Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Frameset advice

We got burgled in October and I had a couple of my bikes taken - the commuter and the Sunday best. After much swearing and cursing the little sh*ts that did it I realised that this was actually a blessing in disguise as I'd get the insurance money and be able to build a couple of bikes to the spec I wanted.

The Sunday best is a Cervelo R5 that's just waiting for the BBRight/GXP adapter to arrive from the US (but that's another story) and then it'll be complete.

For the commuter/training bike, I managed to buy a DA/Ultegra gruppo + wheels from a friend and I was going to put them on a Genesis Equilibrium. I wandered into Evans (I know...) on 17 December and ordered my size. After a week of chasing they just called me to tell me that there's going to be a bit of a delay in it arriving. Current estimate is the 3rd....of April!

So now I need a plan B. I want a frameset that I can train on and commute on, doesn't weigh a metric ton, looks good and wont' cost the same as the R5. I'd also like to be able to put mudguards on it, so something with the eyes built in, ideally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

M

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Gromski | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice.

@Squiggle - thankfully the R5 didn't go in the burglary. It's the replacement for the Giant that did go and I just managed to get the frame half price in my size.

I came so very close to ordering the Dolan, and the Condor is a lovely looking bike, but on the end plumped for the De Rosa Milanino.

It's old school looks hooked me.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Condor Fratello. Comfortable, good looking, quick, will last forever.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh of course means the Dolan Dual not the Preffiso  3

As a fellow Cervelite I have to say if you've just had an R5 nicked you could always replace it with... an R5 vwd. Framesets still going half price assuming you can find one in your size.

Also for your mudguard/training bike you should look at the Kinesis TK3 although if I'd had the dosh I'd probably agree with Raleigh and get the Dolan Dual. Also I assume the wait will be less than for a Kinesis.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, nothing immediately springs to mind.

However, I just price matched Cycle Surgery today, on some 3T handlebars, and they were really nice. They stock Spesh frames, so you could try there.

Otherwise, just buy another Cervelo and stick racing guards on them.

Alternatively, Dolan Preffisio. (Carbon Winter Bike)

Latest Comments