Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Ultimate CF fit?

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone else had/has a similar thing.

On my Canyon CF 12 I don't feel like I can put enough weight on the front when cornering thus making it feel a bit scetchy. Initially I thought it was due to the front end being high, but after getting a -17 stem as well as a 5mm spacer on top of the bearings and using a normal top cap (from Giant's OD2) it still feels like it did before more or less, though of course slightly better.

By comparison on my Allez '10 it felt absolutely spot on when cornering on the drops.

The overall geo is similar in terms of stack and height. Using the same handlebars as on the Allez and also a 120mm stem. I could not find the fork trail values, but from looking at it, the Canyon seems to have less - could that be the factor?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

So just to update:

just been on a hilly ride where I got out of the saddle a lot and hills were quite steep in places which would shift me further forward. On the Canyon I keep hitting my knees on the handlebars if I completely relax so always have to shift my body back to avoid which does not feel natural really - on the Allez I could completely relax and climb as I wanted, there might be an occasional brush of the knee but it would be an exception and would happen during an unusual movement - in other words did not restrict at all during climbing on any steepness of hill. As for the descending - I feel maybe about 50%-60% as sure footed on the Canyon when descending due to not being able to fully press on the drops.

Long story short: this bike does not seem to fit me, even though all the measurements seem within reason. Out of ideas apart from maybe trying a 130mm stem to see if that sorts knees bumping.

I also don't mean to slag Canyon off. The frame itself is pretty outstanding in stiffness and also has a way of being firmer than my Allez while less harsh over bumps etc. If only it fitted as the Allez!

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah the differences between allez and canyon are similarly small, maybe even smaller. Maybe a slightly longer tt would help. Will have to play with bars and maybe get a 110 stem. As now it feels a bit longer than allez.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

What about the rest of the geo's ?
I had an Allez and a Nanolight and whilst I was comfy
within seconds on the Nanolight I could never get the
allez dialled in - sold to Gkam in the end and bought
a TK3!

Allez 54cm frame
548mm TT, 145mm HT, stack 547mm, reach 387mm

Nanolight 53cm frame
555mm TT, 155mm HT, stack 557mm, reach 389mm

As you can see there's only minor differences but those
couple of mm made the Allez feel horrible compared to the
nanolight !!

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

many thanks!

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I got a 60  10

Also consider note that you can ask for any stem in the first 30 days without any payment - I did not realise they had a -17 stem at the time so had to pay £60 to get one from them.

0 likes

Thanks! a 60 I presume then?  7

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

NFE - The seattube angle is identical with allez, head angle is 0.25 degree steeper and the stock handlebar vs one moved from allez did not really make it, though did improve.

LP - I'm about 188cm, slightly smaller arm span than my height with shorter torso and longer legs. I do wonder what the 58 might have been like as the reach is identical and stack is about 2cm lower - so would save you getting the special spacer if you want to go as low as is possible on the 60. Of course you must have heard about the 30 day return as long as you ride it in dry and very carefully etc. I think it's probably easier to just go there and try it out if you can - a £100 maybe, but you get to try the bike and visit Hermany.

Funnily enough having just been out I tried to lean into it in a slightly different way and it did give a better feeling, so maybe I just need to really fine tune the handlebar position... but I really cba moving the hoods! Why so much trouble just to move them a few mms. :'(

0 likes

how tall are you and what size frame do you use, out of interest? Can't decide on whether a 58cm or a 60cm for myself. I am 188cm.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dunno but I'll be interested in keeping an eye on this thread, since I can see myself buying one at some point. Laid-back seat tube? Short reach on the handlebars?

Latest Comments