Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Build or Buy?

Hi,

This is my first post but I’ve been a reader for quite some time.

This year I’m training in preparation for the Wiggle Dragon Ride in June and think it’s time to get a new bike ( I currently have a Caad 9)and so my question is do I build one or buy a new one?

I have a budget of around £2,000 - £2,500 and have seen this Cervelo frame and SRAM Red group set for £700 and £1,000 each. What would be the cost of adding the saddle, handle bar, wheels etc? Or is it best to go for a brand new bike?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/24290/sram-red-black-edition-groupset-2012/

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/frames_road/frames_cervelo/FR_CERVELO_S1...

Really love the idea of owning a Cervelo but open to other brands.

Would be great to get your thoughts on this and a bit of advice.

Thanks

Martin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

bikeleasingcompany | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

Perhaps you could consider leasing.

How does this suit you: http://www.bikeleasingcompany.com/road/racer/g6-8-1.html

We can also lease custom built bikes, or frame only.

It'll keep your costs down and we offer a price match promise.

We don't offer Cervelo unfortunately, but Argon 18 produce some awesome frames, as do Felt, Merckx, De Rosa and of course, BH Bikes.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just got SRAM Force as well. (Minus Cassette and Brakeset)

Going VERY cheap on Fudges Cycles atm.

TheHound | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in exactly the same situation OP.

I've been looking at Planet X and Canyon which seem to be high spec bikes at really good prices.

But I have also been looking into buying a frame from them and then adding a full Sram Force gruppo instead, which from all the reviews I've read say give next to Red performace for a bit less.

I'm pretty set on getting Sram Force, just stuck for the frame I want.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

17 I know, slightly worried.

I'm afraid that I'll rip the carbon layup when I put down my extreme power.

I've heard that people moving from S1's to Carbon frames had that problem a lot, and that they had to tone down their kicks. Too many frames were being destroyed by the 'Shire Horse like quads' that we have in the S1 camp.  19

hurns | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks so much for all the advice.

My Caad9 is quite old and has a Tiagra groupset on it, but I'm keen to keep it as is and use it for the commute and turbo.

Looking around there are some amazing deals to be had at the moment on both components and full bikes at the online retailers but agree I think the next best step is to visit my LBS (going to pop to Sigma Sport tomorrow).

I'm a 58 frame and really like the idea of picking all the parts and building something a bit unique and I'm a bit of a bike geek too so a spreadsheet sounds ideal.

Has anyone had experiences of bike jumble sales? Or is it best to buy new?

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also with gear and brake components you can get some great deals on ebay. Stuff that's got 300ks on it for half price of new. That's like a weeks worth of riding!!!

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cervelos are lovely but that's only an S1. For that budget you can get a really well specced Canyon. Have a look on their website.

Mind you I built my top bike and there is definitely a unique pleasure in setting up a workstand in your front room with a bare frame of your choice. Then cherry picking all of your favourite components and putting them on. I too was an uber geek and had an Excel spreadsheet with weights and prices of all the different bits. Then I weighed each part before assembly so I'd have a gram for gram outlay of my bike. There's always a few extra for grease mind you.

Raleigh replied to Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:

Cervelos are lovely but that's only an S1.

13  13  13  13  13  31  31  31  31

ONLY an S1?

Only a wind tunnel tested, pro peleton proven, baddas racing machine???

The S1 is the best Aluminium bike in the world. No exception.

Squiggle replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:
Squiggle wrote:

Cervelos are lovely but that's only an S1.

13  13  13  13  13  31  31  31  31

ONLY an S1?

Only a wind tunnel tested, pro peleton proven, baddas racing machine???

The S1 is the best Aluminium bike in the world. No exception.

LOL I originally wrote "...only an S1 (Sorry Raleigh!)" but thought that might be a tad confusing and that the OP might think I was trying to say that Cervelo were built by Raleigh!

I know that you and about half the posters on the Cervelo forum love their S1s but it's still the worst bike that Cervelo make! Once you get your VO2 you'll realise that carbon is so much better  3

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Classified link is your friend.

http://road.cc/content/forum/73046-fs-updatedchange-surprise-sale-one-he...

You will be VERY lucky to buy/build a higher spec'd machine than this puppy for the money - and within the budget too.
Kind Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Right, just had a quick scan. I don't know your size, so there are a mixture of things in here, 9 bikes. Not suggesting you should buy any of them or that any are better than others.

But it gives you things to think about regarding the specs.

A couple of Di2 bikes in there aswell  3

http://textsave.de/?p=154103

matthewn5 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I built up an ex-display Bianchi Infinito frame to a much higher spec than standard by using a bit of detective work and buying components from wherever they were cheapest (Germany and Italy mainly). Total cost was £1,860 instead of £2,900 and it has better/lighter wheels, bars, seat, seatpost, etc than the retail version.

I set up a spreadsheet for all the parts I needed and put in guesstimates then actual prices so I could keep track of the total cost and make sure I came in under my £2K budget.

I would hesitate to buy a new bike unless massively discounted (at least 35%). And if you build/assemble your own, you will have something that is really unique and personal.

02curtisb | 11 years ago
0 likes

I recently built up a planet X carbon frame after my bike was stolen. I found that for £1500 i got more bike than i would of in a shop (although my budget only included some fairly "rugged" wheels). It was however great fun to build and i now feel i don't need my LBS for maintenance.

My advice would be: Be open to both options and decide what really matters to you. As Marauder says, there may be a bargain, or there may be a bargain on a frame/gruppo!

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

That is a good healthy budget for a bike.
There will be loads of deals at the bike shops/online of 2012 stock they want rid of which is where I would be tempted to look rather than build.

I know this is over your budget but thought I would post a link of an email I got today for a Cervelo frame in case anyone else may be interested.

http://www.dooleys-cycles.co.uk/productinfo.asp?ProductID=2179

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What grouppo does your Caad9 have?

I just ask, because you are looking at what I think is the highest spec SRAM groupset. I may be wrong though.

So if you spec down a step maybe. Save a couple of hundred and that way you can fit room for a nice set of wheels and a finishing kit.

If you are spending £1700 on a frame and parts, you are going to want a decent set of wheels, so budget in £300 for that, then think about carbon or not for the bars.

You could quite easily spend your £2500, but bringing the spec of your groupset down one step, could take you nearer the £2000.

Have a hunt around all the big online retailers, Wiggle, Evans, J E James, Chain Reactions....etc

There are some bargins to be had on 2012 full bikes. Maybe pop into your LBS, they might have some decent 2012 bikes aswell, but not so heavily discounted at the online guys.

I'm having supper just now, but will have a look around for you  3

Latest Comments