legs? 165mm cranks are quite short. Don't go bigger than a 28 on the back, 32 is for mtb...

Leg inseam is 29"

boardmanrider | 11 years ago
0 likes

As for BB, you can use any Shimano type that has a 24mm axel. I'm using a Hope bb with regular bearings.

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's quite a jump in price and performance. Given the weight you'd save in upgrading, I reckon an 11-28 cassette would do you for all but the steepest of steep hills (34 x 28). For the price of a BB I'm with Jimmo62 - get a new one.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you are replacing the groupset you may as well replace the bottom bracket at the same time so just but the appropriate bottom bracket for the crankset you decide on....

Cassette depends on your fitness, strength and the sort of riding you do. If you need the 32 rear at the moment then get it on the new cassette as well!

Latest Comments