Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heated cycle paths?

Did anyone see this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20041522 The Dutch have plans to provide heated cycle lanes to keep them clear of ice  16 The heat being provided by geo-thermal energy. All part of plans to make/keep cycling an integral part of their transport policy. Hopefully it is not all hot air, or likely to go up in exotic smelling smoke  39 Have certainly enjoyed not feeling a sense of russian roulette on my way to and from work this winter when looking at the frosty roads....so far. But the wind and rain has been  2

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Tour Le Tour | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a great thing if it keeps people on bikes, but I do wonder if the money and energy couldn't be put to better use elsewhere. Personally I have just shelled out for some studded tyres, which I am hoping will keep me riding through the rest of the (german) winter!

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I'm curious too. I spent 3 months living in Holland, a very civilised country. I liked the bike paths, the people, Utrecht, Den Haag, Amsterdam, the beer and fritjes. Less of a fan of the flat flat bits, Eindhoven (where I stayed) and stomp pot.  1

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

The few things? Go on... dish the dirt. I have never been to Holland but have always held it in high esteem?

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

The cycling culture is one of the few things i miss about Holland....

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

You are right about cost of injury Dutchie; the full cost of injuries are quite staggering ambulance, delay to other road users, hospital services, time off work, damage to property... But people do not think like that in this country. Cycling to work, for me, is safe, reliable, healthy, a time efficient way to train (because I combine my commute with a training session)and more fun than driving (bearing in mind my job involves -a lot- of driving. But most of my colleagues think I am bonkers, particularly in poor weather. Money invested in cycling infrastructure is money well spent. But convincing the motoring majority it is worth a bent penny  39

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I grew up in the Netherlands and cycled 5 miles to school for 6 years, never missing a single day because of the conditions. People just keep cycling, at least they did when i was young. Then again, adults don't bounce as well as teenagers, so this might indeed save a lot of injuries and with that cost.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well the offroad one near us had a burnt out car on it the other day - does that count as heated?

SideBurn replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Well the offroad one near us had a burnt out car on it the other day - does that count as heated?

The British solution to the problem!!! Patent the idea.... Quick  19 This may be cheaper than the £30K per mile it would cost to install. But they could do my whole route to work for  39  39 £840,000... Bargain  13

Latest Comments