Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do you wear a watch whilst cycling?

Just wondering what the done thing is. Should you wear a watch or not?

I personally don't because I find it a nuisance whilst getting changed into and out of kit. Also, if you fall off, it will probably get smashed.

What does everyone else do?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi All,
allthough it probably wouldn't be approved by the cycling 'fashion gurus', on my commuter (where knowing time is important to me) I have a stem captain. Had it for years now and as the names suggests it replaces your stem cap. Other than time changes due to summer/winter time I have never changed the battery and keeps cracking time.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/StemCAPtain-Clock-Black-Base-Headset-Top-Cap-/...
There was a UK seller, but doesn't appear any more.
Good bit of kit though.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

KirinChris | 11 years ago
0 likes

My watch is cursed.

I like watches and have several for work and casual wear. Including an old but nice Citizen dive watch.

I've only worn it a handful of times on the bike - usually because I needed it for something else afterwards like swimming - and twice I have crashed with it, causing the bezel and glass to be scratched.

It's sitting upstairs now waiting for another visit to be repaired, and I swear this time I will never wear it, or any other watch, on the bike.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Conversely I wore my Polar HRM everywhere I went for 12 years, although I went through about 6 or 7 different models in that time. No I didn't wear the strap unless I was training!

Only just started wearing proper watches again in the last 6 years which I find quite a luxury. I don't wear a watch on the bike though although maybe I should as I have "done a Delgado".  9

I use a Garmin Forerunner 310XT on the bike and would probably wear it as a watch too if I didn't have to recharge it every couple of days.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant Stumps. I've the same watch and has taken a heap of abuse. Can't say it's been as colouful as you mind.

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Like others I don't wear a watch whilst cycling I'm out on the bike to enjoy the experience not worry about the time of day.

But if you do need to know it's 14:03 in the middle of your ride but your worried you might fall and break it you could just attach it to the bars (I used to do this with a hrm watch thingy)

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

"Just wondering what the done thing is."

There is no 'done thing', you make a choice.

Haven't worn a watch for about 25 years after mine was nicked from swimming pool changing room. Didn't really miss it after a few days - I'd got over the novelty of the chime on the hour and the stopwatch having 100ths of a second by then. I have clocks in the house, in the car and at work so don't need one. I really like not being reminded of the time or having a phone while riding. I don't understand why people want to be contactable 24 hours a day, instantly know the football scores or the weather in Cyprus.

The only occasion I find a timepiece useful is at when warming up for a time trial so I don't miss my start slot (AKA "doing a Delgado) so I have a small computer on my race bike.

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

those silicone band ones (Breo?) are quite good for cycling / sports, cheap, waterproof, pretty smash proof

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Timex indiglo. Had it for years and its seen me through numerous fights, chases and car crashes without losing a second. Its now battered and worn but still a great watch for £29.99p.

I wear it all the time when out and about on my bike.

notfastenough replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Timex indiglo. Had it for years and its seen me through numerous fights, chases and car crashes without losing a second.

If we didn't all know what you do for a living, that comment would be quite worrying!  4

Book 'em Danno.

Stumps replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
stumps wrote:

Timex indiglo. Had it for years and its seen me through numerous fights, chases and car crashes without losing a second.

If we didn't all know what you do for a living, that comment would be quite worrying!  4

Book 'em Danno.

Who said i wear it for work  3  3

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I never have worn one when cycling, like a lot of other people, have the time on my Garmin.

Apart from anything else, doesn't it get mixed up in armwarmers?

Shifting must get annoying as well, if your watch slides too far down you arm and starts digging in.

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

Used to until I had an off and smashed it. Always leave the watch behind now.

Rob

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

No as they make my wrists sweaty and rub on the bars.
However I was out for a ride today and I had to estimate what the time was as I needed to be home so I could go to work.

Garmin Edge 200 annoyingly doesn't display the time when in Ride mode. I have already sent Garmin a suggestion to include in one of their updates. Don't think anything will come of it tho.

lazyusername | 11 years ago
0 likes

No. Although I have changed the settings on the Garmin so that all it displays is the time. It was taking the fun out of it for me constantly stat watching, cycling much more enjoyable at the mo

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't carry any form of time keeping while me at any time. I don't have a phone or watch.

NeilXDavis | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dont wear a watch period...time on my garmin and mobile...have a few dress watches for weddings etc...

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to wear one with a HRM but have changed to a GPS unit so don't have to anymore. Back to the question its a personal choice i don't know of anyone who would give you grief either way. The weight saving nuts might have something else to say on the matter though  3

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

I stopped wearing a watch because when riding I found that it jiggled around on my wrist, which was annoying.

And now that I have a cycle computer with GPS time, I don't need a watch.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't wear one when road riding but off-road I wear a Timex ironman.

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

For me a watch is a way to tell it's the weekend (can't wear one for work). So I tend to wear one then.

Casio do excellent simple digital ones, that aren't dinner plate sized. (Honestly, who suits thouse things? Bouncers?).

ALIHISGREAT replied to PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

For me a watch is a way to tell it's the weekend (can't wear one for work). So I tend to wear one then.

Casio do excellent simple digital ones, that aren't dinner plate sized. (Honestly, who suits thouse things? Bouncers?).

I've got one of the classic black Casio ones.. but they only suit a certain image if you're going to wear one day to day-> although obviously its fine if you're just wearing it for cycling... wouldn't wear one with arm warmers though... or when racing.

Leviathan replied to PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes
PJ McNally wrote:

What do you do? Stick you hand up cows backsides?

I still wear my watch to cycle. I don't have garmin/GPS but I do have a computer that times my forward motion but I have routes that go down gravel tracks that I have to deduct from my road time. And anyway I find it is a bit unfair when a light changes in front of me when I am going down hill at 40kph and have to pull up. Stop the clock and a little trim off the time to accelerate is still not as fast as an all green run.
Having a watch gives me just a bit more information about my efforts given I have to share the road with traffic. Also I don't have to touch the computer to check my time, just look at my wrist and keep the computer on average speed.

Latest Comments