Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Steven De Jongh

Just seen this on Sky Sports website from the 11th. Dont know if its been on already.

Steven de Jongh has joined Team Saxo-Tinkoff as a sports director, the Danish squad have confirmed.

The 39-year-old Dutchman ended a three-year stint with Team Sky last October after the British squad reiterated their zero-tolerance policy to doping and he admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs during his racing career.

Now, De Jongh has been employed by Bjarne Riis, the owner of Team Saxo-Tinkoff, which features multiple Grand Tour champion Alberto Contador, former Team Sky rider Michael Rogers and Irishman Nicolas Roche in its ranks.

De Jongh said: "After I left Team Sky, I simply didn't know what the future would hold for me.

"But in early January I had some conversations with Bjarne and the team, and this developed into a job offer and a fantastic opportunity for me personally.

"I'm really looking forward to start this new chapter of my career as a sport director and I am grateful for the confidence the team has shown me."

Riis said: "I have heard a lot of good things about him as a sport director and he brings a solid amount of experience to our team.

"So I'm happy to welcome Steven on board and to start working with him."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What annoys me about this is that de Jongh would have got a pay off for leaving Sky and has found a new job almost immediately meaning he is still earning from his past cheating.

Simon E replied to NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes
NeilG83 wrote:

What annoys me about this is that de Jongh would have got a pay off for leaving Sky and has found a new job almost immediately meaning he is still earning from his past cheating.

Did he get a payout? I understand your beef but I'd suggest that his value as a DS is certainly not because he doped during his career. I'm sure he was valued at Sky regardless of his past.

It's very easy for us to sit here in judgement. Perhaps he can be a good influence on riders at Saxo Bank (and let's face it, that team's image would really benefit from some genuine anti-doping rhetoric!).

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

With Riis, Contador and Rogers with him it should be a happy family  13

Latest Comments