Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Look Keo cleat lifting problem

Hi all,

After doing a lot more riding than usual this week (training camp on the Costa Blanca  16 ) I've stared having problems with one of my ankles and I've put it down to the fact that one of my cleats does not sit still in my pedals when riding but that it can lift up and down (the other one doesn't) . This isn't a problem with the cleat or the shoe but with the pedal (I've tried someone else's shoe in the pedal and it has the same problem). The pedals are Look Keo Classics and are less than a year old. I can't see any way to adjust the pedal to prevent this happening...

Has anyone heard of this happening or have any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

simonkenyon | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had a very similar problem with Look Keo Classics which, as a triathlete, caused me no end of grief and effectively put me out of competition for a year with achilles niggles. The Keo Classic platform, with slightly worn cleats, basically lets your foot roll (in the aeroplane sense - i.e. around an axis parallel to the direction of travel, as opposed to pitching around the pedal axle or yawing to unclip).

It was only when I realised I had a particularly sore ankle after riding one specific bike that I twigged that the problem might be pedal-related. My other bikes all had the Look Keo 2 which has a much wider platform and basically stops the side to side rolling, which your calf and ankle will otherwise battle against causing pain. Swapped the pedals for Keo 2 on my main training bike and have never looked back.

Worth noting that even on Keo 2s, worn cleats will eventually let your ankle roll. I would hazard a guess that this has become more of an issue since Look introduced the rubbery "grip" think on their cleats, they seem to last barely a couple of months before they're loose again

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Like I said its not a cleat wear issue. I've tried my shoe in someone else's pedal which was fine. And their shoe in my pedal had the same issue so its definitely the pedal. Its actually the foot I don't unclip anyway.

I've taken the pedals off to fly back home anyway now so I guess I'll see if that's helped when the weather lets me!

CycCoSi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you always unclip only one foot? I always unclip the right, as such my right Keo cleat wears MUCH faster, compare the thickness of the cleats. HTH

lazyusername | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had a similar problem was doing my nut it was a clicking or clunking mid stroke in my case. It might be worth taking the pedals out and re tightening them in the cranks, worked for me.

Latest Comments