Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cav v Sir Chris

Who'd we think would win in a sprint finish between Sir Chris Hoy and Cav? With matched lead out trains say over a flat 2k course? Be interesting wouldn't it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

CraigS | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cyclist magazine this month has an article on cycling data:
Mark Cavendish peak sprint wattage: 1,580W
Chris Hoy peak recorded wattage: 2,200W

Three's no argument that Chris Hoy would win a straight sprint so any "level playing field" just means a course where Hoy gets dropped enough for Cavendish to have a head start. The decider would be the course and nothing to do with who is "better".

It's like comparing Contador to Cavendish, the deciding factor is how many hills you put in before the flamme rouge.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well they've both hammered Theo Bos in their respective disciplines.  39

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It would be something worth watching as a display race somewhere. But unless British cycling and Sky got together to sort it out. I can't ever see it happening

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Or have a trio of sprint disciplines:

Match Sprint
Bunch Sprint
Hilly Sprint

Now that would be worth paying for.

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

A race over 2km with a lead out train wouldn't be much different to a Keirin race would it? And that would play right in to Hoy's hands.

It's a bit like asking which would win a race: a Formula 1 car or a dragster? You can't level the playing field enough to find out.

Rob

BenMWilliamson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely Sir Chris would win, what with a greater top speed... And plus 2km isn't that far when you're being dragged along by a lead out train. Although Cav would win on anything longer than 20km I reckon.

Mr Mike | 11 years ago
0 likes

here's an idea, might the two gentlemen in question actually do it, for charity say?

my money would be on Hoy but not by much, Cav's acceleration is phenomenal from 45 but hoys power output and sprint brain should IMHO best him.

ryewheeler replied to Mr Mike | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to see it happen. How about over two laps of Silverstone? About 10k, a little bit of up and down, a bit twisty turney, long straight drag to the finish. Two teams of 6. Cav on the Venge, Sir Chris on one of his new bikes (might even things up a bit). As I say - interesting.

ryewheeler | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes I know - but what if we created as near as possible a level playing field. A short course - say 2k - not at the end of 100miles (Hoy's advantage). The benefit of a lead out train each (Cav's advantage). Would it be close?

BenMWilliamson replied to ryewheeler | 11 years ago
0 likes
ryewheeler wrote:

Yes I know - but what if we created as near as possible a level playing field. A short course - say 2k - not at the end of 100miles (Hoy's advantage). The benefit of a lead out train each (Cav's advantage). Would it be close?

The lead out train wouldn't necessarily be much of an advantage. Hoy is used to riding quickly in the slipstream of other riders, such as in the Team sprint where he is usually the last rider.
I think the use of road bikes would be in Cav's favour more-so

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

There is no comparing the pair, both different riders, even on the track, totally different.

But an all out sprint, without a stage race involved, Hoy would wipe the floor.

musicalmarc | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hoy can push out much more power than Cav. However if the sprint was at the end of a 100m stage, Hoy wouldn't even be in the sprint finish. They are different types of rider.

Latest Comments