Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Alternative Sports?

So you all obviously love cycling, but is anyone a sporting connoisseur?

What sports do you partake in other than the two wheeled type, whether it's football, tennis, or EVEN croquet (God forbid).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to play Rugby and Water Polo for my town in U18s,and I've also played tennis, squash and football throughout school but now all I do is Cycle. I'd like to get back into Rugby soon, I miss the aggression!  1
I now live in Devon so Surfing is more and more appealing!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do squash too. Good for flexibility and lunges as AliH mentions. It's an excellent high intensity workout if you have partners that are at the same level as you.

ALIHISGREAT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Squash -> Its incredibly fun and good for leg strength (all the lunging)

although in my case I tend to lunge mostly on my right leg.. which 'left' me with problems on the bike

BenMWilliamson replied to ALIHISGREAT | 11 years ago
0 likes
ALIHISGREAT wrote:

Squash -> Its incredibly fun and good for leg strength (all the lunging)

although in my case I tend to lunge mostly on my right leg.. which 'left' me with problems on the bike

Yeah my dad got me to try that when I was about 15 but my knees were agony after. That's why I cycle now, its the only sport i know which isn't painful

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Other than long walks and going to the gym, nothing!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can run a marathon in 3h 20m; next big objective is a top 3 in my class in a local half marathon (1500 runners). Can kayak competantly on rivers and coast, archery, shooting, I am too old for full contact martial arts these days.... hardly have time for work! I think being a 'sport tart' has kept fresh and 'at it' for decades. Will keep 'at it' until something big wears out, knees, hip or heart  31

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've veered between cycling and martial arts and back over the years. Currently I include a little martial arts in my gym workouts, but my problem is that I can't do anything just once or twice a week, because the long time it takes to improve frustrates me, so rather than be into both at the same time, I tend to favour one over the other.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

At the moment can't even cycle  2

I used to play loads of sport, just watch now. I like football, basketball and American football. The latter I coached as well as played years ago. Played those 3 sports plus cricket and did some running. That was all before getting hit by a car though. At that time I only really did mtbing but did watch road cycling.

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

i like watching kung fu films,and also love motorcycle racing (especially the tt).

BenMWilliamson replied to racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes
racefaceec90 wrote:

i like watching kung fu films,and also love motorcycle racing (especially the tt).

Ah the TT is incredible. You just have to love Guy Martin, what a lad.

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Kayaked in the Alps on some knarly white water. Landeck Gorge, Sanna, Lower Noce, Ubaye Race Course, and many more. I can tell you are impressed.

FYI paddled Scuol Gorge in Austria about 20km downstream of the Stelvio Pass on the border, so I am having half a point for that.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to play football, rugby, field hockey for local teams and clubs. Haven't done that for many year and can't do any of that anymore.

I still throw some arrows in my bedroom at a dart board and have been known to waste a good walk round a course by whacking a ball, but not in a while. Still managed to keep my handicap are 7 at the start of this year. But I think dreams of getting under 5 again will have to fade.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cake eating.

you may laugh and think it's easy but no, if you practice every day you can get REALLY good at it!

Not interested in any other sports except MotoGP and the Isle of Man TT.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to play most sports on a social level when I was at uni. Now i guess its just the odd round of golf, and I play darts if thats counts.

Im able to play most sports, I just dont really excel at any to take anything up on a competitive level

captain_slog | 11 years ago
0 likes

I read somewhere that everyone who's upset that cycling's now popular is going to take up fencing instead.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Isn't there a rule that you are only allowed to do Speed Skating?

_

Anyway, I play Hockey at school (1sts  4 ) and Sail during the Summer in a Laser 4.7.

What's so bad about croquet?

BenMWilliamson replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Isn't there a rule that you are only allowed to do Speed Skating?

_

Anyway, I play Hockey at school (1sts  4 ) and Sail during the Summer in a Laser 4.7.

What's so bad about croquet?

Love hockey! I play for Bath Buccs U18 and school 1sts too!

Ah croquet... my grandad did competitions and that and the whole family went to watch. me and my cousins ended up playing 'tag' on the green and they got quite irritated. So not great memories I guess :p

Latest Comments