Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Seat Post in Alloy Frame??

Hi, newbie here looking for some advice.

I have an alloy bike that I am using for commuting and winter training rides, and I also have a carbon road bike that is currently in hibernation.

I am looking at some upgrades primarily for the alloy bike. I had thought that I might get a carbon seat post and new saddle, the idea being that I could then swap the set post over when the better weather comes along.

However, I have came across a comment on anther site saying that carbon posts should not be used on alloy, due to corrosion and slippage.

Can anybody confirm that this is the case?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You could use the carbon fibre grip paste if the post slips, I assume that is what it is designed for.... I have used it in the past. However if you can get away without it seems that from the above posts the manufacturers prefer it.....

Lost faith in t... replied to jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

we use it on carbon posts in carbon frames but when its aluminium and carbon it sill tends to cause problems with the materials bonding together.

we normally get 2-3 customers a year who have used carbon paste/grease who ask us to try and remove there post for them but there is no chance.

they normally have to go to an engineering firm to get the post reamed out or try some home brew remedies of chemicals which normally make matters worse lol.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

added bonus of a carbon post in an alloy frame is "buzz"
reduction ...  1

Gman59c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Excellent news, thanks guys!!

I have just ordered a new Fizik Cyrano Carbon post and was looking forward to trying out this weekend.

All systems are go!!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not a problem - put some grease on the post to stop it from sticking if it's a very tight fit and don't clamp it too hard.

Lost faith in t... replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

Not a problem - put some grease on the post to stop it from sticking if it's a very tight fit and don't clamp it too hard.

DO NOT put grease on your carbon seatpost in an alloy frame. over time it expands the carbon which will then be near enough impossible to take out of your frame or adjust.

some companies say use carbon specific grease but i wouldnt use this eaither. you are better off no grease at all and setting it to the correct torque.

Copied from another site :
From Easton:
No grease on carbon posts. Grease contains certain minerals that can attack clear coats, can penetrate the resin matrix and could cause swelling of the composite laminate. Can you say "stuck seat post?" Don't use grease.
John G. Harrington
Vice president, bicycle products
Easton Sports, Inc.

From Campagnolo:
No grease. In some cases it can be dangerous to use grease as the chemical composition can cause a reaction between materials. Besides, it increases the torque required to clamp the post.
Richard Storino
Campagnolo USA

From Deda:
Absolutely no grease on carbon, ever. Also, do not use solvents to get old grease off, or to get old grease out of the seat tube. John Harrington of Easton and I believe that many solvent residues in the seat tube soften the gel coat of the carbon, then bond the gel coat to the inside of the seat tube, freezing the seat post in position for eternity.
Tom Franges
Deda Elementi North America tech support

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, got a Carbon 'mast (as I think I may start calling seatposts now) in my S1 with few problems.

Just give it a wipe with a cloth every few weeks to stop grit scratching it up.

There have been stories of 'masts getting stuck, but tbh they probably left it in there for about a year. Its only if you cycle by the sea (which I do), where the salt can kick start electrolysis when you need to be a little proactive, otherwise, you'll be fine.  1

My alloy post did get stuck in my steel Condor, but that's a different story...

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

a lot of alloy bikes come spec'd with carbon posts so it really isn't a problem.

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a carbon seat post on my alloy frame and no issues at all.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the above, had a carbon post in an alloy frame for years with no problems

Psycling | 11 years ago
0 likes

Been riding an alloy frame with carbon seat post for the last two years as a winter trainer/commuter. Not experienced any problems so far.

Latest Comments