Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X - SAB frames?

Anyone got any experiences of these frame? I fancy a road frame cheap and these fit the bill. I suppose they couldn't be any worse than, say, a Halfords Carrera and stripped and painted those work as well as many big name stuff.
Your thoughts please.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

And they've just announced some cracking price reductions.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2013/02/05/save-67-...

nappe | 11 years ago
0 likes

My daughter has one, 44cm in red with the standard £1000 spec build. It's a good looking frame with nifty'power bulges on the seat stays, I can't comment on the ride as it is way too small for me, but it sprints and climbs well enough for her. She has been able to keep up with her mother on the climbs, which she was struggling to do on her alu Monoc. And I led our club out on a 3 mile sprint at a very hard pace, where again the stiffness of the frame helped her keep up at number 2 in the line.

It seems comfortable enough, no major fatigue problems, but then, she is coming from an older bike to this. Planet X made a good job of the build and overall I'm quite impressed, especially for the money.

Good quality budget frame with a large bottom bracket area, sculpted chainstays, seatstays a short headtube and clearance for 25mm tyres.

ta51ora replied to nappe | 11 years ago
0 likes

I built a 44cm SAB Alicudi frame up last month for my 9-yr-old racer son and he's just started riding it now the cyclocross season has finished. It replaced a 40cm Kinesis KR210L youth / ladies road frame (aluminium / carbon forks).

I'd say it's an absolute bargain for the money, and with a mix of 105 / Tiagra and Planet X bits / AL30 wheels it's built up into a really nice light bike.

Alex said it climbs really well (I'm guessing it's stiffer than the Kinesis) but is also comfortable.

The only negative was that I had to take a Stanley knife to the dropouts to scrape off overspray.

mattsccm | 11 years ago
0 likes

Whta I meant was, what are the SAB frames like?

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

The SAB frames were inherited when they bought the rights to the company last year. I remember reading that they had sent a couple of staff to Italy(?) to sort out the stock that was in storage.

I too have an SL Pro frame and agree it's excellent, however, you can't judge the SAB frames in the same light as their excisting range.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got an SL Pro from Planet-X and it's great. Light, fairly stiff. Not sure you can get better for the money.

Latest Comments